• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

TheEdge

Established Member
Go on then.

Morgan Freeman's performance in the Shawshank Redemption is a cinematic masterclass. But what makes it so odd he got the job?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Wow, my first guess (and it would have been a guess) was that the character in the book was white.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
When the director of The Sound of Music was discussing the production with Salzburgs city officials they hit a snag.

Many of the older city leaders (who remembered the annexation) were uncomfortable with the Nazi flags being draped over the town hall & other notable buildings.

What did the studio threaten to do which made them agree to the shots eventually seen in the movie?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Not advancing the quiz in any way -- but if I'm right, wasn't what actually happened: the Von Trapps just got on a train and went to Italy?

Correct. The day before the borders were closed. A clue. If they were refused permission to drape nazi emblems over city buildings what could the studio use instead to depict events?

martinsh

Established Member
Ooh ! Didn't expect that. total guess.

OK. Staying Austrian.

Here's an easy one. To what feature of Salzburg was a local official referring when he (recently) described it as having an "upside-down railway" ?

Calthrop

Established Member
Here's an easy one. To what feature of Salzburg was a local official referring when he (recently) described it as having an "upside-down railway" ?

With use of Google being unsporting; am guessing that -- small crumb of maybe-info here -- he was referring to what Bryan Morgan, writing 60+ years ago, briefly mentions as the city's "ungentle funicular".

Calthrop

Established Member
Not quite sure what you mean here, but Nope.

Feel free to Google, I don't think it will help

Have Googled. Nothing, I suppose, to do with the ride-on-rails for visitors to the salt mine at Hallein, near Salzburg?

Morgan, in The End of the Line, can be very curt / enigmatic / tantalising. Writing of Salzburg in the book, his words (correct as at the mid-1950s) are: "Salzburg is the centre for two independent light railways, in addition to having an ungentle funicular." And "that's all he wrote".

Calthrop

Established Member

What links the following?

A fictional city
A town in England
A female dwarf
A ghost
A genus of butterflies

There can be seen as applicable to all: two-syllable words with endings in the "am / om / on" ballpark.

fictional city: Gotham (where Batman does his thing)

English town: Grantham

female dwarf: bantam -- well, a dwarf female chicken; wasn't there a British steam loco prototype called, at least as a nickname, Bantam Hen (and her mate Bantam Cock)?

ghost: phantom

butterfly genus: Sithon

DaleCooper

Established Member
There can be seen as applicable to all: two-syllable words with endings in the "am / om / on" ballpark.

fictional city: Gotham (where Batman does his thing)

English town: Grantham

female dwarf: bantam -- well, a dwarf female chicken; wasn't there a British steam loco prototype called, at least as a nickname, Bantam Hen (and her mate Bantam Cock)?

ghost: phantom

butterfly genus: Sithon

The link is much less nebulous.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I thought a female Dwarf is still a Dwarf. Your reference to nebulous leads me to planets or clouds.

Are they all types of planet ? Maybe stars ?

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
I thought a female Dwarf is still a Dwarf. Your reference to nebulous leads me to planets or clouds.

Are they all types of planet ? Maybe stars ?

In the case of fictional dwarves presumably the creator of that fiction can give the sexes different names. The use of "nebulous" was reference to the previous post and was not meant as a clue.

The answer is neither planets nor stars.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Here's my go at it. (I hope I don't spoil it.)

Female Dwarfs are few and far between. Apparently they're all male in Norse mythology. In the Tolkien mythology they're so seldom seen, many men believe that dwarf women don't even exist. His appendices to the Lord of the Rings state the only dwarf-woman named is Dís, daughter of Thrain II. That matches a town, but I don't know about any of the other categories...

Fictional city: ?
English town: Diss
Female dwarf: Dís
Ghost: ?
Butterfly genus: ?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Here's my go at it. (I hope I don't spoil it.)

Female Dwarfs are few and far between. Apparently they're all male in Norse mythology. In the Tolkien mythology they're so seldom seen, many men believe that dwarf women don't even exist. His appendices to the Lord of the Rings state the only dwarf-woman named is Dís, daughter of Thrain II. That matches a town, but I don't know about any of the other categories...

Fictional city: ?
English town: Diss
Female dwarf: Dís
Ghost: ?
Butterfly genus: ?

Now I can't use my brilliant clue which was "Dat's de wrong answer" because you have got most of it.

Having got that far you might as well have googled "Dis" to see if you could find the rest which are:

Dis - a fictional city (The Divine Comedy)
Diss - a town in England
Dis - a female dwarf (Tolkein)
Dis - a ghost, spirit or deity (Norse mythology)
Dis - a genus of skippers in the butterfly family Hesperiidae

You did the hard bit so it's your turn...