• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keir Starmer and the Labour Party

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, 100%; He would have been the UK's worst ever PM! What support would his Government have given Ukraine, for example?
The 'support' we give now is minimal and skin deep. In terms of tanks, missiles, bullets etc this country has little of use that could be offered and we haven't increased the defence budget. Instead, we allow our arms manufacturers to continue exporting to Russia's neighbouring allies ever more to use against Ukraine, not that you'll ever read that in the Daily Mail, of course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oldman

As I recall, the only significant policy differences from the Tories were Blair/Brown's commitment to introduce a minimum wage, devolution for Scotland and Wales, a settlement for peace in Northern Ireland, and moving forward on gay rights.
After 25 years recollections are often incomplete. Human rights, overseas aid, family support (Surestart, in-work tax credits) were all areas of difference.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I am sure all councils make bad decisions or at least decisions we don't agree with but they haven't got a pot to piddle in thanks to 15 years of tory cuts. A large Tory shire council near me has essentially gone pop but I am sure Labour are to blame for that somehow even thought it was Tory run. If the Tories wont even back thier own why do you think they would back a northern council?
It isn't just 15 years of Tory cuts though, Labour have been failing Bradford for much longer under both coloured ties at Westminster. I actually know the leader of Bradford Council Susan Hinchliffe through family ties, and I'll be quite frank speaking to her has never really given me any confidence despite rising to the highest possible position in the council. The Labour party simply haven't delivered on much over a very long time, and have certainly done far more damage than good. For example once upon a time Bradford was renowned for it's live music scene which brought a lot of people into the city, but Labour councillors were more interested in Bradford competing with Leeds in the retail sector, so made life increasingly difficult for venues and promotors (and I know a few who would agree). But Leeds was always light years ahead, and instead of admitting that Bradford could never really compete the council pushed on, eventually leading to the infamous city centre hole that existed because Bradford Council's ambitions way exceeded what the private sector thought was viable, and so the 2004 Westfield shopping centre build was mothballed even though a large swath of retail space had been raised to the ground. By the time Broadway as it is known now finally got built and opened a decade later, the damage was already done. The live scene was all but dead, and retail had shrunk, as had the footprint of the new shopping centre. And its still shrinking further.

This was all because local Labour representatives couldn't bring themselves to admit that competing with our nearest and dearest city neighbour in the retail sector was folly. Ironically now the same council has staked all it's hopes in the 2025 City of Culture, promoting culture and arts in the area. However Labour seem to be determined to gub this one up too, the farce that surrounds the Interchange bus station and a complete silence from both council and regional authorities on what happens next, along with late running works to pedestrianise the centre and re-route local buses is leaving locals more cynical than ever that anything good will come of next year. The City of Culture 2025 is in danger of becoming the City of Late Running Projects, Diversions & Demolition Sites....

Honestly, I've lived under Labour stewardship long enough to know they ain't that great. Under someone like Blair they at least had a direction and for a while at least purpose. Starmer for me has none of that, nor just his central party politicians. if after the next five years of a Labour government I'm proved wrong, I'll happily admit it. I just don't think I will be, I think they will collapse into the same cluster-you-know-what we've all seen in Westminster, and us Bradfordians have been witness to for decades.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
It isn't just 15 years of Tory cuts though, Labour have been failing Bradford for much longer under both coloured ties at Westminster. I actually know the leader of Bradford Council Susan Hinchliffe through family ties, and I'll be quite frank speaking to her has never really given me any confidence despite rising to the highest possible position in the council. The Labour party simply haven't delivered on much over a very long time, and have certainly done far more damage than good. For example once upon a time Bradford was renowned for it's live music scene which brought a lot of people into the city, but Labour councillors were more interested in Bradford competing with Leeds in the retail sector, so made life increasingly difficult for venues and promotors (and I know a few who would agree). But Leeds was always light years ahead, and instead of admitting that Bradford could never really compete the council pushed on, eventually leading to the infamous city centre hole that existed because Bradford Council's ambitions way exceeded what the private sector thought was viable, and so the 2004 Westfield shopping centre build was mothballed even though a large swath of retail space had been raised to the ground. By the time Broadway as it is known now finally got built and opened a decade later, the damage was already done. The live scene was all but dead, and retail had shrunk, as had the footprint of the new shopping centre. And its still shrinking further.

