• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow & Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finfanero

Good Evening,

I am planning 2 days in Scotland shortly.

Where are the best place for knocking off my units

Sunday Night Hotel in Glasgow

Monday Night Hotel in Edinburgh

Looking for best place to do peak in Glasgow & Edinburgh

Any local advice would be great.

Also where are all units stabled during the days ?

Maybe worth a trip out to these stabling points.

Any Advice or Ideas ??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Best places for Glasgow is Queen Street High Level for the DMUs, Hyndland for EMUs (picked over Partick due to having an island platform), and Central High Level for both long distance units, plus EMUs and 156s.

Shields depot is located (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) on the line towards Paisley Gilmour Street, sitting on the left hand side on departure from Glasgow Central. Corkerhill is on the Paisley Canal line, plus you get some DMUs stabled just north of Queen Street. Although it being a Sunday there will be less floating around.

I would say Haymarket is better for Edinburgh stuff (less walking!), although you will need to pop to Edinburgh to ID any VTEC 91s and the odd service to North Berwick/Dunbar/Tweedbank. Haymarket depot is just outside Haymarket station, I believe you can grab some stuff from the tram line.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You'll see jack squat from the tramline, depends on what's on the Edinburgh end of the back road!

Haymarket tends to empty out from half 3 onwards, the bulk around 4pm from memory. You'll see a lot during the day from the bridge over the platforms at Haymarket anyway. As Kite says, the InterCity stuff won't generally come out that far though (save for the 2 hourly Virgin, TPX and XC stuff), so you'll need Waverley. I camped out at the end of platform 16 the other day and could ID most stuff but nothing on 1-4 or 7-10. 3 and 4 are usually quiet and just the North Berwick/Tweedbank services using them, but even the Edinburgh to Glasgow stuff can use 7 and did on one occasion on Friday. Some of the ECML stuff uses 2, and 8/9 get a surprising amount of use now.

DMUs on the Glasgow side live at Eastfield depot, seen on the right hand side heading towards Bishopbriggs coming from Glasgow. You will need to write fast here, as by the time you get out here you'll be going at a fair rate of knots. Viewing it after 4pm is pointless, as it's more or less completely deserted by then. Getting to Queen Street between 3 and 4 will get you quite a few 156s, 158s and 170s.

EMUs in Glasgow, you can pass Yoker depot on the trains (left hand side when heading away from Glasgow) but won't have much on in the daytime. As per other depots, it'll be empty by about 4pm for a few hours. Hyndland is the best place to spot them though, you'll get loads there in a couple of hours.

Paisley Gilmour Street is good for 380s but the best spot overall is at Glasgow Central, country end of platforms 1 or 10 will get you almost everything in and out. Lots of movements out of Corkerhill and Shields depots between half 3 and 4, but I would advise asking someone else for confirmation.

palmersears

Established Member
Thanks to Finfanero for starting this, saved me the job of doing so before my trip up over the border in a couple of weeks!

Thanks also to Tech and Kite for their excellent advice. With this in mind I'm thinking of loitering at Central for 2-3 hours when I arrive at 1630, then heading across to Queen Street for the evening given my hotel is around that way. Saturday I'll do Hyndland first thing, then head across to Haymarket for rest of the day. Might venutre to Waverley for the Tweedbank stuff, but given I only need 2 91s I won't be staying for too long unless gen arrives to confirm they might be in attendance.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would be tempted to say head to Hyndland instead of Central as you will get your books filled up a lot faster with 318/320/334s

palmersears

Established Member
Interesting. Would you perhaps suggest Hyndland, then Queen Street on the Friday, then Central followed by Edinburgh on the Saturday?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hyndland in the peak will get you lots of pairs of EMUs (still too many singles running for my liking though) and festering at the Glasgow end will keep you well out of the way of the commuters. Strongly recommend a nice and hot beverage to keep you warm at this time of year though, and I recommend Bean2Cup near the exit at Partick. £2.30 for a XL hot drink gets you a cup approximately a Costa medium size if that helps, and it's cash only. Worth it though :)

Haymarket, again at this time of year get a hot drink going on to keep warm. Country end of platforms 2/3 is best for just spotting and some photos, and Pumpkin is on platform 4, nothing better around I'm afraid. A decent pair of binos will get you some of what's on Haymarket depot from that end, although by no means anywhere near all or it.

palmersears

Established Member
That's that settled then!

I arrive at Central at 1630, so I'll pop across to the hotel and then hopefully arrive at Hyndland about 1715. There I shall remain until the duds wrack up, at which point I'll head across to Queen Street and do likewise.

Saturday I shall start at Central, then head across to Haymarket/Waverley for 1100ish and stay until the winners dry up. Depending upon what time this occurs I'll either head back to Glasgow and hit one of the terminals, or go to bed!

Sunday my train from Central is at 11ish, so I'll have a couple of further hours there maybe.

Many thanks for the assistance as always chaps!

mildertduck

I enjoyed a bit of spotting from the access road to the COSLA conference centre in Haymarket the other week - enables you to see all trains through the station without having to go through the barriers. I stayed in the Tune Hotel opposite the station, in a small box. Good enough for my needs, though!

palmersears

Established Member
I notice it's the six nations rugby at Murreyfield on Saturday, are services through Haymarket likely to be strengthened as a result?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SimonC

There's a 'waiting room' at the Waverley end of the middle platforms at Haymarket. It doesn't get used, has a power point for phone charging and a button to turn a heater on... large windows with good visibility.... like your own office when I've been in there :)

Enjoy!
S

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I notice it's the six nations rugby at Murreyfield on Saturday, are services through Haymarket likely to be strengthened as a result?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would imagine whatever can be strengthened will be, but expect big crowds. Staying at the west end of the platforms may not actually be a bad idea as you'll be out of the way, but it does get a tad narrow. Nothing too bad but worth bearing in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.