• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Job hopping from one TOC to another

DominikM

It makes sense that a TOC may be reluctant to hire you if you only spent a short time working at a different TOC (for example, say 3 months). Is the time spent at a company important in determining your success in a job application? Does anyone have any experience with this scenario?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Javelin_55

I went from a TOC to Network Rail and then back to the same TOC (different career path) after six months.
I would say if it's an operational position, they'd be more concerned about skills and experience. If they're a good hiring manager and can see you tick all the boxes, they should definitely be inviting you to interview. That's their chance to talk about your previous short job stint, if that concerns them. If they had asked me that at interview (and they didn't) my excuse would have been that they were offering me a dream job that I wasn't going to turn down!

skyhigh

Established Member
It makes sense that a TOC may be reluctant to hire you if you only spent a short time working at a different TOC (for example, say 3 months). Is the time spent at a company important in determining your success in a job application? Does anyone have any experience with this scenario?
Doesn't really make much difference. I know several people who went from TOC to FOC and after only a couple of months went back to the same TOC or another one as they didn't like the freight culture.

Kse

Good safety of the line record, long service, good sickness record...with those in check most companies won't care about much else.

Valid reason for switching and you're fine.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I don't have experience of just being months with a TOC, though I have been TOC hopping since I started in the Railway, found it hard to get promoted internally but faster to apply and get the promotion externally at another TOC, I'm probably not alone in doing that but I bet some have had the opposite experience and stayed years and years and been promoted a few times at the same TOC!

In my mind it doesn't look good moving around too often in jobs as it makes you look unstable, just my opinion though! Ideally you want a recruitment professional or line manager from the Railway to give their view but that's not my realm unfortunately.

Established Member
Doesn't really make much difference. I know several people who went from TOC to FOC and after only a couple of months went back to the same TOC or another one as they didn't like the freight culture.

Moving from one operator another, then back to where you came from wouldn’t look bad, so long as explainable. It shows that the first employer must have regarded you as decent in order to agree to take you back.

Job hopping in the sense of moving between various employers in quick succession might well raise questions; eg does the person struggle to fit in with their colleagues, are the jobs not working out and they’re jumping before they’re pushed, etc.

DominikM

As long as I can still get to the interview stage that's fine. I currently work part time for a TOC doing catering while I'm studying, and I'll be looking for conductor jobs once I finish.