• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Language requirements for staff working cross border train services.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Yes indeed - and I've seen and enjoyed Aida in Verona and Simon Boccanegra in Naples, and listened to a lot of Rossini, Donizetti and Verdi operas in Italian.
But 19th century operatic phrases don't help much when you are trying to find out why the town bus outside Catania Centrale has failed to arrive. :)
It's as much about the information on offer (ie the local PIS) as the language.
Northern countries seem to have much better train/bus timetable and running information than Italy.

I share the frustration about frequently lacking bus information in Italy; however, I've generally found that however old and tattered a timetable on a bus stop is, if there is a timetable, then the buses normally run more or less as it says. Even in Sicily.

I was once trying to leave Chioggia, and found a bus stop by the quayside giving a timetable for journeys to Venice; I went to the booth and bought a ticket. A few minutes later, no bus, but a boat arrived alongside the stop. Turned out that the No 27 [or whatever it was] bus (as I assumed) to Venice was, initially, a boat; then it reaches an island where you transfer to a bus; then that bus, at the end of the island, itself drives onto a bigger boat to get to the next island, where the bus continues on. The end result is that, via such mixed modes of transport, you end up arriving on one of the islands on the seaward side of the Venice lagoon. All for the price of an inexpensive "bus" ticket.

Re opera performances in Italy - the only time I've been to one in that country was in the Verona arena ... quite an experience.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Austriantrain

Established Member
A relatively recent EU rule requires train crews (drivers, etc.) to be fluent in the language of the country they are in, even if just going just over the border to the border station, which has caused issues - there was a case were extending a Portuguese service back across the border into Spain could not happen due to lack of Spanish speaking Portuguese crews: again, I imagine that the former CP/RENFE agreement was that the RENFE station staff would speak Portuguese (at least enough to cope).

Is the thing about the EU rule really true and not just gold-plating by Spain? Because in Central Europe, certainly no one has heard of it; train staff generally do not speak the language of the other country. Rather, station staff at the border station needs to speak it well enough to communicate. At least, that’s how it’s done at the Austrian border - e.g., operational station staff in Spielfeld-Strass needs to have working knowledge in Slovenian.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Is the thing about the EU rule really true and not just gold-plating by Spain?

Gold-plating, nothing more. There is the Czech transit service through Głuchołazy where they don't speak Polish, as well as several services that terminate at the first stop on the Czech side where the train crew don't speak Czech.

bahnause

On long distance services you regularly hear announcements from the guard or driver (normally it’ll be the guard but KISS 512 services can have announcements made by the driver as you hear the Integra go off in the middle of the announcement) in German and French and sometimes English as well.
No announcements are made by the driver, they are either automatic or done by the guard. Often the guard uses the cab for the announcements as ist is the easiest way to do it. No Integra on the 512 either.

zuriblue

No announcements are made by the driver, they are either automatic or done by the guard. Often the guard uses the cab for the announcements as ist is the easiest way to do it. No Integra on the 512 either.
D’oh! I meant ETCS of course. Very little Integra left on the network now (there are still magnets on the SZU platforms at Zürich HB. )

I did think it was strange listening to the guard giving the.connections at Zürich HB and hearing the three beeps in the background as we were going past Altstetten, it’s pretty busy there so I would expect the driver to have his wits about him.

bahnause

I did think it was strange listening to the guard giving the.connections at Zürich HB and hearing the three beeps in the background as we were going past Altstetten, it’s pretty busy there so I would expect the driver to have his wits about him.
ETCS would be two short beeps. I don't mind them being in the cab for the announcements. They know what to do and what not to do.