• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lazy journalism? Distance between stations article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucephalus

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/07/these-london-tube-journeys-are-actually-quicker-on-foot-7807509/amp/

There are eight journeys that are faster to walk than to take the tube for, and we’re definitely not going to make the mistake of spending money when we could get some fresh air.

Leicester Square to Covent Garden....

These two stations are just 250 metres apart from each other. They’re also in seriously busy part of London, crowded with shoppers and tourists.

Charing Cross to Embankment

It takes three minutes to walk between these two stations. Save yourself time and money by walking the 300m instead of tubing it.

I know it served its purpose and I read it but seriously, is it even possible to travel by tube between the stations they list half way down the page?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I don't see what's lazy or inaccurate - they're pointing out it can often be quicker to walk.

What exactly is it you don't like about the article?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/07/these-london-tube-journeys-are-actually-quicker-on-foot-7807509/amp/

I know it served its purpose and I read it but seriously, is it even possible to travel by tube between the stations they list half way down the page?

It is possible to travel between any other station and any other station on the tube, either directly, or by changing a suitable number of times. Some of the examples are possible dircetly (but for an extremely short ride)

Don't be surprised about the number of people travelling in London who have no idea about how the tube map relates to actual geography, and make 'daft' journeys.

Kite159

Veteran Member
And to save other posters having to visit that advert infested website, the ones they suggest:

There are eight journeys that are faster to walk than to take the tube for, and we’re definitely not going to make the mistake of spending money when we could get some fresh air.

Leicester Square to Covent Garden

These two stations are just 250 metres apart from each other. They’re also in seriously busy part of London, crowded with shoppers and tourists.

If you can help it, you don’t want to queue to get into either station or cram yourself into a packed carriage if you can help it – particularly in rush hour.

Charing Cross to Embankment

It takes three minutes to walk between these two stations. Save yourself time and money by walking the 300m instead of tubing it.

Chancery Lane to Farringdon

Two changes and four stops? No thanks. You can walk it in just 10 minutes.

Knightsbridge to Sloane Square

It’s just 10 minutes on foot rather than a four stop, one change journey on the tube.

Bond Street to Oxford Circus

They’re both paradise for shoppers, but there’s no need to use the Underground to get between them.

It takes seven minutes to walk from one to the other, but remember that Oxford Street can be incredibly busy at peak times. Skip the crowds and walk down the adjacent (and much quieter) Brook Street instead.

Lancaster Gate to Paddington

Another convoluted journey that needs a change and four stops if you’re going on the tube.

It will take at least 15 minutes on the Underground, but just five minutes if you’re walking.

Aldgate to Aldgate East

Whichever station you’re aiming for, get off the tube early. These stations are a three-minute trot apart.

Blackfriars to Southwark

Don’t waste your time and money on two changes and six stops on the tube when you could simply walk across Blackfriars Bridge and get there faster.

Cut down on tube journeys where you can this summer (and beyond) and you’ll save money, see more of the sky and avoid the sweltering crush of commuters.

At least when you’re walking, you can maintain a better sense of personal space.

Bucephalus

I don't see what's lazy or inaccurate - they're pointing out it can often be quicker to walk.

What exactly is it you don't like about the article?

Sorry, I merely skimmed the article particular noticing embankment -> charing cross and concluded that "this is a list of obvious foot journeys."

I suppose, come to think of it, I'm not sure what else I was expecting when clicking on the title haha.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
It's hardly Pullitzer-Prize winning copy, but there again, the lady hack may have not chosen the theme - an editor may have just said - write a piece on this.
For what it sets out to do, it does it 100%, I'd say.

Sorry, I merely skimmed the article ... .

So, more a case of "Lazy poster ... in pot, kettle, black etc" ?

rebmcr

Established Member
particular noticing embankment -> charing cross and concluded that "this is a list of obvious foot journeys."

The Northern line actually stops at both of those stations.

By any chance, are you used to using the National Rail CX ➡️ LU Embankment link for the Circle line?

sprunt

Established Member
I've not read the full article, only the list quoted in #5, but is there any particular evidence that many people are making a tube journey from, say, Covent Garden to Leicester Square*? The same could presumably be said for most adjacent zone 1 stations. It just seems like a desperate bit of space filling. And I don't even understand the "get off the tube early" comment re Aldgate to Aldgate East - it reads as if they're suggesting a passenger should get off at the first one of those that their train reaches, without realising that no service passes through both.

*Are those figures published, or do they just publish aggregate station entries and exits?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I've not read the full article, only the list quoted in #5, but is there any particular evidence that many people are making a tube journey from, say, Covent Garden to Leicester Square*? ...

