• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last Working steam in service in Gloucestershire ?.

Robspur

About 2 years ago I put this question out for comments. I received some interesting information in reply but none that took a confirmed sighting beyond 4th January 1967.
Since then a Gloucester Horton Road crew, driver Panting and fireman Johnstone ( the informant ) informed me that they took over a Crewe to Bristol Parcels turn at Worcester Shrub Hill and took it on to Gloucester. The locomotive was Black 5 number 45297 which was allocated to Crewe South at the time. The engine was removed at Gloucester and had the water replenished at Horton Road before returning north light engine.
While fireman Johnstone couldn't recall the exact date, he did know it was the last week in August 1967.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvester

Established Member
About 2 years ago I put this question out for comments. I received some interesting information in reply but none that took a confirmed sighting beyond 4th January 1967.
Since then a Gloucester Horton Road crew, driver Panting and fireman Johnstone ( the informant ) informed me that they took over a Crewe to Bristol Parcels turn at Worcester Shrub Hill and took it on to Gloucester. The locomotive was Black 5 number 45297 which was allocated to Crewe South at the time. The engine was removed at Gloucester and had the water replenished at Horton Road before returning north light engine.
While fireman Johnstone couldn't recall the exact date, he did know it was the last week in August 1967.
Could the date have been August 1966? Horton Road did basic servicing to visiting steam locos for months after it lost its own allocation (January 1966) but this doesn’t seem to have lasted into 1967. When Ivatt 46454 arrived on a freight on 4th January 1967 it was reportedly returned north light engine with great haste!