• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas for getting back from Barcelona to Paris

TheSmiths82

I have booked a trip to Paris and Spain for a week and a bit in July. So far my journey is this:-

Day 1: A CIV ticket from Manchester to London
Day 1: Eurostar to Paris - already booked.
Day 1: Spend two nights in Paris. I was originally just going to spend the night here, but the trains to Spain a lot cheaper if I spend an extra night in Paris, and I don't arrive to Paris until 6:30 so it makes sense to have a full day where I can relax in Paris, I haven't been there properly (e.g not passing through) for about ten years.
Day 3: Take the fast TGV to Barcelona - already booked. Get to Barcelona around 4:30.
Travel around Spain a bit, I am already very familiar this part of Spain and will spend a few days in a resort where I don't need to do much. - I will need a rest!

Day 7/8: Get back to Paris. This where I need some ideas. I thought about getting a train to Lyon and spending the night there, but it doesn't really save any money. There is a night train via Perpignan but it is quite expensive compared to Flixbus and it isn't any quicker. I can get a Flixbus for £35 overnight so I am thinking this might be an option, unless anybody can think of a cheap way of getting over the border to France, then I can get a local slow train the next day?

Day 9: - I have a Eurostar booked around midday for London, then it is just a train back to Manchester.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Your obvious border crossings are Latour de Carol and Port Bou/Cerbere, both of which are at the extremes of the Rodalies network.
From Latour you get to Toulouse, whence you have the classic line via Cahors-Limoges, or you could head up towards Clermont-Ferrand via Aurillac or even Rodez-Severac-Neussargues.
From Cerbere I would head for Beziers and up to Neussargues, or to Nimes and via Langogne, thence Clermont-Ferrand again.
It is also theoretically possible to go Rodez-Mende-Le Puy-Lyon, but it might take more than 2 days if you wanted to do it all by train :(

Warning: I haven't checked timetables, let alone bustitutions!

Wolfie

Established Member
I have booked a trip to Paris and Spain for a week and a bit in July. So far my journey is this:-

Day 1: A CIV ticket from Manchester to London
Day 1: Eurostar to Paris - already booked.
Day 1: Spend two nights in Paris. I was originally just going to spend the night here, but the trains to Spain a lot cheaper if I spend an extra night in Paris, and I don't arrive to Paris until 6:30 so it makes sense to have a full day where I can relax in Paris, I haven't been there properly (e.g not passing through) for about ten years.
Day 3: Take the fast TGV to Barcelona - already booked. Get to Barcelona around 4:30.
Travel around Spain a bit, I am already very familiar this part of Spain and will spend a few days in a resort where I don't need to do much. - I will need a rest!

Day 7/8: Get back to Paris. This where I need some ideas. I thought about getting a train to Lyon and spending the night there, but it doesn't really save any money. There is a night train via Perpignan but it is quite expensive compared to Flixbus and it isn't any quicker. I can get a Flixbus for £35 overnight so I am thinking this might be an option, unless anybody can think of a cheap way of getting over the border to France, then I can get a local slow train the next day?

Day 9: - I have a Eurostar booked around midday for London, then it is just a train back to Manchester.

Thanks.
Not sure when in July you are traveling but don't forget that Paris is hosting the Olympics and Paralympics this summer which might impact your plans.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You can get a Rodalies to Cerbère and then a TER to Avignon (usually with a sharp change at Cerbère).
You might not be able to book the Rodalies in advance (only sold on the day I think).
Then a choice of TGV to Paris.
I found Montpellier a nice place to stop for a couple of hours en route (trams!).
I would also recommend Sète (an old and fascinating port just before Montpellier), but it needs half a day to do it justice.
Girona is a nice place to break the journey on the Catalan side, lovely old centre.

Last edited:

TheSmiths82

Not sure when in July you are traveling but don't forget that Paris is hosting the Olympics and Paralympics this summer which might impact your plans.
Thanks, I get back the day before it is due to start so hopefully it won't be too bad but I will be booking the hotels a free cancelation basis just in case.

Thanks for the suggestions, ideally if I did break the journey I would stay there night there as I am the worlds most unlucky person when it comes to connections. I did think about Montpellier and I will have another look into that. I basically have two days to get from Barcelona to Paris.

dmncf

An option could be to cancel the Eurostar back from Paris (change it to a 'holding date' in the future?), and get Brittany Ferries from Spain to the UK?

