• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to respond to prosecution letter

htidy

Hi guys,

So basically screwed up a couple weeks ago. Not really sure why but I thought I’d buy a short ticket to save costs on a train. Was knackered after a 15 hour coach, clearly decision making wasn’t there that day, regret it massively not sure why it even came to my mind.

Anyway, have since received the “authorised for provisional prosecution” letter in the post, and wondering how to respond.

can I respond via email? Theyve provided an email address but it is unclear. I want to get this sorted asap as it is causing me naturally a lot of stress

Additional. How do I respond? If I accept responsibility and apologise, I hope I can’t go too far wrong?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
can I respond via email? Theyve provided an email address but it is unclear. I want to get this sorted asap as it is causing me naturally a lot of stress
The best approach would be to send a letter by email as an attachment. In my opinion this sort of matter should be addressed in the more formal manner of a letter. You can find on many threads in this section advice on the sort of letter you should send - @Hadders sets this out in a post early on in most threads, and will appear here in due course, I would expect.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@htidy. Welcome to the forum.

Couple of initial questions...

Was this just a one-off incident when you were stopped?

(Easy enough for them to check similar journeys / ticket purchases, if they were made online in the recent past).

And which train company are you dealing with here?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree with @Haywain. Sone train companies allow you to send your reply by email but they want a signed letter. So you'll need to sign a letter and upload it as an attachment.

There are plenty of examples of how to reply in this section of the forum.