• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Going through the ranks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Afternoon all

I am after a career change (ie I want a real career) and I really want to become a train driver. I have been reading up on it for a long time and have spoken to various people I know in the profession I am ready to commit to the process.

The thing is all the people I know who are drivers did so via other jobs in rail, ie guards and ticket office etc. I am not against going down this route if needs be, the only thing holding me back is I would struggle to support my family long term on those kind of wages (the wife works but it would be difficult for us on her wages plus me on under £20k). Is it possible to become a train driver without starting in another rail job first?

Please feel free to point me to any similar threads, but I would love to hear from people who are, or have been in the same situation.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tlionhart

Yes it is possible, in fact more than certain I can say you don't need to be an internal in order to get a job with a TOC as a driver.
Be warned though, the trainee salary is as low as it gets...made clear in interview, made clear on the job description and made clear everywhere else I can think...

driver9000

Established Member
Yes it is possible to become a Driver off the street. I did and so did many of my colleagues. On my training course only 2 were from other roles within the company.

signal

The low trainee wage isnt a problem as long as its over £20k. Any positions lower than that would be a bit of a no go.

As you are both around, would you have any tips on making my application stand out (when one finally gets posted)? I assume there will be a section to state why you will be good in the role.

Thanks

tlionhart

Be honest and factual throughout the process. Get help from friends, family, the Google web on CVs and applications if you need to remove cob webs from the cv. Apart from that just read the job description, should also include salary, criteria. Any skills you have and feel relevant put them down.

Beano123

You can apply externally to become a train driver.

It is significantly easier to apply internally through a company though.

When I applied externally I was told that there were 5 jobs for around 7000 applicants. While it might not be as high as that there are *always* a lot of applicants and job vacancies aren't advertised for long.

When I applied internally there where about 240 applicants per job or something along those lines so applying internally can make a big difference. Plus you also get to have a better idea of rules and regulations that apply to many aspects of the railway as well as the culture and language that is used. Make no mistake, even internal applicants have an awful lot to learn!

Have a look at:- http://www.northern.engageats.co.uk/ViewVacancy.aspx?enc=mEgrBL4XQK0+ld8aNkwYmGmMeSfn2Uejke73aagOKRuIkwprc+Sc5/rXRj6ZEEfEXsjp1Ipd0Ol+j7hzujXcLCOeFawKajfCzJkHeKZT/jeTRsfHhWnIUkrLtRvs+nWs

No guarantee of how long the vacancy at Liverpool will be advertised for though!

While Northern is one of the lower paying TOCs you need to be aware of the following:-

Train Driver

Circa £19,000 per annum rising to circa £44,000 + potential shift allowance and overtime (once training period is complete – up to 3 years) and excellent benefits

You *may* be able to do Sundays/Rest Days and a bit of overtime when you get sent to the depot and get an instructor but I wouldn't count on it. The training course is 9 - 12 months and then the wage rises to ~£32,000 for the first year. You will be sent to depot after about 3 months and might have to wait an extra month until you get a chance to do overtime.

The alternative option is to apply to something like a conductor job (one advertised at Sheffield - ~£25,000 PA.) which has a much shorter, 3 month training course. There is of course a training wage but as its only for 3 months it should make less of an impact.

The main advice I would give is that you're application form and interview technique have to be pretty much perfect to stand a chance of getting the job - mainly as there's so much competition. The second piece of advice is to do as much research on the application process as possible.

Whatever you decide to do good luck!

signal

Much appreciated.

Relocation isnt really an option right now, so I might look at getting in doing a different role.

BestWestern

Established Member
You won't find any Guards on under £20k; the rate is generally around £30k dependant on TOC. With some overtime and commission etc there are plenty taking home well clear of £40k. I wouldn't recommend applying if you have no interest at all in the job, but if you're happy to do it for a while then it's certainly a foot firmly in the door.

Stigy

Established Member
You won't find any Guards on under £20k; the rate is generally around £30k dependant on TOC. With some overtime and commission etc there are plenty taking home well clear of £40k. I wouldn't recommend applying if you have no interest at all in the job, but if you're happy to do it for a while then it's certainly a foot firmly in the door.
A lot of railway jobs are over £20k, in fact, other than dateline positions, I'd say most are well over that. Ticket Office staff are usually on around £22/£23k plus any overtime and enhancements, Guards as you say are on around £30k. Station staff often take home over £30k a year too. Take in to account the fact that you often also don't have to pay to get in to work due to free travel, the perks soon add up.

signal

Sorry for asking a newbie question, but what are dateline positions?

Sounds like there a lot of positions that will be great to get a foot in the door, so happy that I can apply for these given the £20k+ ranges.

Having read a few threads about newly advertised trainee driver jobs, it appears many of the applications are quickly closed due to high volume of interest. What kind of questions do they ask? I am going to have a think about possible answers before any positions are advertised, that way I will not have to rush my answers worrying about the vacancy being closed before the proposed deadline.

455driver

Veteran Member
Gateline not dateline.
It is manning the line of automatic ticket gates at stations to help all the people that are unable to use them properly, either because they are disabled, want to keep their ticket, etc, or are just plain thick!

They also have the pleasure to be on the receiving end of the abuse thrown around by the ignorant end of society and are expected to stand there and let the morons carry on because it is (according to some on here) part of the job.

It can be a good way of getting on the railway and having access to the internal vacancy list but it can also be a soul destroying job which will put you off humanity for ever.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Afternoon all

I am after a career change (ie I want a real career) and I really want to become a train driver. I have been reading up on it for a long time and have spoken to various people I know in the profession I am ready to commit to the process.

The thing is all the people I know who are drivers did so via other jobs in rail, ie guards and ticket office etc. I am not against going down this route if needs be, the only thing holding me back is I would struggle to support my family long term on those kind of wages (the wife works but it would be difficult for us on her wages plus me on under £20k). Is it possible to become a train driver without starting in another rail job first?

Please feel free to point me to any similar threads, but I would love to hear from people who are, or have been in the same situation.

Thanks

Everything you want to know, is already on this site. Please use the search function. Driving requires initiative, so you may as well start employing some now.
Get your head around where the trainee jobs arise geographically.
I'm another that will tell you that there is no need to work in another role first, PROVIDED that you have the required competencies, and are somewhere that vacs actually exist.

Memetim

You do not need to work in the railway first. I have never worked for the railway and neither had anyone else on my particular training intake. You do however need to do your research and be prepared for a lot of work. Ensure you look into everything on here and various other sites to ensure this is what you are expecting it to be and if so then just go for it! :)

wellwhatitis

Everything you want to know, is already on this site. Please use the search function. Driving requires initiative, so you may as well start employing some now.
Get your head around where the trainee jobs arise geographically.
I'm another that will tell you that there is no need to work in another role first, PROVIDED that you have the required competencies, and are somewhere that vacs actually exist.

Lovely way to welcome a new member!

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry for asking a newbie question, but what are dateline positions?

Sounds like there a lot of positions that will be great to get a foot in the door, so happy that I can apply for these given the £20k+ ranges.

Having read a few threads about newly advertised trainee driver jobs, it appears many of the applications are quickly closed due to high volume of interest. What kind of questions do they ask? I am going to have a think about possible answers before any positions are advertised, that way I will not have to rush my answers worrying about the vacancy being closed before the proposed deadline.
Haha, just seen what happened there, the Mac didn't recognise 'gateline' as a work, which I suppose is fair enough, although it's no less a word than dateline ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.