• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kenilworth station Opened 30th April 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smethwickian

Not many posts today regarding this, so here's some updates and observations:
  • If there's a TVM at the station, I didn't find it. Likely not installed yet.
  • The 153's CIS does not seem to know about Kenilworth yet, though.
The TVM is at the front of the station by the entrance that's available at all times, such as when the cafe and ticket desk is closed. I would recommend people utilise the friendly humans inside whenever possible, however, as the initiative to staff the station at all is very welcome and deserves support. The team with the concession is, I understand, headed by the person who already owns independent ticket offices at Ludlow and Oakham.

The class 153's CIS was working on my journey southbound today but not northbound.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jeremyjh

Thanks, Smethwickian! I've adjusted my post to amend the misinformation.

I'd second what you say about making the effort to support the staffed café and ticket sales desk. Will be great once all of the necessary information is in the database for destinations and concessions. As it is, I managed South Croydon to Kenilworth on an Advance First booked yesterday evening, and it makes such a difference not to have to faff about with the change for a bus, especially when adding the connection onto a rail ticket is far more cost-efficient.

FWIW, about a dozen people on the 2108 departure from KNW tonight, of whom two had joined there. Another group of 8-10 people alighted having travelled from LMS.

A good few people stood around on the station to chat about it and have a nose around, and a good number of vehicles arriving for a loop of the car park with people grabbing a photo or taking a look.

Chris172

Would be nice for xc to stop there also! Are the class 172s still coming in May?

HowardGWR

Established Member
I noticed from the photos that there is a fair old super elevation of the track there. Seems like a 'mind the gap' notice would be needed, judging by the outward lean of the 153.

pdeaves

Established Member
I took that information out of an article from 2008, but to be honest would assume that to be the case anyway. Probably worded my original post slightly wrong.
XC probably 'backed' the scheme in the sense of not objecting if someone else wants to call at a new station (as has happened), rather than calling itself.

mic505

GOBLIN wiring was completed in January.
Class 710 delivery is three months behind schedule.

jeremyjh

That likely means no release of 172s until the autumn. That ought to be enough time for vinyls, seat covers and a spot of training but I guess that becomes less certain the moment there's any further delay to the 710 delivery schedule.

Old Hill Bank

That likely means no release of 172s until the autumn. That ought to be enough time for vinyls, seat covers and a spot of training but I guess that becomes less certain the moment there's any further delay to the 710 delivery schedule.
The GOBLIN 172s are off to a works to have toilets fitted before entering service with WMR

jeremyjh

That'll add some time, then. An extravagance for LMS-KNW-COV with loos at all stations and an end-to-end journey of 20 minutes, but perhaps vital for the trains' other duties once they've moved.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A follow on question:

Is the opening of this station and the new service to Leamington the reason the Marston Vale line services are both being operated by 150's this week?

cle

Established Member
Bit shameful to have a 153 on the first day - in terms of PR and first impressions... even if it'll be used for the first few months, swap something better for the event!

jeremyjh

The 153 did a fine job. Worked, was clean, decent seats, some tables, loo. A 172 when it comes will mean trading tables for capacity, acceleration, quicker boarding and air conditioning. But I’ve been on far less comfortable trains than the 153 as a London commuter, frankly.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A follow on question:

Is the opening of this station and the new service to Leamington the reason the Marston Vale line services are both being operated by 150's this week?

Seems like it. If the other one on the Birmingham to Herefords falls down there is the scope to sub with a 170 or 172 whereas the Marston Vale cannot be and is too remote from Birmingham

HLE

Established Member
I daresay the vale will be a 150 operated route for the foreseeable future.
No doubt the spare 150 now doesn’t exist.

Nothing wrong with a 153 either.....if it’s the first train to call at a town for 40+ years. Not the greatest units to be on but the WMR units are at least reliable.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
WMR units are at least reliable.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reliable! HA! The 153 on the vale cant even keep to time and conk out on a regular basis. They are terrible.

Seems like it. If the other one on the Birmingham to Herefords falls down there is the scope to sub with a 170 or 172 whereas the Marston Vale cannot be and is too remote from Birmingham

no complaints here if that stays the same until Chirstmas!

Class 170101

Established Member
XC originally backed the idea but seemingly refuse now to consider calling there. Kind of understandable.

shame they won't call on Sunday when apparently there are no spare paths so the local train doesn't operate.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I daresay the vale will be a 150 operated route for the foreseeable future.
No doubt the spare 150 now doesn’t exist.
230s have been ordered as a replacement for the existing stock on the line, with 3 2-car units having been ordered if I recall.

pt_mad

Established Member
So does anyone have or has anyone found any photos of the station, particularly the building and inside the building and footbridge?

What is inside the building? Is it a cafe only? Is there a toilet? I read something about a ticket desk but elsewhere it says tickets are sold at the café? Who sells the tickets and are they ticket knowledge trained? Who do they work for? Who opens and closes the station and is there someone working there who is responsible for the platforms? What time does the building open and close?

Regarding the 172s. One of the rail groups reported that the 172s will be leased by WMT from July and introduced December timetable with a direct service running through from Nuneaton to Leamington Spa, possibly in a new path.

Apparently one of the rail magazines reported that GOBLIN service has agreed a contingency to use some 365 happy trains to bridge the gap so the 172s can go. But I can't verify this.

Smethwickian

What is inside the building? Is it a cafe only? Is there a toilet? I read something about a ticket desk but elsewhere it says tickets are sold at the café? Who sells the tickets and are they ticket knowledge trained? Who do they work for? Who opens and closes the station and is there someone working there who is responsible for the platforms? What time does the building open and close?
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the station is accessible at all times via an entrance from the car park.
I don't know exactly what times the retail unit is open but I believe it is only part-time at the moment. There is a single counter serving light refreshments and tickets. The people operating it have a six-year concession to do so and I believe the person in charge, again as I said in an earlier post, already operates independent ticket offices at Ludlow and Oakham stations, so presumably is trained and perfectly capable of recruiting suitable staff to meet the Rail Delivery Group / Rail Settlement Plan standards to offer National Rail ticketing.
There is a single accessible toilet adjoining the retail counter available during retail unit opening hours.
The station is otherwise unstaffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.