• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

theageofthetra

On Moderation
That's correct, what on earth do you get up to in your spare time?

Your turn...

Off work with a broken hand!-can't do much.

During the so called British Invasion of the 60's US music scene many US artists struggled with records sales and were seen as old hat.

One however bucked the trend and in 1968 outsold all the Beatles sales in the US that year.

Who was it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Glen Campbell?

Correct. He became a massive star once he got a prime time slot on The Smothers Brothers show- at the time one of the biggest shows in the US. When the Smothers made one anti Vietnam comment too many CBS fired them and gave Glen his own show as he was seen as Republican and 'safe'

Your Lineman..

Calthrop

Established Member
These New Zealand wildlife species do not all belong to the same zoological family. Which is the odd one out? (Please give as full details as possible.)

kakapo

kea

kokako

kaka

TheEdge

Established Member
Its Kaka, the other three are endemic bird species of New Zealand, no idea what kaka is.

Calthrop

Established Member
Its Kaka, the other three are endemic bird species of New Zealand, no idea what kaka is.

I disagree with you here, I'm afraid: Google "kaka -- bird". However, they are indeed all birds (as tends to be the way to bet with NZ fauna !).

TheEdge

Established Member
You said I could google Kaka so I did.

So then my next guess is the kokako is the only one that isn't a parrot.

Calthrop

Established Member
You said I could google Kaka so I did.

So then my next guess is the kokako is the only one that isn't a parrot.

Correct: the kokako or "New Zealand crow" belongs to the family Calleidae or wattlebirds. The other three are indeed types of parrot -- family Strigopidae. (Stephen Fry has observed that New Zealand's birds would seem to have been named by a rather rude ten-year-old.)

Your floor.

TheEdge

Established Member
A well known international food chain got in trouble for using some, lets say interesting, characters in an advertising campaign. Which company was it and who did they use?

fowler9

Established Member
I suspect that three of them (including Kea and Kakapo) are flightless so one of the others can fly - but which one?

The Kea is the worlds only Alpine parrot? And it eats bits of cars? Sorry, didn't read the whole thread.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
A well known international food chain got in trouble for using some, lets say interesting, characters in an advertising campaign. Which company was it and who did they use?

Was it the Company that made Kia Ora orange juice (Maori for Hello if you translate it simply)? The advert featured a little black boy with his dog being chased by crows after his drink.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Was it the Company that made Kia Ora orange juice (Maori for Hello if you translate it simply)? The advert featured a little black boy with his dog being chased by crows after his drink.

"It's too orangey for crows; it's just for me and my dog."

Now there's lovely nostalgia :D

fowler9

Established Member
"It's too orangey for crows; it's just for me and my dog."

Now there's lovely nostalgia :D

Yeah, ha ha, would love to know why they called it Kia Ora. Seems to have little to do with New Zealand. Apologies for going off subject. The question has me temporarily stumped, I have an itch in my brain which knows the answer though.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
I'll say international fast food chain, although it was a single country chain that made the advert.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
This must be the one mocking that replusive dictator Mugabe. I can't remember which chain it was though but their staff in the former Rhodesia were attacked by his 'Hitler Youth' type hate group.

TheEdge

Established Member
That'll do, it was Nandos South Africa with their Last Dictator Standing advert (available on YouTube). A sad Robert Mugabe laying a meal for Gaddafi, Mao, Hussein, Botha and Amin...

Your manicial floor

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Other than the better climate for filming outdoors what was the primary reason for the US film industry relocating from its existing East Coast (NY/NJ/Philly) location to a minor village on the outskirts of LA called Hollywood?

Calthrop

Established Member
Other than the better climate for filming outdoors what was the primary reason for the US film industry relocating from its existing East Coast (NY/NJ/Philly) location to a minor village on the outskirts of LA called Hollywood?

Film-making in the east of the US had -- from the start -- been regulated and controlled with a heavy hand, and lawsuit-plagued, especially by the Motion Picture Patents Company. California was as far away distance-wise as it was possible to get from this stuff, in the same country -- things altogether freer-and-easier in California -- and Mexico was only a hundred miles away from Los Angeles, if a pursuit-proof "escape hatch" were required.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Film-making in the east of the US had -- from the start -- been regulated and controlled with a heavy hand, and lawsuit-plagued, especially by the Motion Picture Patents Company. California was as far away distance-wise as it was possible to get from this stuff, in the same country -- things altogether freer-and-easier in California -- and Mexico was only a hundred miles away from Los Angeles, if a pursuit-proof "escape hatch" were required.

Spot on. The Edisson co in particular used to send agents out to filming locations and shut down shoots using their equipment without licence.

Your studio