• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
UN 51, EU 6, NATO 5, OPEC 6 and CSTO 12

2 of 5.

Also, I blame the following admission on a week of night shifts but I made to mistakes in the question.

UN, EU, NATO, OPEC, CSTO

5, 12, 6, 51, 9.

Please note a 6 is now a 9, I misread my source when fact checking. One person has got that body right, everyone else has got it wrong. If people feel thats too much of a cock up I could declare an open source in disgrace.

deltic1989

Established Member
Which word links infrastructure, a Scottish castle and a national leader?

Balfour Balfour Castle in Orkney, Arthur Balfour, Former prime Minister, Balfour Beatty Infrastructure Maintenance company.

TheEdge hasn't declared open floor yet.

Now we have cleared that question out of the way, I believe TheEdge has the floor. :D

Calthrop

Established Member
Likely an easy one, I feel: anyway – a “what’s wrong with this historical-fiction item?” question. It’s summer 1625; King Charles I and his bride the French princess Henrietta Maria, are on a progress around their kingdom. They stay for a while at a palace called Blenheim in a village called Woodstock.

What is not right, here? (I came across it in a real, actually published, “historical” novel.)

DaleCooper

Established Member
As it's a novel it's presumably written from the perspective of someone contemporary with Charles I in which case he would be known simply as King Charles, not becoming Charles I until Charles II appeared on the scene.

CarltonA

The battle of Blenheim did not take place until 1704. The palace was named after the battle in which the Duke of Marlborough distinguished himself.

Calthrop

Established Member
They actually went to Yasgur's Farm.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Yasgur for those who don't get it.)

And I'd been thinking all this time, that that Woodstock was in Vermont...

The battle of Blenheim did not take place until 1704. The palace was named after the battle in which the Duke of Marlborough distinguished himself.

me123: indeed, not built yet. CarltonA: you've given full "chapter and verse", though -- thanks.

(I carried on with the novel for a while after reading about C First and his Mrs. at Blenheim in 1625 -- thinking that just one crass error might be forgiveable -- but quite soon concluded for other reasons, that the book was rubbish, and abandoned it. Feel robbed by paying £2 for it at the charity shop...)

CarltonA, you have the floor.

DaleCooper

Established Member
me123: indeed, not built yet. CarltonA: you've given full "chapter and verse", though -- thanks.

(I carried on with the novel for a while after reading about C First and his Mrs. at Blenheim in 1625 -- thinking that just one crass error might be forgiveable -- but quite soon concluded for other reasons, that the book was rubbish, and abandoned it. Feel robbed by paying £2 for it at the charity shop...)

CarltonA, you have the floor.

Surely me123 was first with the correct answer. In fact CarltonA didn't mention that the palace wasn't built.

Calthrop

Established Member
Surely me123 was first with the correct answer. In fact CarltonA didn't mention that the palace wasn't built.

I'd stand by what I said -- IMO CarltonA's second sentence follows logically from his first, with implication that the palace obviously had not been built 80 years before the battle of Blenheim. me123's phrasing appears as though he was making something of a guess in the dark; if there'd been no answer after his, I'd have replied to his: "it wasn't; can you, here, give any further detail?"

I'm ready to be corrected, should I come to feel that would be appropriate. Can we refer it to quiz-magisterial authority for a decision? (DC, do you have such authority, or are you just offering your opinion?) me123, do you feel ill-used here?

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
I'd stand by what I said -- IMO CarltonA's second sentence follows logically from his first, with implication that the palace obviously had not been built 80 years before the battle of Blenheim. me123's phrasing appears as though he was making something of a guess in the dark; if there'd been no answer after his, I'd have replied to his: "it wasn't; can you, here, give any further detail?"

I'm ready to be corrected, should I come to feel that would be appropriate. Can we refer it to quiz-magisterial authority for a decision? (DC, do you have such authority, or are you just offering your opinion?) me123, do you feel ill-used here?

If I were me123 I would be extremely miffed. If the question had been "What was the date of the battle of Blenheim, who distinguished himself there and which palace is named after it?" then CarltonA would be correct but that wasn't the question.

The important point was that the palace didn't exist in 1625 as me123 said and a shot in the dark is fine if it's right.

CarltonA

I'm fine with me123 taking the floor, I was just giving a bit more detail about why there would have been no such place in 1625.

Calthrop

Established Member
CarltonA -- if you and me123 are both happy with him taking the floor: absolutely fine by me -- I see my point; but also see, that which regards me as having been out of line.

deltic1989

Established Member
Since 3 days have elapsed since the last post on this thread I invoke the rule laid out in post one, and seize the floor :D

Which car has appeared the most in film and television? (for full marks I'm looking for the make and model)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Since 3 days have elapsed since the last post on this thread I invoke the rule laid out in post one, and seize the floor :D

Which car has appeared the most in film and television? (for full marks I'm looking for the make and model)

Are we restricted to British film and television, or worldwide?

deltic1989

Established Member
I was afraid you were going to say that! I'm going to have a guess and say Ford Crown Victoria, since it's fairly ubiquitous in taxi or police car guise.

I had rather hoped that that question would go on a little longer, however according to my list you are correct.
With 2358 appearances the humble Crown Vic wins by a country mile. 361 more than the second place Ford Mustang.

Source

You are 10-8 good sir.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I had rather hoped that that question would go on a little longer, however according to my list you are correct.
With 2358 appearances the humble Crown Vic wins by a country mile. 361 more than the second place Ford Mustang.

Source

You are 10-8 good sir.

I'm surprised the Willys Jeep isn't mentioned in that list, they appear in just about every war film.