• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
Whoever ends up doing the final design & build, they'll be using SNCF Resau's "V360 OCS"

Noting that the shortlist came out in Mid-2021, so I think contract award in the next month seems unlikely!

There's also this specification document I've just discovered whilst googling, for those with insomnia and who don't mind missing half of the documents!
Can't seem to see the document - is the link broken?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is the intention to open Phase 1 (apart from Euston) and 2a simultaneously almost as if they are one section of railway?

No, they will be a couple of years apart. Phase 1 full construction started nearly 3 years ago, and Phase 2a hasn’t yet (although it is more straightforward, but there are a couple of tunnels and big work south of Crewe).

How far behind is Euston from the rest of the Phase 1/2a project? Ie if OOC is delayed could it open at the same time?

Depends what you mean ‘behind’. It is scheduled to open 3-4 years after the main line to OOC.

I am also a bit of an electrification geek so was interested to know if they had decided what cantenary and signalling system to use. Maybe a replica of HS1 or the newer LGV routes in France.

Electrificaton is yet to be decided. Signalling will be ETCS L2 with ATO Throughout.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Well the maths around OLE and high speed is fairly well understood by both engineering firms and university departments in the UK as well as in France. The UK has its own 300kph line, remember and 300 to 320kph isn't the same leap that 320 to 400kph would be. I suspect that whoever the design consultants are will be asking the French, Germans and others about it though just because it's good to hear lots of ideas.

It will be interesting to see how many pantographs each unit has….

Roger B

Well the maths around OLE and high speed is fairly well understood by both engineering firms and university departments in the UK as well as in France. The UK has it's own 300kph line, remember and 300 to 320kph isn't the same leap that 320 to 400kph would be. I suspect that whoever the design consultants are will be asking the French, Germans and others about it though just because it's good to hear lots of ideas.
More like just because consulting with several entities generates way more income for the consultants that consulting with just one!

hwl

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how many pantographs each unit has….
Their Italian older siblings have 2x 25kV pantographs per unit and only one used as per IET in the UK (but 2x 3kV DC as well, which are both used when on DC). But Italy does have a 400A limit per pantograph on AC.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The current discussion of this started with #1546 where I merely said there had been talk of it being slowed down, not scrapped. However, in three months we've had three prime ministers and a huge financial crisis, with lots of policy reversals and speculation in all directions, which only reduced a bit a week ago with the autumn statement. See for example this thread.
To summarize what I think is the current position:
Ministers have committed to HS2 reaching Manchester.
Phases 1 and 2a have Royal Assent and HMG go-ahead, and a confirmed funding envelope.
However major contracts are not yet let for 2a, so it will be some time before we reach the "point of no return" that we have on Phase 1, with contracts let and costs pretty much settled.
The Bill for Phase 2b West is still in its early stages of going through parliament, and is subject to alteration until that concludes, sometime in 2023/24.
And there's always the cost issue - the worst thing that could happen is if Phase 1 or 2a goes heavily over budget.
Remember the IRP £96 billion includes the cost of HS2 completion as well as NPR and other projects in the plan.

Well the maths around OLE and high speed is fairly well understood by both engineering firms and university departments in the UK as well as in France. The UK has it's own 300kph line, remember and 300 to 320kph isn't the same leap that 320 to 400kph would be. I suspect that whoever the design consultants are will be asking the French, Germans and others about it though just because it's good to hear lots of ideas.
For what it's worth, HS1, including its electrification, was a French/SNCF LGV clone.
Some of the contractors for the recently-built French LGV 320km/h ETCS lines are already involved in building HS2 (eg Eiffage - as in EFKB JV).

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Phases 1 and 2a have Royal Assent and HMG go-ahead, and a confirmed funding envelope.

Strictly speaking Phase 2a doesn’t have HMG approval. It has Parliamentary approval in terms of consent (the Act), but has not had the Full Business Case approved, nor the ‘Notice to Proceed’ which is what constitutes Government approval. This will be decided by Cabinet.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Strictly speaking Phase 2a doesn’t have HMG approval. It has Parliamentary approval in terms of consent (the Act), but has not had the Full Business Case approved, nor the ‘Notice to Proceed’ which is what constitutes Government approval. This will be decided by Cabinet.
Aah... That's important.
The current site work is just enabling works then.

itfcfan

> How far behind is Euston from the rest of the Phase 1/2a project? Ie if OOC is delayed could it open at the same time?

Depends what you mean ‘behind’. It is scheduled to open 3-4 years after the main line to OOC.

Am I right in thinking the latest timeline is for the line to OOC to open in 2029 and on to Euston in 2033?

ABB125

Established Member
Whoever ends up doing the final design & build, they'll be using SNCF Resau's "V360 OCS"

Noting that the shortlist came out in Mid-2021, so I think contract award in the next month seems unlikely!

There's also this specification document I've just discovered whilst googling, for those with insomnia and who don't mind missing half of the documents!
Approximately £500,000 per single track km. Interesting comparison with "normal" electrification costs...

(Yes I am aware that a brand new line designed for electrification is a lot cheaper to electricify than a Victorian line with low bridges, signalling in the way etc)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Approximately £500,000 per single track km. Interesting comparison with "normal" electrification costs...

(Yes I am aware that a brand new line designed for electrification is a lot cheaper to electricify than a Victorian line with low bridges, signalling in the way etc)

That is literally just the OLE thought. In addition to the elements you mention, it doesn’t include the power supply, distribution system, or the considerable costs of possessions etc. The contractor will also have no need to have much in the way of site preliminaries - it’s all there already.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
One thing I saw in the spec was tensioning by balance weights.
So none of the autotensioner systems we've seen on recent classic line electrification.
I did notice brand new HS OHLE in Spain used balance weights.

