• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail Digital Pass

CS2447

12 days in and my Interrail Digital Pass crashed, the pass disappeared and all previous info disappeared it would not let me re enter the Pass Ref. Stated it was already in there in My pass , so had to into Apps into the app itself and clear the cache and any memory then return to re enter pass Ref , luckily it resolved issue but lost all my previous travel info

So in concluding I would steer clear of the Digital pass unless your very savvy technically. Customer service at Interrail will get back to you in a few days if you can afford that when your halfway round Europe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

I'd been dreading stories like this which is why I always get a paper pass. True you do have to tell them the start date but for all but the extreme last minute trip this is usually known in advance. It is a tangible ticket quite bulky so reassuring to know it's in your pocket. Also it doesn't run out of battery during a "grip" when you don't speak the language and they don't speak English either. I find train staff usually interested in where I've been, as the paper list is readily visible to them, resulting in some good conversations onboard.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Assuming you are the same person as posting this today on the community.eurail forum: seems it has been solved already.
I myself also did not really trust it much, but that 50% OFF offer in that 50-yr sale made me buy one for later use (bought 2-the first was still paper for soon after). but I was really much reassured by the easy handling and fine and much more extensive info it had as digital for a full 2 month-used last yr. So today I am in FR, used SNCF and SBB/BLS on day 25 of again a 2-month such pass, till today all went very well. Not all goes well-planned a week to ride ex-BR in may in that island across the North Sea (where most readers live)-and this turned out to be yet another ASLEF-strike week. See how that goes.
I now kind of wonder-also following (both for info and partly also for amusing about what people worry about) if in your case it was perhaps due to putting much to much details in it beforehand? Too much for it to handle? Or do you see yourself an other possible cause?
By now well over 95% of all passes sold are digital. The nr of such real complaints that could not be solved-assuming these will mostly reach that forum or perhaps other forums I also follow- is minimal.

CS2447

Assuming you are the same person as posting this today on the community.eurail forum: seems it has been solved already.
I myself also did not really trust it much, but that 50% OFF offer in that 50-yr sale made me buy one for later use (bought 2-the first was still paper for soon after). but I was really much reassured by the easy handling and fine and much more extensive info it had as digital for a full 2 month-used last yr. So today I am in FR, used SNCF and SBB/BLS on day 25 of again a 2-month such pass, till today all went very well. Not all goes well-planned a week to ride ex-BR in may in that island across the North Sea (where most readers live)-and this turned out to be yet another ASLEF-strike week. See how that goes.
I now kind of wonder-also following (both for info and partly also for amusing about what people worry about) if in your case it was perhaps due to putting much to much details in it beforehand? Too much for it to handle? Or do you see yourself an other possible cause?
By now well over 95% of all passes sold are digital. The nr of such real complaints that could not be solved-assuming these will mostly reach that forum or perhaps other forums I also follow- is minimal.
I don't think it could handle it , but it's not an isolated incident So there is definitely a Glitch in the Software, it should be able to cope with what is a small amount of Data being input, but to lose the ticket and all it's stored travel Data and previous information and effectively be wiped clean and then not be able to reload valid ticket for me makes this Digital Pass nigh on useless really.So my advice is use it to plan but have the paper one in hand

trei2k

As someone that also started using the digital pass after the 50% sale, I will never go back to the paper passes. I have had a couple of digital passes each year since then.

There are significant benefits of the digital pass, while yes, there can be the odd glitches, the experience is much much better for my type of travelling (changing plans at the last minute, often when on a train etc.).

DeverseSam

I have had similar issues with mobile passes and it seems to be when the app is downloading/uploading data.

I have turned off mobile data for the app and it works fine until I connect to wifi at which point it loses some of my journeys. That doesn’t really matter except if my ticket is being checked at the time.

Established Member
The best advice I've seen when using the digital pass is once you've created your QR code by activating your first trip of the day, then use it in aircraft mode. Seems to work a bit better then.

Strange you should lose all data though. I did have to delete and reinstall the app once, but after a few minutes all my trips reappeared, including the previous year which was still on the same app.

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
Slightly tangentially, one thing I can't get my head round is why they have designed a system where if you plan a trip online, whilst logged in, it isn't connected to the trip on the app, or vice versa. It seems utterly baffling to have that lack of functionality

rvdborgt

Customer service at Interrail will get back to you in a few days if you can afford that when your halfway round Europe
They'll normally get back to you within hours if you indicate you are currently travelling and have such a serious problem.

CS2447

They'll normally get back to you within hours if you indicate you are currently travelling and have such a serious problem.
There was no direct contact , i received a generic customer service e mail stating i would be contacted in due course , that happened about 2 days later , i think i used a Chatbot link leaving a messege twice but again there was no hurried lines of communication.There is not instant communication with a customer service operator. I had a good roaming Data Package with Smarty , plenty of Data on that , and my phone was always fully charged .When i got up i added the planned trips to that Days ticket and away you go, at Poprad Tatry i revved phone up to check Train number and Direction of Travel and The Pass had gone and all My Trip Data , and all previous Statistics Data . It wasn't a Hack , judging by other posts on the issue its not isolated .

Slightly tangentially, one thing I can't get my head round is why they have designed a system where if you plan a trip online, whilst logged in, it isn't connected to the trip on the app, or vice versa. It seems utterly baffling to have that lack of functionality
There is some form of , as in if you try to add a live trip that overlaps with a current trip thats running it wont do it , you have to delete your running trip. Then add your modified Days travel trip.

rvdborgt

There was no direct contact , i received a generic customer service e mail stating i would be contacted in due course , that happened about 2 days later , i think i used a Chatbot link leaving a messege twice but again there was no hurried lines of communication.
For future reference: the best way to contact them is this form:
I'm not sure what happens when you start via de chatbot. I tried it once or twice but never managed to get through to the form so I now disregard it.
In the form, you can indicate you're currently travelling and that you need the pass now.