This was all because local Labour representatives couldn't bring themselves to admit that competing with our nearest and dearest city neighbour in the retail sector was folly. Ironically now the same council has staked all it's hopes in the 2025 City of Culture, promoting culture and arts in the area. However Labour seem to be determined to gub this one up too, the farce that surrounds the Interchange bus station and a complete silence from both council and regional authorities on what happens next, along with late running works to pedestrianise the centre and re-route local buses is leaving locals more cynical than ever that anything good will come of next year. The City of Culture 2025 is in danger of becoming the City of Late Running Projects, Diversions & Demolition Sites....

Honestly, I've lived under Labour stewardship long enough to know they ain't that great. Under someone like Blair they at least had a direction and for a while at least purpose. Starmer for me has none of that, nor just his central party politicians. if after the next five years of a Labour government I'm proved wrong, I'll happily admit it. I just don't think I will be, I think they will collapse into the same cluster-you-know-what we've all seen in Westminster, and us Bradfordians have been witness to for decades.
Whether you have a Labour Council, a Tory Council, a Lib Dem Council, etc, there will be cuts. All Councils have been underfunded for years, if not decades.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It isn't just 15 years of Tory cuts though, Labour have been failing Bradford for much longer under both coloured ties at Westminster.
I get you don't like Labour. It is clear that you are happy to give the Tories another go. That is your choice. I don't understand how you hold that position or hold that position based on, checks notes, live music and shopping centres from 20 years ago but so be it.

I don't get how you can look at Johnson, Truss and Sunak et al and say: Yep, give me more of that!

Bantamzen

Established Member
I get you don't like Labour. It is clear that you are happy to give the Tories another go. That is your choice. I don't understand how you hold that position or hold that position based on, checks notes, live music and shopping centres from 20 years ago but so be it.

I don't get how you can look at Johnson, Truss and Sunak et al and say: Yep, give me more of that!
I don't like Labour or the Tories, so its not just a case of giving the latter another go. What I don't believe for a minute is that Labour will come riding in on a white charger, and save us all. I think they will be as equally useless as the Tories. This comes from decades of experiencing useless Labour locally.

Like I said, I will choose the candidate who I feel will represent my area the best, if the Labour candidate does so they will get my vote. That will come from (hopefully) some level of engagement, either face-to-face or at least online so that I can consider their views and ideas. I just won't vote purely because of the colour of their ties.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think perhaps a little unfair to simply suggest that a poster simply doesn't like someone and write it off from there onwards, the individual above is simply pointing out faults and floors in their stewardship of local government and indeed a not dissimilar situation has existed all be it in a coalition form until recently in Edinburgh where the same thing has happened. They are also expressing an understandable concern that this general malays and lack of sense of direction will spread nationally should they win the next election and I still think should is irrelevant word here, there are quite a few that might be labor supporters or party members but who are dissatisfied with the current order and will not vote for them as a result
In the same breath I acknowledge that another five years of the current situation is not desirable either

@Starmill

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Like I said, I will choose the candidate who I feel will represent my area the best, if the Labour candidate does so they will get my vote. That will come from (hopefully) some level of engagement, either face-to-face or at least online so that I can consider their views and ideas. I just won't vote purely because of the colour of their ties.
For completeness: I am not criticising the application of your choice or your right to make that choice! I just don't get it.

I agree that we SHOULD vote for the best local candidate rather than our local party candidate but our system doesn't allow for that sadly. Happy to change it if we can find a way to do that!

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't trust Starmer at all.
Circling back to this... By saying that you don't trust Starmer specifically, there's an implication that there are current politicians who you do trust. Out of curiosity, who are they?

