• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intercity Fridays Only to/from Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Okay
I have another question. I am not familiar with chartered trains at all but will the train only run if a sufficient amount of people book to ride? As to not making a huge loss?
It's running for 3 more weeks; if there aren't a significant proportion of bookings during those 3 weeks, I suspect that would probably be the end of it.

D6130

Established Member
And I decided yesterday that I'll go shopping in Manchester on Friday rather than London, oh well, I'm not going to change my mind again now! Thank you for the intelligence.
Perhaps you could go to Wilmslow station at 20 24 on Friday evening and ask the train manager if you could ride into Manchester on payment of a part fare? If he/she permits, it would be worth it, not only for 87 002, but also for the rare non-stop run through Stockport.

_toommm_

Established Member
Perhaps you could go to Wilmslow station at 20 24 on Friday evening and ask the train manager if you could ride into Manchester on payment of a part fare? If he/she permits, it would be worth it, not only for 87 002, but also for the rare non-stop run through Stockport.

According to Intercity’s Twitter, part-fares are officially available, although they cannot be paid for in advance:

@ShropsP I have noted on Facebook that part fares were available either Crewe- Manchester or Wilmslow - Manchester. Is this correct and if so put it in your website please.

@Intercity86101 This is correct Mr Pilkington but the part fares are only available cash or card on board and not available for advance booking on our website

Trackman

Established Member
According to Intercity’s Twitter, part-fares are officially available, although they cannot be paid for in advance:
Someone has posted the fares, I'm unable to find them on this thread unless I've missed them.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Does anyone know the numbers of the mk3 coaching stock which has formed the service?
Well, I can narrow it down it a bit.
From RailUK Forums a couple of years ago:
Mk3 Loco Hauled:
TSO - 10224, 12111, 12171
TSOB - 10411, 10416
FO - 11068, 11070, 11075, 11076, 11077, 11087, 11091, 11098
10416 FOB or whatever definitely ran last Friday.

gner43008

Really enjoyed the run from Crewe to London Euston this afternoon with 87002.
Probably around 20-30 passengers on the train? Plenty of space for everyone, But I was expecting more.

Trackman

Established Member
Seen a few videos, this one is a good one from you-tube .. listen to what the kid says after it passes!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Does anyone have any information on the amount of passengers today?
Roger French, who writes the Busandtrainuser blog, says he was one of 33 passengers in his article about travelling on the up service yesterday.

The train has two buffet cars in its formation (one in the middle and one behind the Class 87) but only one needed to be open on the southbound journey yesterday afternoon. That’s because there were only 33 of us on board. Mostly male (32). Mostly train enthusiasts (33). Obviously we spaced ourselves out throughout the nine coach train, but we could have all fitted into two-thirds of one coach.

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Roger French, who writes the Busandtrainuser blog, says he was one of 33 passengers in his article about travelling on the up service yesterday.

That blog is full of hot air, as dreadful as AWC are right now, how can a once a week service be a rival for AWC, LNWR are more rivals to AWC, & the LS service from Euston goes via Birmingham too rather than via the Trent Valle?

L+Y

I travelled last night- the reports of 30 odd passengers to me seem about right. Of those a handful (stereotyping wildly here, I'm aware!) seemed not to be enthusiasts.

Plus points: very comfy seats, beautifully restored and very clean mk3s, friendly staff and tasty drinks at a reasonable price from the buffet car. Once aboard, we had regular updates on progress. For me as an enthusiast, it was a fantastic trip. However...

Negative points: the e-ticket went straight to my junk folder, and I had to go and dig it out. The email came with no clear confirmation of departure time or instructions on what to do when arriving at Euston, which I think a "normal" passenger would require. Fortunately on arrival at Euston, the departure boards prominently displayed "Charter Train"- it would've been helpful for a regular passenger if the ticket had made that clear.

Upon then making it over to platform 16, the train was sitting in the platform, lights on in most but not all of the carriages- this was about 40 minutes prior to departure. Again, as an enthusiast it was nice to wander up to take a look at the loco, then take some time to wander back onto the concourse for a Burger King, but I think a "normal" would have appreciated a welcome at the top of the ramp from the LSL staff.

I think this has the potential to be fantastic, but there are quite a few creases that need to be ironed out if this is going to be more than simply an enthusiasts' jolly that's presumably costing Hoskings thousands. Facebook advertising would probably help, and a more sustained media campaign?

A final and heartening comment: the group of enthusiasts on the platform ends at Euston I noticed had a good deal more ethnic diversity than I'm used to- which can only bode well for the future of our hobby.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Unless they stick the 86 on, in which case passenger numbers could nudge 3 digits, I suspect last Friday was the highpoint in terms of passengers.

fgwrich

Established Member
90002 confirmed for this Friday. No info on the week after yet!

Heard a lot about 86101 doing the 9th. Whether it will is yet to be seen.

I can’t say I’m surprised that the 86 isn’t doing it this week - it has only just come back from roughly a year over in the Freightliner depot having bogie work completed, and hasn’t ran any mainline tests yet. Putting it out this Friday would be pushing it somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.