• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Calthrop

Established Member
One is presumably the October revolution in Russia; is the second the entry of the USA into the war?

Your first, correct -- your second, no: the event in mind, is "related" to the correct first. (Continue to think, "calendar nonsense".)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevconnor

It's the two revolutions in Russia in 1917 one called the March revolution, the other called the October Revolution.

The Russians were operating under I believe the Gregorian calendar whereas the western world had switched to the Julian calendar so in Russia the first Revolution which saw the Russian royal family deposed happened in Match but to the rest of the western world it was in February. The second revolution saw the Bolsheviks come to power is called the October revolution but I think may have happened in November.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Am sure Russia was still using a different calender then - Gregorian? So the revolution happened on different dates depending which one they were using. Think this why Russian Orthodox Christmas is a different date to say Greek Orthodox?

Calthrop

Established Member
It's the two revolutions in Russia in 1917 one called the March revolution, the other called the October Revolution.

The Russians were operating under I believe the Gregorian calendar whereas the western world had switched to the Julian calendar so in Russia the first Revolution which saw the Russian royal family deposed happened in Match but to the rest of the western world it was in February. The second revolution saw the Bolsheviks come to power is called the October revolution but I think may have happened in November.

You’re essentially right – but details-wise, “you’ve got it backwards”. The more advanced and accurate calendar is the Gregorian, which Europe has gradually switched to over the centuries – from the older and less-accurate Julian calendar. (It was largely religious stuff, which caused various countries to delay adopting the Gregorian calendar.) In the early 20th century, Russia was the last major European country to stick to the Julian cal. (the new Communist government switched to the Gregorian in 1918). 100 years ago, Julian and Gregorian were thirteen days “out of synch”: whereby the early-1917 Revolution which deposed the Tsar, happened late in Julian February but early in Gregorian March – gone down into history as the February Revolution. Late-1917 Revolution which brought the Bolsheviks to power, happened late in Julian October but early in Gregorian November – similar result.

Am sure Russia was still using a different calender then - Gregorian? So the revolution happened on different dates depending which one they were using. Think this why Russian Orthodox Christmas is a different date to say Greek Orthodox?

By my understanding: secular-wise, Russia (as above) switched to the Gregorian calendar in 1918. The Eastern Orthodox Church -- if I have things rightly, doing things same way in Russia and Greece and wherever else it obtains -- has continued to stick with the Julian calendar, regardless of what "worldlings" may do. So if you're one of the fairly few Russians who give a damn about Christmas -- for you, Christmas Day is on Jan. 7th.

kevconnor-- you have the two events right: the new Republic is yours, Comrade -- have fun ! (Me, I'm off to Paris to be a waiter or taxi-driver.)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The following is a famous quote by Eamon De Valera

"It is indeed hard for the strong to be just to the weak, but acting justly always has its rewards."

Why did De Valera make this comment.

I believe this was in response to British criticism of the Free State's neutrality during WWII.

kevconnor

I believe this was in response to British criticism of the Free State's neutrality during WWII.

Correct, it was part of a wider radio speech made by De Velera in response to comments made by Churchill in his VE day speech saying he came close to considering invading Ireland in order to better protect UK Atlantic Convoys.

And the Airwaves are yours.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It's a long shot, but are they both (semi extinct?) volcanos which are still monitored by the authorities?

I know that there's a monitoring "station" on Etna - but I haven't heard of the other place, hence this guess.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Etna is an Anglicised Irish girls name, anything to do with that?

I don't think any girl would want to be called Knocklayd she might be subject to all sorts of innuendo.

Is it made of "volcanic/igneous" rock ?

I'm pretty sure that Etna is still active.

Knocklayd is basalt which is an igneous rock but that's neither unusual nor distinct.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Is it something to do with filming locations. I'll go with Star Wars as they used Etna in Revenge of the Sith & they were filming in Ireland for the last one.

Calthrop

Established Member
Not, I suppose, that both have, or have had, narrow-gauge railways in close proximity to them? Etna, the 950mm gauge Ferrovia Circumetnea (still running); Knocklayd, the 3ft gauge Ballymoney -- Ballycastle line (abandoned 1950).

