• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the 58 Macclesfield-Buxton the perfect bus route?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Since COVID many bus routes have lost passengers, with many either getting subsides, increased subsidies or being reduced or even withdrawn. Yet the 58 Macclesfield to Buxton seems to continue to do well.

I'm thinking the following reasons might help it.

• It follows the direct route between the edge of Macclesfield and the edge of Buxton, with very few bus stops inbetween. End result is journey times are more competitive vs driving than on many bus routes.
  • The Cat and Fiddle Road isn't a pleasant route to drive in the winter, so people may choose to leave the car at home.
  • Buxton and Macclesfield are both reasonable sized towns, with no other public transport between them.
  • The rural area between Buxton and Macclesfield means the route is used by hikers, but not overloaded with them putting off other passengers.
  • The Solos used by High Peak are a reasonable size for the number of passengers
  • A fairly consistent Mon-Sat timetable.
  • The scenic nature of the route may attract passengers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
[*]Buxton and Macclesfield are both reasonable sized towns, with no other public transport between them.
There are, of course, train services between the two towns, with just a single change required at Stockport, but, even so, a Buxton->Macclesfield train journey (which costs ~ £20) will usually take over an hour, even with optimum connections, whereas the 58 bus journey can be done in forty odd minutes, and much more cheaply.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
There are, of course, train services between the two towns, with just a single change required at Stockport, but, even so, a Buxton-Macclesfield train journey (which costs ~ £20) will often take over an hour, even with optimum connections, whereas the bus journey on the 58 can be done in forty odd minutes, and much more cheaply.

I mean direct trains. Compare with Chester to Northwich, for example. You don't need to change train or bus to get between the two but the bus is much slower. I would guess most people doing Buxton-Stockport-Macclesfield on a train aren't alighting there, it's part of a Buxton-Birmingham/London or similar journey. It might be different if the A537 is closed.

The £20.40 fare you mention appears to be valid for departures after 08:59 only. After 09:30 it would be cheaper to buy the TfGM Wayfarer at £16.20. The Derbyshire bus only Wayfarer is valid on the 58, that currently costs £8 for the day.

Acfb

I suppose there's enough demand between Buxton and Macclesfield for a consistent regular bus service and Macclesfield with its train station is a major transport hub for people to go south from. Although some shops in Macclesfield town centre such as M&S have now moved away from the town centre to a new retail park off the A523.

In contrast the 60/60A between Whaley Bridge and Macclesfield is a very weak/irregular bus service which doesn't run at all evenings or Sundays.

chessie

I suppose there's enough demand between Buxton and Macclesfield for a consistent regular bus service and Macclesfield with its train station is a major transport hub for people to go south from. Although some shops in Macclesfield town centre such as M&S have now moved away from the town centre to a new retail park off the A523.

In contrast the 60/60A between Whaley Bridge and Macclesfield is a very weak/irregular bus service which doesn't run at all evenings or Sundays.
Whenever I catch it, this is the case. Majority of people travel end to end on this route, although you do get hikers and people using it locally in Buxton and Macclesfield but usually these passengers are by far the minority.

ACBest

I drove this route last summer for a couple of weeks - on one day, carrying a group of about 15 ramblers from Macclesfield to the Cat & Fiddle. I think every journey I drove was well-loaded, and there was a good mix of locals and tourists on board (judging that by a) the mix of local authority logos I saw on ENCTS passes, and b) chatting to the passengers).

Definitely a thriving route as you observe.

It’s a decent service. Generally hourly and has been to time whenever I’ve used it. Lots of bends on the route and the drivers don’t hang around so you need to hang on a bit coming down from Cat and Fiddle. High Peak’s Solo’s are in a good state, clean and tidy. Can’t fault it really and I wish them well.

Snex

Can't say it's bad but wouldn't say it's perfect. Personally, for rural areas, I think the long routes which connect to a major destination but serving many places on the way are the best. Think the likes of the:

X14: Thropton - Rothbury - Morpeth - Newcastle
X18: Berwick - Belford - Seahouses - Alnwick - Amble - Morpeth - Newcastle
555: Keswick - Ambleside - Windermere - Kendal - Lancaster

Absolutely no need for them to do the full routes and could easily be, and no doubt actually would be in other areas of the country:

14: Thropton - Rothbury - Morpeth
18: Berwick - Belford - Seahouses - Alnwick
55: Keswick - Ambleside - Windermere - Kendal

No doubt would operationally be much easier to run but they'd carry fresh air most of the day. Instead they're all allocated Deckers and offer connections far and beyond and all reletively frequent, places in other parts of the country you'd be lucky to have 3 buses a day.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Can't say it's bad but wouldn't say it's perfect. Personally, for rural areas, I think the long routes which connect to a major destination but serving many places on the way are the best. Think the likes of the:

X14: Thropton - Rothbury - Morpeth - Newcastle
X18: Berwick - Belford - Seahouses - Alnwick - Amble - Morpeth - Newcastle

The difference there is Newcastle is much bigger. If you extend the 58 you'll either extend it to a town smaller than Macclesfield e.g. Wilmslow or Knutsford in the westerly direction or Bakewell in the easterly. There's no point trying to extend it to Stockport or Manchester Airport, as the 199 already caters for that market and an extended 58 would be slower.

Looking at longer options Warrington to Buxton or Macclesfield to Chesterfield would both be possible but no operator is going to attempt either of those on a commercial basis and if you need subsides then it's no longer a contender for the perfect bus route.

Established Member
Used it a couple of times, albeit not for a good few years. Seemed to load well and have a good mix of fare payers and pass users

Simon75

On Moderation
The 58 also operates via Black Lane in Macclesfield (formerly 1 ) local route.
Also it serves a estate in Buxton

Statto

Established Member
I've used the 58 a few times but before covid, it's quite a nice route in summer, i'd imagine the route can be bleak this time of year though.

I'd rather the 58 stay as it is, extending it could make the route unreliable, & would most likely need funding by either Derbyshire or Cheshire East Councils, & given current state of council finances rather unlikely.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I've used the 58 a few times but before covid, it's quite a nice route in summer, i'd imagine the route can be bleak this time of year though.

I used it a couple of weeks ago on a dry day and it had healthy loadings and buses running to time. The last bus on a winter's day might not give much of a view though!

The 58 also operates via Black Lane in Macclesfield (formerly 1 ) local route.
Also it serves a estate in Buxton

They are relatively small diversions off the main road. It's very different to a route like 89 Northwich to Knutsford, that runs through villages like Wincham and Pickmere, instead of down the A556 (with a 60mph speed limit).