• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail cabin reservation on GWR Night Riviera

Hi all,

Looking for some advice/guidance please. My girlfriend is trying book a cabin on the Night Riviera from Paddington to Newquay for 30/06/2024. They have gone on sale this week. She has an interrail pass so only needs to book a sleeper supplement - currently £90.50. This can't be booked online (unless I am missing something), they won't take the booking over the phone, multiple ticket offices (e.g. Euston, Kings Cross, Birmingham New Street, Crewe) won't sell it, and the last few times we have tried to book at Paddington the ticket office has been closed! So it really seems impossible to book even though it shouldn't be.

Any ideas on how to get through the incomprehensible incompetence of the railway in this case?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Looking for some advice/guidance please. My girlfriend is trying book a cabin on the Night Riviera from Paddington to Newquay for 30/06/2024. They have gone on sale this week. She has an interrail pass so only needs to book a sleeper supplement - currently £90.50. This can't be booked online (unless I am missing something), they won't take the booking over the phone, multiple ticket offices (e.g. Euston, Kings Cross, Birmingham New Street, Crewe) won't sell it, and the last few times we have tried to book at Paddington the ticket office has been closed! So it really seems impossible to book even though it shouldn't be.

Any ideas on how to get through the incomprehensible incompetence of the railway in this case?

Thanks
Can only be done over the phone AFAIK, Seat61 agrees with my recollections.

MrJeeves

Established Member
My girlfriend is trying book a cabin on the Night Riviera from Paddington to Newquay for 30/06/2024.
Are you trying to book a journey from Paddington to Newquay on the sleeper?

I assume you're really wanting a supplement to Plymouth or Penzance, then onward travel with the Interrail pass. Is that what you're asking for on the phone?

No, trying to book a cabin from Paddington to Par. That’s all we need. Ticket office won’t sell it, phone line tell us they can’t do it and it needs to be done at a ticket office. Going round in circles.

MrJeeves

Established Member
No, trying to book a cabin from Paddington to Par. That’s all we need. Ticket office won’t sell it, phone line tell us they can’t do it and it needs to be done at a ticket office. Going round in circles.
Ah yes, sorry I forgot it stopped in between! :D

Sleepy

Established Member
Probably silly question - I take it your ringing GWR (0345 700 0125) and selecting Sleeper booking option ? I've booked berth only supplements this way several times in last 12 months.

Last edited:
Probably silly question - I take it your ringing GWR (0345 700 0125) and selecting Sleeper booking option ? I've booked berth only supplements this way several times in last 12 months.
Yeah, twice they’ve told me to buy from a ticket office, but no ticket office will sell it! So frustrating.

Maybe I just need to get lucky with the right person on the phone

trei2k

Are you trying to book a journey from Paddington to Newquay on the sleeper?

I assume you're really wanting a supplement to Plymouth or Penzance, then onward travel with the Interrail pass. Is that what you're asking for on the phone?

Can you clarify EXACTLY what you are asking for? I'm wondering if there are issues with terminology in play here?

Is it just your girlfriend travelling? If so, she should be asking for a room supplement as she already holds a ticket between Paddington and Par.

janb

Paddington to Newquay for 30/06/2024. They have gone on sale this week. She has an interrail pass so only needs to book a sleeper supplement - currently £90.50. This can't be booked online (unless I am missing something), they won't take the booking over the phone, multiple ticket offices (e.g. Euston, Kings Cross, Birmingham New Street, Crewe) won't sell it

I did hear a whisper when Virgin introduced TTK Avocet as their ticket office TIS that they "couldn't do sleepers" but I don't know if that was actually true or continues to be but would be possible explanation for Euston, Birmingham, Crewe. Otherwise its just lack of product knowledge, Riviera sleeper is not one that comes up very often at least where I am.

Mainline421

Can you clarify EXACTLY what you are asking for? I'm wondering if there are issues with terminology in play here?
That sounds like the issue to me. As far as I can tell she wants to reserve a berth from Paddington to Par, clerks might be looking for a product called a 'room' or 'cabin' to Newquay. Also if the main ticket office at Paddington is closed then the smaller one is likely open on one of the platforms.

