• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - Trainee Mainline/Depot Driver - Various (12/04/24)

Samzino

Actually It just seems to be an SJT. Had a crack on with one of my sent assessment emails. I assume the other two are just the same, a single SJT. Only requires most effective answer, no need like in some SJTs to find the least effective.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SimonC1986

Hey all, just joined the forum having applied last week for a Trainee position at Norwich.

Received my assessment email which I will do tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the info so far in the thread.

Greeny1

Yes, it's not timed. I've done it once before. It just needs to be completed within 7 days or 6 days.
As said it’s not a line of promotion currently from depot driver to mainline. You would need to go through classroom training again then the full 288 hours with a driver instructor before pass out.
Thanks, dk1. I'm still in two minds about whether to proceed with my application. I don't know if I have enough passion for the role to work all those night shifts compared to mainline. It will get me working with trains, though, which is more than I do now. I work for a hire car firm, which gets me out and about, which is what I love.

Do I want to switch to a job mainly in the same place, and that messes with my sleep patterns? When viewing a post in another thread about the working conditions and what you'd likely do, the mainline is more my personality. At least by applying, I'm keeping a foot wedging the door open and giving me more time to consider it.

I have received the SJT and will at least sit that. I'll continue to think about what to do.

Hey all, just joined the forum having applied last week for a Trainee position at Norwich.

Received my assessment email which I will do tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the info so far in the thread.
Welcome, Simon. Good luck with it all and to everyone else. I'm assuming you're going for the mainline?

If you do well as a depot driver 3-5 years is a more realistic timescale for going on the mainline. The job can involve quite a bit of walking. There is a POSSIBILITY recruitment to the mainline may go back to depot driver progression only on Anglia & Great Eastern.(Not the West). Just the rumour mill at this stage though.

Thanks for the info. Is it enough to warrant taking a job that's so close yet far away from what I want to do? Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

Bigsej

Is there a thread I can look at in relation to conditions and hours etc on GA mainline?

JWS

does anyone have an ideas if this is for courses this year? or talent pools for next year? I'm in for Cambs and Stortford

Shunter Bones

does anyone have an ideas if this is for courses this year? or talent pools for next year? I'm in for Cambs and Stortford
No idea. Anyone know where the classroom training takes place? I believe they have a training facility at Norwich?

Teddyward

Thanks for the info. Is it enough to warrant taking a job that's so close yet far away from what I want to do? Decisions decisions.
I cannot speak for Norwich as different part of company, but I enjoyed being a depot driver. Best job I ever had. If there wasn't such a pay disparity would have stayed doing it.
Paste the below address into your browser, it's a couple of years out of date but may be useful to you.

Nothing has changed since 2019
No idea. Anyone know where the classroom training takes place? I believe they have a training facility at Norwich?
Training facilities at Stratford & Norwich

Shunter Bones

I cannot speak for Norwich as different part of company, but I enjoyed being a depot driver. Best job I ever had. If there wasn't such a pay disparity would have stayed doing it.

Nothing has changed since 2019

Training facilities at Stratford & Norwich
Thanks @Teddyward . Do you think Cambs trainees would go to Norwich or Stratford?

dk1

Veteran Member
Thanks @Teddyward . Do you think Cambs trainees would go to Norwich or Stratford?

I would think Stratford as there is no 720 simulator at Norwich although they may do classroom stuff.

Is there much overtime in GA? I've applied for Ilford

Can’t speak for Great Eastern or West Anglia but there is a fair bit of FDW at Anglia Railways on certain days although vacancies are filled quickly due to constant driver training.

Shunter Bones

I would think Stratford as there is no 720 simulator at Norwich although they may do classroom stuff.

Can’t speak for Great Eastern or West Anglia but there is a fair bit of FDW at Anglia Railways on certain days although vacancies are filled quickly due to constant driver training.
Thanks for the info.

SimonC1986

Welcome, Simon. Good luck with it all and to everyone else. I'm assuming you're going for the mainline?
Yep Trainee Mainline in Norwich.

I currently commute to Martlesham everyday by car from Norwich, doing shift work already so hours not much of an issue for me.

Trainee driver would be a significant pay cut for me, at least temporarily. But I'm so sick off working in an office and the commute!

JWS

I’m unsure what the pay increments are with GA, I know once you pass rules you are given a pay increase with other TOCS such as SE

dk1

Veteran Member
I’m unsure what the pay increments are with GA, I know once you pass rules you are given a pay increase with other TOCS such as SE

I don’t think anything changes until you pass out fully and then they go up in year 1 then year 2 on the Anglia side.

Teddyward

It really depends on instructor availability and how much “wheels turning” you have in your depot’s diagrams. I did my rules & 225 hours in 10 months not rushing.