• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LBSCR Horsham to Worthing

TrainBoy98

I recently read a book detailing the history of the LBSCR (unfortunately, I now cannot find the book to give reference) and it contained a section that said about a planned direct line from Horsham to Worthing.

I can't seem to find anything else that even references this supposed plan, and I was wondering if the forum might have some information?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
On the sremg’s website there is an old article from The Railway Magazine called Railway Developments at Worthing and on page 496 is a mention of the project. (I found it by googling horsham worthing railway .)

Magdalia

Established Member
There was a line from Itchingfield Junction (near Christ's Hospital) to Shoreham by Sea.

This had the advantage of following the River Adur through the South Downs.

stuving

There was a line from Itchingfield Junction (near Christ's Hospital) to Shoreham by Sea.

This had the advantage of following the River Adur through the South Downs.
The Adur Valley line opened in 1861, yet in 1865/6 there were local meetings about promoting a London and Worthing Direct Railway. While none of these ran direct as far as London (obviously), one did call for a new line via Horsham to Redhill. A bill was introduced in 1866, direct as far as Horsham, but was declared not in compliance with standing orders and lost, never to be reintroduced as far as I can see.

As late as 1912 there were letters to the papers suggesting a long chord at Shoreham, e.g. from Lancing to Bramber. It seems odd that nothing of the kind was ever built, for local trains at least. While such modest proposals could still have been more direct, I doubt any would have been quicker than going to Hove and then fast along the LBSCR main line.

Rescars

Established Member
The Adur Valley line opened in 1861, yet in 1865/6 there were local meetings about promoting a London and Worthing Direct Railway. While none of these ran direct as far as London (obviously), one did call for a new line via Horsham to Redhill. A bill was introduced in 1866, direct as far as Horsham, but was declared not in compliance with standing orders and lost, never to be reintroduced as far as I can see.
Overend and Gurney failed in 1866, causing a major banking crisis. Not the best time to be looking for capital.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I recently read a book detailing the history of the LBSCR (unfortunately, I now cannot find the book to give reference) and it contained a section that said about a planned direct line from Horsham to Worthing.

I can't seem to find anything else that even references this supposed plan, and I was wondering if the forum might have some information?
Do you have a name for the book?

TrainBoy98

Overend and Gurney failed in 1866, causing a major banking crisis. Not the best time to be looking for capital.
It's an interesting "What If" for Overend and Gurney, without the crash, there may have been even more railwaymania

Do you have a name for the book?
No, unfortunately not - think it's one of many that my partner has "vanished" to the local charity shops when I'm away for work :(:(