TheSmiths82

An option could be to cancel the Eurostar back from Paris (change it to a 'holding date' in the future?), and get Brittany Ferries from Spain to the UK?
I thought about that, but single tickets are quite expensive, it is a lot cheaper to book as a return, and the ferry is very expensive in July. It is also a long way from the part of Spain I will be in, and more difficult to get back to Manchester :( I did originally think about doing that though.

You could go Barcelona - San Sebastian - Hendaye - Paris (sometimes a change at Bordeaux required). Its a lovely scenic route, dont know how competitive it is on price.

paul1609

Established Member
Whilst I've been down by train and bus to Spain several times I must admit I've always Easyjetted back the extra day or two in Spain always makes it a non brainer to me.
Probably doesn't help that due to my location Paris is an easy day trip.

bspahh

Established Member
This article was in the Guardian on the slow trains from Avignon to Barcelona

Our slow travel expert dodges the high-speed TGV and takes a regional train from Avignon bound for Portbou, just over the Spanish border

Avignon is a natural way station for travellers from Britain and northern Europe bound for the Iberian peninsula. It’s a place for choices. Fast or slow?
Travellers in a rush to reach Spain head for the Gare TGV, which opened in 2001. It is a good way south of the city centre in Courtine, a new suburb that was once a watery wasteland between the Durance and Rhône rivers. From that rather sterile out-of-town station, a high-speed train leaving at 8.40am gets to the Spanish capital by mid-afternoon.

Those not in a hurry will find a far more interesting option for travel to Spain. The slow trains depart from Avignon Centre, the historic station by the walls of the old city.

nw1

Established Member
I can't vouch for the whole of the Latour de Carol route, but I have used it as far as Ribes de Freser (from Barcelona). Some pretty spectacular scenery around there, as the line follows a steep-sided valley through the Pyrenees.

If you have time to kill I'd guess this would be the most scenically interesting, though I've never done the section between Girona and Montpellier. Some pleasant rolling scenery in the Limoges area if you then continue that way to Paris - again I've never done it by train but have passed through the area south of Limoges by car on a family holiday in the 80s, en route to the Massif Central.

Latour de Carol is essentially an outer-suburban service, so you'll be on outer-suburban EMUs. But I doubt that will be a real concern.

You might get random-looking people asking for your passport, who don't look like border guards, as in, they are not in uniform. Happened to me once (even though I didn't cross the border), but they were able to show their ID so they were evidently genuine. I would advise asking for ID if that happens to you, though.

Last edited:

AdamWW

Established Member
I can't vouch for the whole of the Latour de Carol route, but I have used it as far as Ribes de Freser. Some pretty spectacular scenery around there, as the line follows a steep-sided valley through the Pyrenees.

I've done it all the way, changing onto the SNCF sleeper to Paris at Latour.

Scenery was very good on the Spanish side. Unfortunately it was dark by the time the sleeper left but I believe it's pretty good on that side too.

No doubt it depends on the time of year but when I did it, booking less than a month in advance a couchette berth was 94 Euros for a Friday night. If I recall correctly, midweek was a lot less.

Latour de Carol is essentially an outer-suburban service, so you'll be on outer-suburban EMUs. But I doubt that will be a real concern.

My only problem with that was making sure that I jumped on the right train because there was a fairly intensive service of suburban trains and if I missed my train the next one would get me to Latour too late for the sleeper.

nw1

Established Member
My only problem with that was making sure that I jumped on the right train because there was a fairly intensive service of suburban trains and if I missed my train the next one would get me to Latour too late for the sleeper.

I remember when I used it, it was originating from a Barcelona suburban station due to engineering work, and I used the Barcelona metro to reach this suburban station.

I don't remember there being any ambiguity though, even though all the EMUs seemed to be the same class. Either the station electronic indicators, the electronic indicator on the front of the train, or both, were clearly showing Latour as the destination.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I remember when I used it, it was originating from a Barcelona suburban station due to engineering work, and I used the Barcelona metro to reach this suburban station.

I don't remember there being any ambiguity though, even though all the EMUs seemed to be the same class. Either the station electronic indicators, the electronic indicator on the front of the train, or both, were clearly showing Latour as the destination.
I believe the Spanish spelling is "La Tor de Querol", so a little bit diferent.

nw1

Established Member
I believe the Spanish spelling is "La Tor de Querol", so a little bit diferent.

Yes, that's a good point. I would have probably understood that as meaning the same thing, though ISTR the indicators saying simply "LATOUR CAROL" as an (abbreviated) name, perhaps because Latour de Carol is in France. (In a similar way to how, ISTR, BR international boat train timetables used "Bruxelles" for Brussels).

