• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got my foot in the rail industry

jayc_ncl

So after numerous attempts to get in to the rail industry, Im finally got a job in the industry.

Its working for Tyne and Wear Metro as a Customer Services Advisor on the gatline as station assistant, effecivly a "checky" but also responsible for assistant customer customers, and carry out Sub Service security and safety checks on the platform and station.

Hopeing over the next few months this will lead to an oppertunity to transfer over to one of mainline TOCs like LNER, Cross Country, Lumo, TPE or Northen

:D:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
If you go into a new job with the attitude that you will be moving to something better in a "few months", I doubt you will get very far.

Yes it will be possible to progress into different roles, either with the same company or a different one, but it's not going to happen straight away.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Congratulations, enjoy the role!

Hopeing over the next few months this will lead to an oppertunity to transfer over to one of mainline TOCs like LNER, Cross Country, Lumo, TPE or Northen

:D:D

No rush - get settled, understand your team and the industry more widely. Consider moving/progressing after 12 months at the earliest would be my suggestion.

Ducatist4

You wont really be able to transfer, you'll have to apply when vacancies are advertised the same as anyone else does.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The best piece of advice I ever got for my career was to take the time to make sure you built it on solid foundations.

You have an excellent opportunity with this role to make sure you build very solid experience in customer facing, security, operational and a whole host of other duties. Yes it isn't mainline rail, but the overwhelming majority of the tasks you will be doing will be directly applicable to any other railway job.
Take the time to get lots of examples - particularly repeated examples where you can demonstrate learning and growth in the role. It's worth spending a couple of years in a role to know how the workload flows. Also, Employers much prefer a CV that shows a decent length of time in each place.

AverageJoe

From my experience so far the ones that join wanting to progress quickly often don’t take the job they have seriously and get so desperate for the next step that they aren’t even respected or valued in their current role.

Having a foot in the door doesn’t guarantee a different job within the industry.

But if you do the job well and build a good reputation than you can possibly in time move within the current company.

As already said you would have to apply to other tocs like any other person.

Established Member
From my experience so far the ones that join wanting to progress quickly often don’t take the job they have seriously and get so desperate for the next step that they aren’t even respected or valued in their current role.

Having a foot in the door doesn’t guarantee a different job within the industry.

But if you do the job well and build a good reputation than you can possibly in time move within the current company.

As already said you would have to apply to other tocs like any other person.

Indeed. Not least because platform staff to guard, guard to driver etc. isn’t “progression” in the sense of being promoted; it’s generally just applying to do a completely different role with a different line of promotion.

Established Member
Coming from a background like T&W Metro puts you in excellent stead for moving onto the heavy rail network. Ignore the gloomy nay-sayers who claim that T&W experience means nothing... quite the opposite. At interview, if you apply those skills to the job you're applying for, you should come out ahead of those applicants from outside the industry. I know a handful who've come from T&W Metro and several from Manchester Metrolink - most are either guards or drivers nowadays. Never assume you'll get the job because of your experience, do your homework for the interview and you'll be fine.

WombleGuard

Don't listen to the 'take your time' negativity. Show your skills and worth and progress at your time. I joined the industry 4 years ago as a Guard. Became a Commercial Guard after 9 months and a Trainee Driver 2 years after that. Know your worth, prove it, and the sky's the limit.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Don't listen to the 'take your time' negativity. Show your skills and worth and progress at your time. I joined the industry 4 years ago as a Guard. Became a Commercial Guard after 9 months and a Trainee Driver 2 years after that. Know your worth, prove it, and the sky's the limit.

9 months is fine (albeit minimum imo). "A few months" to me reads as 2-4 months, which you'd still basically only have just qualified and passed training etc.

For me I'd suggest from 12 months start to apply, although of course consider your options before your anniversary. This is presuming you're doing a good job!

Established Member

Equally, why not simply apply for the job you actually want to do in the first place? That’s what happens in most industries. If you really want to be a driver, what’s the point of spending years being a guard first?

From a cold financial perspective it also makes no sense, as that’s years of substantially lower earnings, pension contributions, mortgage repayment potential etc. that you won’t get back before retirement age.

They’re also very different jobs. Those who make good guards won’t necessarily make good drivers, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Kelki

I’m assuming you don’t mean ‘transfer’ (but progress to working for) as these are all different companies which you aspire to work for. Yes you will hopefully gain the experience but you would still need to apply. Best of luck and take what you can from every opportunity it may open your eyes and progress you in a different direction than you thought.