• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How good are the work provided thermals for working at the gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamanoob

So Scotrail has supplied 2 pair long johns and 2 short sleeve Tees, both of which are 0.45 TOG rated, along with a hat, scarf and gloves. I do have my own hat and gloves alongn with thermal socks but how good are the tees and long johns for winter wear. I have been told that it WILL go below freezing when it gets cold but wanting to get ahead of the game. I'm usually OK with Winter weather but with standing for long periods at a time I can feel the difference just now, although not cold enough for thermals yet, I have had to wear a jumper.
Are those thermals good enough for Scottish weather in the Station or what do you guys reccommend.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Definitely make sure your feet are warm and you wear a scarf or something similar. If you get cold feet you'll suffer. I use normal socks then thermal socks on top. Decent boots and if it's really cold I'll put my foot in a carrier bag before I put my boot on. Sounds bonkers but it works.
I used to get thermals provided by Merseytravel which I would assume were similar... still needed several layers on top to keep the cold out.

Last edited:

Iamanoob

Definitely make sure your feet are warm and you wear a scarf or something similar. If you get cold feet you'll suffer. I use normal socks then thermal socks on top. Decent boots and if it's really cold I'll put my foot in a carrier bag before I put my boot on. Sounds bonkers but it works.
I used to get thermals provided by Merseytravel which I would assume were similar... still needed several layers on top to keep the cold out.
Cheers dude, used to wear pvc/nitrile gloves then gloves over those, hands were always sweating but never got cold, probably similar to the feet in the bags.

merry

... Decent boots and if it's really cold I'll put my foot in a carrier bag before I put my boot on. Sounds bonkers but it works....
Unfortunately if your feet get warm and damp (e.g warm.socks!), the carrier bag can getvsweaty and is is apparently then a recipe for trench foot :(
More commonly an issue at festivals, I am told most damp festivals see multiple cases of trench foot (a fungal attack on the flesh) from this cause.
From experience I would recommend good safety boots with the aforementioned double socks - I keep my black boots polished to be smart and waterproof, plus the socks and boots keep my feet warm in a breathable and hence not mouldy way.
Hope this helps, as always "your mileage may vary"...and as a sassenach i accept Scotland is often much colder than here!

ComUtoR

Established Member
DMs do 'double socks' A pain to put on but they are warm and toasty, and super comfortable.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I used to work on gatelines and the thermals usually became a necessity by the start of December - you do notice the difference with them on! I usually had thermals, a collared shirt, jumper, shell jacket, coat and padded hi-vis on.

But my best advice is to keep moving the best you can. Naturally you're stuck in largely the same spot but colleagues and I used to pace around the gateline between busy periods just to keep the blood flowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.