DaleCooper

Established Member
Not, I suppose, that both have, or have had, narrow-gauge railways in close proximity to them? Etna, the 950mm gauge Ferrovia Circumetnea (still running); Knocklayd, the 3ft gauge Ballymoney -- Ballycastle line (abandoned 1950).

Again I'd say narrow gauge railways near mountains are neither unusual nor distinctive.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it something to do with the shape of them? Are they geographically a very similar shape?
(That's all I've got sorry)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
As it's open floor here's a question from me:

What unusual distinction is shared by Mount Etna and Knocklayd (NI)?

Okay, I'll now pop in with what I think is the right answer (I have some family near Knocklayd so I hope I am not cheating...!)

Knocklayd's only unusual feature is that its summit is the convergence of ten townland district boundaries. Therefore, Etna must also share the same distinction, perhaps municipal boundaries?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Okay, I'll now pop in with what I think is the right answer (I have some family near Knocklayd so I hope I am not cheating...!)

Knocklayd's only unusual feature is that its summit is the convergence of ten townland district boundaries. Therefore, Etna must also share the same distinction, perhaps municipal boundaries?

It would be a strange world if knowing the answer was cheating! You are correct of course, details below courtesy of Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadripoint#Multipoints_of_greater_numerical_complexity

In Northern Ireland, ten townlands meet at the summit of Knocklayd (clearly shown by Ordnance Survey mapping at point 311518 436392).[55][56][57] The townlands are, clockwise from north, Broom-More, Tavnaghboy, Kilrobert, Clare Mountain, Aghaleck, Corvally, Essan, Cleggan, Stroan and Tullaghore.
Map of municipalities in the province of Catania, Sicily, Italy

Similarly in Italy, the borders of ten municipalities meet on the summit of Mount Etna. These municipalities are Adrano, Biancavilla, Belpasso, Bronte, Castiglione di Sicilia, Maletto, Nicolosi, Randazzo, Sant'Alfio, Zafferana Etnea. The territory of Bronte touches the summit of Mount Etna from two sides, making this decimunicipal point one of elevenfold complexity, and thus evidently the most complicated geopolitical multipoint anywhere, other than the South Pole (see above section).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What act of defiance did one inhabitant of Exeter famously perform when William the Conqueror tried to force the city's allegiance to him in 1068?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would the answer be farting in his general direction?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes! A rebellious Exonian did fart at William and his army as they laid siege to the city. One of the earliest historical records of farting in England.

A method of communication understood in all languages.

I'll keep it local and fairly easy. What caused the Exeter Ship Canal (one of the earliest UK canals) to be proposed and built?

Calthrop

Established Member
A method of communication understood in all languages.

I'll keep it local and fairly easy. What caused the Exeter Ship Canal (one of the earliest UK canals) to be proposed and built?

To circumvent the weirs made on the River Exe south of Exeter a good many centuries ago, by local dignitaries for their own purposes -- thus disrupting carriage of goods to and from the city on the river, and occasioning expensive and complicated trans-shipment.

TheEdge

Established Member
Did someone want to have a way of getting ships from the Bristol Channel to the English channel without needing to go all the way round Cornwall?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Calthrop has it.
The Exe was navigable up to Exeter before the Countess of Devon, Isabella de Fortibus put weirs in place in the area that is now called... Countess Wear.
It actually took centuries to build the canal after the original barriers went up however, Topsham being used as the main port during this period, the first weirs went up in 1290 and the original canal wasn't opened until the 1560s (the river was well silted by then)

The Edge - there were plans to join the canal up with the Grand Union at Tiverton so to avoid the long way around via Lands End, but this was later and I think the railways pretty much knocked that on the head. It would have gone past my house though and it would have made things very different around here...

The lock handle (or windlass :)) is yours Mr Calthrop.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks, Cowley. I have the advantage that a relative of mine is living in Dawlish Warren these days -- a while back, he and I went on one of the cruises run at a few weekends in the summer by Stuart Lines, from Exmouth up the canal to the centre of Exeter and back, with informative commentary.

Another one in the general "borders" area -- though not about mountains.

There are in the world, two "double-landlocked" nations -- i.e. to get from them to a seacoast, one has to go through not just one, but two, other countries. "Seacoast" here, refers to the interconnected "world ocean" -- totally-inland seas don't count. Please name the two nations concerned.

Last edited: