• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interail 4 days within 1 month Global Pass (1st Class)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hi all, looking for some advice as a first time user of the above pass for a journey from Stockport to Frankfurt Hbf (& return) during late August - early September. Departing Stockport 09.04 my main query is regarding a 1st class seat reservation on the Avanti service to London Euston, this is quoted as £5.20 on the Interail.eu website but my question is can I actually reserve a seat in person at the booking office at Stockport station by just showing the mobile Interail pass, also does this actually allow travel in full 1st class on Avanti or is it likely to be in standard premium accommodation as onboard a Eurostar service? All replies gratefully received, Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
You can reserve for free at the station or on various websites (GWR?).

AFAIK it's still full First unlike on ES.

Established Member
Because the data for Avanti West Coast and LNER appears in various systems as reservation compulsory, that flags up on the Interrail planning app as a reservation fee. Ignore that, and just get a free reservation by whatever method suits you best, and enjoy full first class with breakfast.

gazthomas

Established Member
I have sent a direct message on Facebook to Avanti to request a seat reservation many times. I uploaded a photo of my reservation or ticket. They have always been very prompt and helpful

Flying Snail

Established Member
You can get free seat reservations on LNER site for their own trains with seat map selection.

For all TOCs the GWR website will issue free seat reservations once you have created an account.

No need to sent tweets or give either your ticket number.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks chaps, really appreciate your responses!

Another question I wanted to ask is which version of the pass (conventional or mobile) is more convenient to use in practice?

Veteran Member
Thanks chaps, really appreciate your responses!

Another question I wanted to ask is which version of the pass (conventional or mobile) is more convenient to use in practice?
Having used both, I am a convert to the e-version.

However, if I had one that had a dodgy battery, I would make sure I had a power-pack. Bear in mind, too, that the journey planner is not updated frequently and is incomplete.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Having used both, I am a convert to the e-version.

However, if I had one that had a dodgy battery, I would make sure I had a power-pack. Bear in mind, too, that the journey planner is not updated frequently and is incomplete.
In that case I think I’ll go with your opinion @30907, I do possess a decent power pack so shouldn’t be a problem.

Atlantic loco

In that case I think I’ll go with your opinion @30907, I do possess a decent power pack so shouldn’t be a problem.
Also - if the journey planner does not have your planned train on it then you can add it manually in the app. Taking a paper copy of the European Timetable would be a useful backup.