Avanti might still not be able to sell them, but any other TOC should be fine.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They should be but I'd wager the vast majority of ticket office staff will have never sold one and so might not be at all confident that a) they can or b) how to do it even if they think they can. Which means you're then reliant on finding a ticket office person who is up for a challenge. In my experience some seem to relish the opportunity to try and sell something that's, from their point of view, weird whilst others will just say it cannot be done.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The other potential issue is that GWR no longer do berth-inclusive products, instead having different tiers of berth supplement.

If a member of staff hasn't sold a Sleeper ticket since that change took place it could be catching them out.

Is it just your girlfriend travelling? If so, she should be asking for a room supplement as she already holds a ticket between Paddington and Par.
A room supplement on the Night Riviera from Paddington to Par. That is all we want. She has a valid ticket to travel already.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
multiple ticket offices (e.g. Euston, Kings Cross, Birmingham New Street, Crewe)

I did hear a whisper when Virgin introduced TTK Avocet as their ticket office TIS that they "couldn't do sleepers" but I don't know if that was actually true or continues to be but would be possible explanation for Euston, Birmingham, Crewe. Otherwise its just lack of product knowledge, Riviera sleeper is not one that comes up very often at least where I am.

That sounds like the issue to me. As far as I can tell she wants to reserve a berth from Paddington to Par, clerks might be looking for a product called a 'room' or 'cabin' to Newquay. Also if the main ticket office at Paddington is closed then the smaller one is likely open on one of the platforms.

Avanti can issue it, it might just be that the clerk has never issued one before and isn't familiar.

Indeed, I have successfully done a dummy booking with Avocet today. They have to put it in as a reservation only and select "SZE"

Manchester should be able to help.

Avanti can issue it, it might just be that the clerk has never issued one before and isn't familiar.

Indeed, I have successfully done a dummy booking with Avocet today. They have to put it in as a reservation only and select "SZE"

Thanks a lot. I’m going to ask them to try that.

janb

Good to know.

(For anyone with Fujitsu Journey Planner, view availability against a walk up ticket ie SDS, scroll down to SZE in supplements, add it, book it, ticket reservations and supplements only.)

Haywain

Veteran Member
They should be but I'd wager the vast majority of ticket office staff will have never sold one and so might not be at all confident that a) they can or b) how to do it even if they think they can. Which means you're then reliant on finding a ticket office person who is up for a challenge. In my experience some seem to relish the opportunity to try and sell something that's, from their point of view, weird whilst others will just say it cannot be done.
I spoke to a very experienced former colleague (who is still working in ticket offices) last night and he couldn't tell me how to sell a berth only reservation for the Cornish sleeper. He thinks it is several years since he was called upon to sell one, and none since they moved away from dedicated tickets. And that's working at a major London terminal station.

Tried at Avanti Glasgow Central and whilst the staff there did try to help they couldn’t work it out.

Where does SZE need to be entered? As a destination?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Tried at Avanti Glasgow Central and whilst the staff there did try to help they couldn’t work it out.

Where does SZE need to be entered? As a destination?
SZE is one of the ten levels of Berth Supplement for a Solo cabin (TZx for Twin.)

The member of staff will need to select it at some point during the reservation process. Exactly where depends on the Ticket Issuing System they're using.

For Worldline MTiS/TOMTIS/Tribute X for example they need to choose Reservation Only, then any walk up ticket type, find the Sleeper, select it and then choose "Select by leg" on the next screen. That will prompt them to enter contact details and choose the correct supplement.

Unfortunately it doesn't check availability for them all in one hit, so they have to go through each one in turn until they find one with availability.

Finally got through to someone very helpful at GWR and they have booked it for me over the phone.

Thanks to all for the help and advice on this thread.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
SZE is one of the ten levels of Berth Supplement for a Solo cabin (TZx for Twin.)

The member of staff will need to select it at some point during the reservation process. Exactly where depends on the Ticket Issuing System they're using.

For Worldline MTiS/TOMTIS/Tribute X for example they need to choose Reservation Only, then any walk up ticket type, find the Sleeper, select it and then choose "Select by leg" on the next screen. That will prompt them to enter contact details and choose the correct supplement.

Unfortunately it doesn't check availability for them all in one hit, so they have to go through each one in turn until they find one with availability.
Avocet is very similar, although no "select by leg"