I have no hard evidence, but I suspect several thousands of tourists, including Brits, attempt to make those 8 journeys by tube every day.

The same could presumably be said for most adjacent zone 1 stations.

True. Even some outside Zone 1. But when they are on the same line, it might make the non-expert ask someone "Just how far is it?"

If you are just in from La Paz and staying at, say, Lancaster Gate, looking at the underground map, Paddington may seem quite a way off. (Though I think it might take more like 7 mins than 5 to walk it.)

And I don't even understand the "get off the tube early" comment re Aldgate to Aldgate East - it reads as if they're suggesting a passenger should get off at the first one of those that their train reaches, without realising that no service passes through both. ...
I suppose she means that if you want Aldgate EAst, and you are on the train and see Aldgate - then just jump out.

PeterC

Established Member
It is clearly a "filler" but, as a magazine editor myself, I know that you have to resort to these from time to time when contributors miss deadlines or planned material proves unsuitable.

I also know that even a lot of people who live or work in London carry no mental map of the city at ground level. The core of my own knowledge (better than most people who haven't done The Knowledge) comes from early / mid teens spent criss crossing London on bus spotting trips with a Red Rover.

An_Engineer

I have seen plenty of people make the mistake of using the tube between Leicester Sq and Covent Garden, so I believe it's a fairly common mistake. And especially unfortunate as Covent Garden is a lifts only station (which take a fair long time).

For a non zone 1 example, I'd suggest Wimbledon, and South Wimbledon. It's a 15min walk, or a 5 min bus, but an enormous detour if you went by tube (or even allowing for trains). Of course, most people would be sensible and realize by the names that they are actually quite close.

duncanp

Established Member
There is also

Holborn to Temple
Liverpool Street to Monument
Victoria to Hyde Park Corner

Outside the city centre you have

North Ealing to West Acton
Park Royal to Hanger Lane
South Wimbledon to Wimbledon
Sudbury Hill to Greenford
Northwick Park to Kenton

Anyone think of any others?

JackS

Four stops between Knightsbridge and Sloane Square? Is there something wrong with changing at South Kensington?

(Blackfriars to Southwark is another where I think the article is adding unnecessary changes/stops if we're being picky, to help the point)

InterCity:125

Between tube stations? Haven’t seen that before! Is that online?
One is lines between near tube station the other is a TFL map of Walking times of stations on the Same lines.

Attachments

• 52B13B6D-E51C-4F06-A5AD-25A3D23DC53D.gif
    52B13B6D-E51C-4F06-A5AD-25A3D23DC53D.gif
    429.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 63DA5991-62A1-492E-9682-B905C139A6D0.jpeg
    63DA5991-62A1-492E-9682-B905C139A6D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Possibly the best example is Ickenham - West Ruislip. 10 - 15 minute walk. I dread to think how long on the tube.

An_Engineer

Possibly the best example is Ickenham - West Ruislip. 10 - 15 minute walk. I dread to think how long on the tube.

That one I like a lot. I had to have a glance on the map to even see where it was, and trying to trace the tube route took me right back into central (or a horrendous turn back on the central line to Ealing broadway, then District line to Ealing Common.)

And just as ironically, you'd need to go past another sets of stations that you could easily walk between to save yourself time. As previously mentioned: Hanger Lane to Park Royal

duncanp

Established Member
Regents Park to Great Portland Street

Great Portland Street to Oxford Circus

Great Portland Street to Warren Street

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Indeed. It probably 'has' been done - but
a) I suspect that there are not too many tourist/visitors out there who want to do that journey (either way)

b) even the dimmest among them would question the efficiacy of the tube journey, when they actually looked at the map to plan it

c) even the tube schematic places them 'reasonably' close together, suggesting they might, in fact, be close.

Compare that to, eg as I quoted yesterday, a foreigner arriving at Paddington needing to go to Lancaster Gate (or v v) - where the tube map gives a very false indication of the actual distances involved, and is liable to have said stranger heading down the tube for a wasteful 20-25 minute journey involving change(s).

duncanp

Established Member
Russell Square to Euston or Russell Square to Goodge Street are two journeys that are quicker walking than taking the tube.

In the same area, Euston Square to Warren Street is another example, or even Euston to Euston Square.

Some might say these articles are a little contrived, but someone who doesn't know London wouldn't necessarily know that Euston and Euston Square are very close.

Without looking at the map, you wouldn't know that Edgware and Edgware Road, Blackhorse Road and Blackhorse Lane are a very long way apart from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.