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

There's always the LibDems who have a good shot at roughly tripling their current seats at the next general election.

urbophile

Established Member
Circling back to this... By saying that you don't trust Starmer specifically, there's an implication that there are current politicians who you do trust. Out of curiosity, who are they?
Difficult to say at present, of potential Labour senior politicians. We'll need to wait and see how they act. Of the Tories, very few: the few decent ones were defenestrated by Johnson post-Brexit.

najaB

Veteran Member
Difficult to say at present, of potential Labour senior politicians. We'll need to wait and see how they act. Of the Tories, very few: the few decent ones were defenestrated by Johnson post-Brexit.
"Very few" does mean that there are some though, right?

najaB

Veteran Member
Possibly. I don't know them all.
So it would be more accurate to say "I don't trust Starmer any more than I trust any other politician." While a perfectly valid and relatable opinion, that is quite different to the statement you made.

urbophile

Established Member
So it would be more accurate to say "I don't trust Starmer any more than I trust any other politician." While a perfectly valid and relatable opinion, that is quite different to the statement you made.
Starmer has reneged on virtually all of the policies he promised to uphold on being elected. Therefore in my view he is less to be trusted than many other politicians who have not done that. They may equally prove themselves to be untrustworthy, or may not. It remains to be seen.

najaB

Veteran Member
Starmer has reneged on virtually all of the policies he promised to uphold on being elected. Therefore in my view he is less to be trusted than many other politicians who have not done that. They may equally prove themselves to be untrustworthy, or may not. It remains to be seen.
Given that circumstances have changed in large part due to government policies that he had no control over, I respect him more for admitting that they would no longer be achievable than other politicians' trick of moving the goalposts and then declaring victory.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Starmer was obliged to support Corbyn's policies when in his shadow cabinet due to collective responsibility - the alternative would have been to resign. Political parties have to change their policies from time to time due to changing circumstances or simply because they realise they aren't electable.

JamesT

Established Member
Starmer was obliged to support Corbyn's policies when in his shadow cabinet due to collective responsibility - the alternative would have been to resign. Political parties have to change their policies from time to time due to changing circumstances or simply because they realise they aren't electable.
It’s not Corbyn’s policies that Starmer is accused of reneging on, it’s the pledges he made during the leadership election. https://www.clpd.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Keir-Starmers-10-Pledges.pdf
True, circumstances have changed since 2020, but these were presented as deeply held principles. Ditching them looks like he was willing to say things that Labour Party members wanted to hear to get elected.

najaB

Veteran Member
True, circumstances have changed since 2020, but these were presented as deeply held principles. Ditching them looks like he was willing to say things that Labour Party members wanted to hear to get elected.
Which of them has he actually ditched? Note that most of them are presented as principles rather than specific goals.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Which of them has he actually ditched? Note that most of them are presented as principles rather than specific goals.

It's a bit hard to tell for sure until we've seen Labour's election manifesto, but he seems to have been pretty quiet on supporting the abolition of tuition fees, full voting rights for EU nationals, a federal system to devolve powers, supporting common ownership of rail, mail, energy and water, ending outsourcing of the NHS, abolishing universal credit, ending the Tories' 'cruel sanctions regime', and increasing income tax for the top 5% of earners. None of those - so far as I can see - were possible in 2020 but have been made impossible by events since. Looking through the pledges, the only one that I think can be honourably ditched on the basis that it would now be impossible to fulfill is 'Defend free movement as we leave the EU'.

JamesT

Established Member
Some would say, all of them: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/10-broken-pledges
Moreover, we, as party members, elected you on the basis of your 10 pledges, which led us to believe that you would continue to lead party according to the same principles and policies as your predecessor. It is clear now that you have broken your side of this implied contract with us, as well as your promises to us.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Exactly. Going "a bit quiet on" isn't the same as ditching a pledge.

That's true, but you you would expect that if those pledges were firm commitments, then even in opposition, the leader of the party would be making at least some attempt to argue in favour of them in Parliament and in interviews etc.