Mandating V360 means the shortlist of bidding contractors makes more sense:
- Colas
- Rapide JV (SPL, Ineo, Keltbray)
- China Railway Electrification
- BBVT JV (Balfour Beatty, ETF, TSO)

One of these is an outlier.

Phase 2a got Royal Assent in Feb 2021 but that doesn't force the government to go ahead with it on any particular timescale, or indeed at all. As others have said, phase 1 can operate without it, and ends at a junction with the WCML at Handsacre.

It may be worth mentioning that the Act has sunset clauses (time limits) which means the Govt. can not just postpone the works it authorises indefinitely whilst still retaining the powers the Act confers. However, one wonders whether, should the Act lapse, they would need to "start again from scratch" complete with all statutory consultations, new Bill, new ES, etc. etc. or whether they could bring forward a "one line Bill" that asks Parliament to grant extensions of the existing Act "as is" with extended expiration dates (and possibly a budget increase to allow for inflation.) I tend to think the latter unless they are looking for an excuse to kick it into the log grass.

CEO of HS2 Ltd gave evidence to the Transport Committee on 2nd November 2022 - link to transcript below (and it may still be on Parliament TV at time of writing.) With usual caveats about mined quotations, in light if some recent posts this extract may be of interest:

Mark Thurston: ..... Phase 2A is the best part of four years behind phase 1. We have a few procurements waiting for Government approval, which I
am very confident we will get in the next few weeks. Next year is a big year to progress phase 2A. Over the course of next year, we will appoint
the design delivery partner, we will go out to market for the main civils works and we will get the advanced civils works appointed as well. With
that, we will be able to get to a position where, between the company and the Department, we will set the target cost.

Full transcript here: https://committees.parliament.uk/oralevidence/11477/pdf/

Last edited:

WiredUp

One thing I saw in the spec was tensioning by balance weights.
So none of the autotensioner systems we've seen on recent classic line electrification.
I did notice brand new HS OHLE in Spain used balance weights.

Mandating V360 means the shortlist of bidding contractors makes more sense:
- Colas
- Rapide JV (SPL, Ineo, Keltbray)
- China Railway Electrification
- BBVT JV (Balfour Beatty, ETF, TSO)

One of these is an outlier.
It could be argued that the BWAs are a backward step compared to C+ units (they are certainly heavier and bulkier).

But as the majority of the route is two tracks and constructed offline it's easy to get them installed and setup. They do the job at the end of the day I suppose.

AL1875

I didn't realise that Phase 1 went almost as far north as Rugeley. So Phase 2a is only approx 40 miles long? That should be a much simpler and cheaper build than 1.

AM9

Veteran Member
I didn't realise that Phase 1 went almost as far north as Rugeley. So Phase 2a is only approx 40 miles long? That should be a much simpler and cheaper build than 1.
This has probably been answered before but: is phase 2 scheduled to be built to handle GC gauge stock, i.e the same as phase 1 which may eventually recieve captive rolling stock.

The Planner

Veteran Member
This has probably been answered before but: is phase 2 scheduled to be built to handle GC gauge stock, i.e the same as phase 1 which may eventually recieve captive rolling stock.
I doubt it will ever get captive stock, but 2 will be the same guage.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
35 miles actually (58km) from Lichfield Jn on Phase 1. Only two short (c700m) tunnels near Whitmore/Madeley.
Euston-Crewe is almost exactly the same track distance via HS2 as the WCML.
At Phase 1 it is a bit longer with the WCML junction at Handsacre, plus the WCML wanders about quite a bit between there and Crewe.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That should be a much simpler and cheaper build than 1.

Much simpler, and 15% of the cost of Phase 1.

Yes GC, as per the Infrastructure Technical Standard for Interoperability

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Although HS2 will not be fully compliant with said TSIs, given the adoption of a non-standard and non-approved platform height.

Brexit ultimately terminated the, almost certainly, futile legal attempt to get a derogation for HS2's preferred ~1100mm platform height.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
That is literally just the OLE thought. In addition to the elements you mention, it doesn’t include the power supply, distribution system, or the considerable costs of possessions etc. The contractor will also have no need to have much in the way of site preliminaries - it’s all there already.
True but its high spec OLE but shows the folly of not doing EWR whilst it was a construction site.

Mikey C

Established Member
It might have been more accurate to describe Phase 2a as Phase 1b, seeing that it's a pretty cheap and easy continuation of Phase 1, approved years before the rest of Phase 2.

AL1875

Much simpler, and 15% of the cost of Phase 1.

I am still half expecting London to get its gold plated High speed line and the Midlands/North to be left in the lurch and betrayed once again. We only saw off the pacers what feels like 2 minutes ago.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I am still half expecting London to get its gold plated High speed line and the Midlands/North to be left in the lurch and betrayed once again. We only saw off the pacers what feels like 2 minutes ago.

err, what? Haven’t you seen the building works in the midlands?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Once again I remind everyone that this thread should be confined to the provision of HS2 Construction Updates.

From this point onwards any post that is not a construction update will be deleted as off topic.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread elsewhere.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Once Google Maps updates its mapping for the HS2 trace, it will be obvious how much work is in progress over the Phase 1 route (130 miles, Euston-Lichfield/Birmingham).
The recent drone videos of the central section (Chalfont-Calvert) show some impressive groundworks.

For more up to date satellite imagery (albeit at lower resolution than GE which is in fact mostly shot from aircraft) try the Sentinel Playground. It doesn't quite update daily, but there's usually a few updates per month though what can be seen is weather dependent.

Here's a link centred on Euston on a pretty good day for "seeing"...

EDIT: Or if you prefer footage shot from alight aircraft...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.