Flying Snail

Established Member

Barcelona Sants (may happen in other stations) is particularly problematic as they tell you which platform island to go to but only display the actual platform of the pair that each train will use just before the train rolls in.

AdamWW

Established Member
Barcelona Sants (may happen in other stations) is particularly problematic as they tell you which platform island to go to but only display the actual platform of the pair that each train will use just before the train rolls in.

I didn't have any problem getting on the right train, but if I remember correctly the platforms weren't announced very far in advance so I was a little concerned that it might go wrong. Usually when I am going for an infrequent service the platform I'll get a lot more notice of the platform.

As for La Tour to Carole, there didn't seem to be much consistency how the name was given, and I think the Catalan version sometimes started La Tor (with a space) and sometimes Lator (without).

TheSmiths82

I still haven't booked this yet but really ought to tonight before prices go up any further.

My options are (prices are rough as I can't remember the exact figure)

£90 on a night train via Perpignan, it is a through ticket so if there are any issues I should be covered for lost connections etc.
£100 on two trains, one from Barcelona (or Girona) to Montpellier and then one next day to Paris, the problem with this is I won't arrive to Montpellier until the early evening and would need to leave late morning the next day, so really it is just a bed and a way of splitting the journey :(
Finally an option is a £35 Flixbus from Barcelona to Paris, it is no slower than the night train but obviously more uncomfortable, I am not sure if I would want to rely on Flixbus either, I would be arriving to Paris two days before the Olympics start and I need to be back in Manchester on the Friday.

I've not looked at the Cerbere/La Tour options yet, but puts me off this is relying on the Rodalies de Catalunya local trains to get to these destinations, and they can be unreliable. I don't want to arrive at these places early as it seems there is nothing really there when I get there other than a nice view. I have been to Cerbere before but only on a night train going to Spain from Paris. If I catch the local Rodalies train in Spain and breaks down etc, I assume I have no protection if I miss the night train?

Just done some research on the Lartour De Carol, the night train is just £28 on the day I want to travel to Paris, the train from Barcelona is 12 euros, but I would have to get a train that arrives around 2pm, as the next train cuts it a bit fine for the 6:50 departure. Also I don't particularly like heights so might be the train be a bit scary in places e.g on very tall viaducts? Nothing in the UK has ever bothered me but then I haven't been on trains in the Scottish highlands. It seems like a very exciting option, but a bit risky.

Last update: From memory the lot of the local Rodalies trains don't have toilets, so I think that rules the 3 hour + journey out! :(

Last edited:

danchester

I've done the journey via Latour de Carol a few times, indeed am doing it again in a few weeks. I'd definitely choose it over a Flixbus any day of the week! But yes, I appreciate some of these concerns, especially the awful connections. (Which I hear might, in our lifetimes, be improving...)
I've not looked at the Cerbere/La Tour options yet, but puts me off this is relying on the Rodalies de Catalunya local trains to get to these destinations, and they can be unreliable.
They are not the most reliable in the world, but most journeys are fine, and it sounds like you will have lots of time to absorb delays (or even in the worst case scenario, give them time to arrange a taxi for you) so I wouldn't worry too much.
I don't want to arrive at these places early as it seems there is nothing really there when I get there other than a nice view.
The view is nice, but Latour also has a decent family-run cafe/restaurant which you can use for dinner/to pass time: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ywq2jomhM46x1dSGA (cash only though...we got caught out by that last time we were there!)
If I catch the local Rodalies train in Spain and breaks down etc, I assume I have no protection if I miss the night train?
No. They're generally quite good at putting on buses/taxis for stranded passengers if things really go up the spout though, and your timings don't sound risky at all.
Also I don't particularly like heights so might be the train be a bit scary in places e.g on very tall viaducts? Nothing in the UK has ever bothered me but then I haven't been on trains in the Scottish highlands. It seems like a very exciting option, but a bit risky.
It's an absolutely stunning journey but yes, this does mean viaducts. I've attached some photos I've taken previously of the steepest bits. Only the last hour or so is like this though, most of the journey is trundling through fairly flat suburban Catalonia. I'm no fan of heights but I certainly didn't feel unsafe, and it helps that it's a nice wide Spanish train. Perhaps opt for an aisle seat! Of course we're all different and only you know much this sort of thing would affect you.
Last update: From memory the lot of the local Rodalies trains don't have toilets, so I think that rules the 3 hour + journey out! :(
I'm happy to say that there are toilets! I wouldn't have made it otherwise...