Snow1964

Established Member

I'm reading the Ian Dunt book How Westminster works .... and why it doesn't. It's a real eye opener.

Basically even if you think people go into politics because they want to improve things, the minute they get elected for a party they get changed, and they have to do whatever the party wants and compete internally to do anything. There is no putting best person in the job, it is whoever helps out the leadership.

The whole idea of good politicians is limited to a few that are in safe areas because they will still be elected in 15-20 years, and can actually focus on one area rather than flitting Departments at PMs whim, even if they know nothing about the new Department, so feel they need to change something for sake of it to look good, even if was a bit that was working well. There is a culture of what can be changed in 10-20 months, not what would benefit everyone as a 10-20 year plan.

jfollows

Established Member
I'm reading the Ian Dunt book How Westminster works .... and why it doesn't. It's a real eye opener.

Basically even if you think people go into politics because they want to improve things, the minute they get elected for a party they get changed, and they have to do whatever the party wants and compete internally to do anything. There is no putting best person in the job, it is whoever helps out the leadership.

The whole idea of good politicians is limited to a few that are in safe areas because they will still be elected in 15-20 years, and can actually focus on one area rather than flitting Departments at PMs whim, even if they know nothing about the new Department, so feel they need to change something for sake of it to look good, even if was a bit that was working well. There is a culture of what can be changed in 10-20 months, not what would benefit everyone as a 10-20 year plan.
Chris Mullins also wrote well about this a number of years ago.

Essentially that the moment he got a junior Cabinet post (under Blair) he lost all freedom to act as he thought he should, and he decided after that that the height of his ambition was to chair significant committees but otherwise be untainted by the implications of power.

But anyone who aspires to higher office has to go through the process of proving themselves to the whips and giving up freedom to act independently.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I notice the Imax foreheaded Tory super brain leading the attack on Rayner wont actually say on TV or radio what allegations he referred to the police. Why is that?
There's always the LibDems who have a good shot at roughly tripling their current seats at the next general election.
Check your constituency and see if the Lib Dems are the best way to ditch a Tory otherwise don't waste your vote.

Some would say, all of them
Corbyn is gone. He failed. As labour we have to get away from silly student naivety.
That's true, but you you would expect that if those pledges were firm commitments, then even in opposition, the leader of the party would be making at least some attempt to argue in favour of them in Parliament and in interviews
The problem is every time Labour define a policy the Tories pinch it!
and they have to do whatever the party wants and compete internally to do anything. There is no putting best person in the job, it is whoever helps out the leadership.
This cant be a surprise surely? Rory Stewart in his book says he voted against government policy once on a matter of local principle and was out of contention for any form of government job for about 5 years!

Though to be honest i think he was my third choice.
Who were your other choices?

But anyone who aspires to higher office has to go through the process of proving themselves to the whips and giving up freedom to act independently.
That is our system. As I say above this is why, in reality, you vote for a party candidate. Your good local candidate, by standing, agrees to be bound by the policies and procedures of thier party. That means following the whip, voting as you are told to and helping progress the manifesto commitments through parliament.

It is why Lord (High Viz) Houchen, despite his protestations otherwise that he follows no whip, has voted for Tory policy 19 times in the Lords.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The problem is every time Labour define a policy the Tories pinch it!

Why is that a problem? If something is a good idea, then isn't it a good thing if the current Government adopt it, no matter what colour that Government is? Seems to me that if your aim in politics is to make the country better and help people, then you'll be only too happy for others to adopt your ideas. Besides, more ideas are easy to come up with - it's implementing them competently that's usually the hard thing.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why is that a problem? If something is a good idea, then isn't it a good thing if the current Government adopt it, no matter what colour that Government is?
I would prefer if the Tories came up with thier own ideas and let Labour be tested on theirs!

In any event Sunak nicking Labour policies isn't about making the country better but about causing Labour harm. The Tories aren't interested in making the country better at this stage of thier adminsitration, if they ever were. ;)