• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Large is the Irish Loading Gauge

Doomotron

While the track gauge is certainly different between Britain and (the island of) Ireland, from photos it seems like they have the same loading gauge for trains, but I wanted some confirmation for that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stadler

While the track gauge is certainly different between Britain and (the island of) Ireland, from photos it seems like they have the same loading gauge for trains, but I wanted some confirmation for that.
Yes the loading gauge in Ireland is indeed exactly the same as ours. They have the same exact loading gauge. I presume this is mainly due to the huge British influence on the Irish Railways and Ireland in general. It is odd but there is zero correlation between track gauge and loading gauge. For another example Russia has a smaller track gauge than Ireland but yet an extremely wide loading gauge with trains that can fit 3+3 seating and still have a very wide aisle. Meanwhile some countries in Africa with narrow gauge railways have a much wider loading gauge than our UK standard gauge railways.

Speed43125

Old thread on this exact topic from some years back:

Dunfanaghy Rd

I copied and pasted these (from, I think, an ERA document) about 15 years ago. Don't know if they are any use, but you're welcome.
Pat
PS I've just looked at zwk's link. Looks like my source was an early copy of that. Doh, should have looked first!

Attachments

• Ireland Load Gauges.pdf
    177 KB · Views: 24

Taunton

Established Member
Were the "Park Royal" coaches of CIE from the late 1950s not wider; I seem to recall 10ft 2in wide. This was more than the UK standard, and points to the loading gauge being larger. They turned up all round the system so didn't seem to have a restriction.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Were the "Park Royal" coaches of CIE from the late 1950s not wider; I seem to recall 10ft 2in wide. This was more than the UK standard, and points to the loading gauge being larger. They turned up all round the system so didn't seem to have a restriction.
Yes 10ft 2in along seating area, recessed to 9ft 6in at the doors.

3+2 seating.

The CAF-built IÉ Mk4s are also wider than GB Mk3/Mk4s at 2.85m wide vs 2.73m.

RGM654

I've seen EMUs in Northern Ireland with wide steps, which I presume are needed to close the gap between British-sized bodies and platforms.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I doybt if there is a single Irish loading gauge, any more than there is a single Great Britain one, or a single European one.

MarkyT

Established Member
I think they've allowed a slightly wider overhang above platform height historically. At 9ft 6in, the Cravens are still no wider than a GWR supersaloon (9ft 7in) however. Earlier CIE coaches were wider at 10ft 2in, but tapered in by 8in at their ends. That doesn't affect their height and general profile otherwise, though does suggest no really tight spots widthwise through structures or parallel tracks uncomfortably close, as exist in some places in Great Britain and which constrain the 'go (almost) anywhere' C1 profile. A new train bodyshell designed specifically for Ireland might go a little beyond C1, but then so have many older UK classes which operate satisfactorily with some restrictions in defined areas. The attraction of the X'Trapolis design is it will have a level boarding height of 3ft like the UK FLIRT, exactly the same as in Great Britain. Such a fully developed and approved bodyshell could subsequently form the basis of new UK trains for the forthcoming massive regional renewals. Battery options are available from Alstom and are being exercised by Irish Rail in a small batch to follow the DART EMU order. It would have been great if the UKs Derby works could have been tooled up to produce this new level boarding train for a near neighbour, also compatible with local requirements, but the Irish order is to be built in Poland instead.