• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to calculate railcard discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn5775

Hi,

Silly question but does anyone know how to calculate a railcard discount, either using a calculator or Microsoft Excel?

I'm trying to work out the following calculations:

Full price ticket minus 1/3 railcard discount = Railcard price.

Railcard discounted ticket price plus 1/3 = full price for ticket.

Please kindly keep things as simple as possible as my maths isn't the best!

Thank you in advance.

Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pedr

Multiply the full price by 0.666 to get the railcard-discounted price (I think then it's rounded to the nearest 5p).

Divide the railcard price by 0.666 to get the full price (roughly, due to rounding).

Adam Williams

Established Member
RSPS7001 02-06, Page 41 states that to apply rounding on discounts, the following steps should be taken;
  1. Multiply Adult Fare by % discount.
    (e.g. a 34% discount would be calculated by multiplying the adult fare by 0.66).
  2. If result in Step 1 is not a multiple of 5p, round down to next multiple of 5p.

jfollows

Established Member
RSPS7001 02-06, Page 41 states that to apply rounding on discounts, the following steps should be taken;
  1. Multiply Adult Fare by % discount.
    (e.g. a 34% discount would be calculated by multiplying the adult fare by 0.66).
  2. If result in Step 1 is not a multiple of 5p, round down to next multiple of 5p.
So if you start with the discounted price, the full fare is +50% + up to 7p. Since in practice full fares are a multiple of 10p (by observation, I could be wrong), the full fare is +50% rounded up to the next multiple of 10p. I think.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Since in practice fares are a multiple of 10p, the full fare is +50% rounded up to the next multiple of 10p. I think.
As a general rule, that's correct but there are a small number of undiscounted fares that don't conform and end in 5 (p).

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
The above will give the fare for most "normal" tickets on the majority of public railcards. But if you're going beyond that, remember that:
  • the discount can change based on the railcard,
  • there are some fares which can't be discounted at all,
  • some that can only be discounted with specific railcards (or vice versa),
  • some which can only be partially discounted (only a part of the total fare is discounted),
  • some railcards have geographical (and possibly TOC) restrictions - making it possible that a ticket could be correctly issued but not valid on the route taken by the passenger,
  • and there are minimum fares to consider (and seasonal / day of week exceptions to these).
So may be more complex than it appears at first. Behind the scenes, it's all data driven - but going into that data is challenging.

mangyiscute

Established Member
In another note, if you need to find out any fares, I find https://www.brfares.com/ to be a super useful tool for this purpose, and a lot easier to find out different railcard fares compared to trying to manually calculate them (or you can also just do a search for the journey in a journey planner too)

Status
Not open for further replies.