Attachments

• PXL_20220608_085147541.jpg
    PXL_20220608_085147541.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20220608_085055651.jpg
    PXL_20220608_085055651.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220608_084631477.jpg
    PXL_20220608_084631477.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 16

TheSmiths82

I thought I would provide on update on my plans, I am now leaving Spain a day early and getting a train from Gerona to Perpignan, I am then spending the night in Perpignan before getting the night train the next day. The total transport cost to Paris is around £60, and the hotel in Perpignan cost the same as the one in Spain so it seems ideal. I then have a full day in Paris before getting midday Eurostar back to London.

I have another quick question though that isn't worth starting a new thread for, on the way there I have booked my train from Paris to Barcelona on a daytime high speed SNCF TVG, at the time I wasn't sure where I was staying in Spain so opted for Barcelona but where I am staying also has good railway connections to Girona. Would I be allowed to leave the train early at Girona rather than spending another 45 minutes on the train to Barcelona only to have to get a train up north again? Girona and Barcelona were the same price.

I've done the journey via Latour de Carol a few times, indeed am doing it again in a few weeks. I'd definitely choose it over a Flixbus any day of the week! But yes, I appreciate some of these concerns, especially the awful connections. (Which I hear might, in our lifetimes, be improving...)

They are not the most reliable in the world, but most journeys are fine, and it sounds like you will have lots of time to absorb delays (or even in the worst case scenario, give them time to arrange a taxi for you) so I wouldn't worry too much.

The view is nice, but Latour also has a decent family-run cafe/restaurant which you can use for dinner/to pass time: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ywq2jomhM46x1dSGA (cash only though...we got caught out by that last time we were there!)

No. They're generally quite good at putting on buses/taxis for stranded passengers if things really go up the spout though, and your timings don't sound risky at all.

It's an absolutely stunning journey but yes, this does mean viaducts. I've attached some photos I've taken previously of the steepest bits. Only the last hour or so is like this though, most of the journey is trundling through fairly flat suburban Catalonia. I'm no fan of heights but I certainly didn't feel unsafe, and it helps that it's a nice wide Spanish train. Perhaps opt for an aisle seat! Of course we're all different and only you know much this sort of thing would affect you.

I'm happy to say that there are toilets! I wouldn't have made it otherwise...

Thanks, I will be going via Perpignan this time but it is useful to know for the future. Have you done the route a few times to know about the toilet situation, I ask because the type of train pictured at La Tour on Seat61 didn't have toilets (unless my memory is failing) although they might have been retrofitted or it some of they may have been built with toilets and some not.

Last edited:

danchester

Thanks, I will be going via Perpignan this time but it is useful to know for the future. Have you done the route a few times to know about the toilet situation, I ask because the type of train pictured at La Tour on Seat61 didn't have toilets (unless my memory is failing) although they might have been retrofitted or it some of they may have been built with toilets and some not.
It sounds like your knowledge of the Rodalies fleet is better than mine, but there has always been a toilet when I have been on board. You can see it in the background of the attached photo. I think the Seat61 photos are quite old. I certainly hope so anyway...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517-000823~2.png
    Screenshot_20240517-000823~2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

Established Member
Route to Cerbere is a bit bland, however last summer we did an impromptu walk between Portbou (ES) & Cebere (FR) via the coast path, high up (1 hour walk). Route north of Cebere via Perpignan is a bit more spectacular.

Previously also gone over the Pyrenees & a side trip to Andorra via La Tour de Carol
R3 Barcelona Sants - La Tour de Carol
SNCF TER train 10 mins up to L'hospitalet pres Andorra station
Bus into Andorra la Vella city
Bus back to L'hospitalet station
SNCF Train to Toulouse (5-a-day ish)
(*there's also plenty direct buses Barcelona-Andorra direct)

Last edited:

TheSmiths82

Thanks, I just remember about 7 years ago and getting the train from Barcelona to Blanes and needing the toilet and not been able to find any on the train. I am not sure what class it was but it was one of the older types. I know all the newer ones have toilets. I have just read that ordered a new fleet of EMUs to replace the older designs.

It sounds like your knowledge of the Rodalies fleet is better than mine, but there has always been a toilet when I have been on board. You can see it in the background of the attached photo. I think the Seat61 photos are quite old. I certainly hope so anyway...

Unless they have been refurbished that is the newer type of trains, but I haven't been down there for 5 years so I am not sure how many older ones are still in service. It could have been at the time that the train was an even older vehicle than the class 447. It might have been class 446, although I am not sure if they ever ran on the Rodalies service.