• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester Station revamp

londonmidland

Established Member
A quick summary:

‘Leicester's historic train station is set for a radical new overhaul under proposals that will transform that part of the city centre. The multi-million project would see a new public square created just off London Road - and the main entrance relocated to face the city centre.’
Read more here

The existing upper concourse will be opened up, with a new entrance created on Station Street, by demolishing the existing ‘The Parcel Yard’ building.

Some new pictures have surfaced today of an artist’s impression of what the concourse is set to look like.

Some pictures below:

D5E81DD2-2EF1-40FE-968B-7ABDC5CD9439.jpeg8CD9E9F2-498E-4868-9838-06BF052D282A.jpeg27FBCE83-79D1-4C01-9DE1-275EC6004C42.jpeg1FC8CAB3-7BE4-4A85-A4D8-63E05E398AF7.jpeg182F1A28-975A-4B40-A841-AF6E4E820485.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WizCastro197

Established Member
It looks nice, I think this appeared a few weeks ago. I think a revamp has been needed for some time, the whole station feels quite unwelcoming and doesn't give an amazing first impressions in comparison to that of Nottingham etc. The current taxi rank is quite dark and I guess it is interesting to see it will be brightened up. Shame that ugly blue eyesore will now indefinitely be one of the first things visitors may see.

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
IMHO Leicester deserves a re-vamp, given that Derby and Nottingham have been up-graded already.

(With the exception of the secondary footbridge link to the car park) unlike the above stations there is only one entrance/exit and the narrow barrier line, squeezed into the width of the footbridge, and it is is too much of a bottleneck.

Any scheme should allow a reasonable degree of 'stretch' for possible completely new services such as Leicester-Coventry or re-opening via Coalville and Ashby. These could bring a very significant increase in commuter peaks. And ideally it should be done before electrification and new main line rolling stock. This would avoid the 'Euston Syndrome' where the super new electric services began in Spring 1966 but the flagship station was a building site for two more years.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
IMHO Leicester deserves a re-vamp, given that Derby and Nottingham have been up-graded already.

(With the exception of the secondary footbridge link to the car park) unlike the above stations there is only one entrance/exit and the narrow barrier line, squeezed into the width of the footbridge, and it is is too much of a bottleneck.

Any scheme should allow a reasonable degree of 'stretch' for possible completely new services such as Leicester-Coventry or re-opening via Coalville and Ashby. These could bring a very significant increase in commuter peaks. And ideally it should be done before electrification and new main line rolling stock. This would avoid the 'Euston Syndrome' where the super new electric services began in Spring 1966 but the flagship station was a building site for two more years.
Exactly my first thoughts on this! Saved me for writing it out!

londonmidland

Established Member
It looks good but....it doesn't show any electrification!
Regarding the MML electrification, if you're on Twitter, there's an interesting conversation about the latest developments of it here

There's also a small discussion in regards to a possible solution with the low bridge at Leicester.

snowball

Established Member
Regarding the MML electrification, if you're on Twitter, there's an interesting conversation about the latest developments of it here

There's also a small discussion in regards to a possible solution with the low bridge at Leicester.
Though not a registered Twitter user I was able to read all parts of the 8-part tweet, but couldn't find the Leicester discussion.

londonmidland

Established Member
Though not a registered Twitter user I was able to read all parts of the 8-part tweet, but couldn't find the Leicester discussion.
Have a look at the replies from here onwards. Some of the replies you have to actually click on, to see their following responses, if that makes sense?

Roast Veg

Established Member
Leicester's concourse has felt lacking for the numbers of people served for quite some time, and a "King's Cross"-style side concourse seems pretty ideal. The Parcel Yard is no great loss, I always thought the drinks were overpriced in there!

If Granby Street can be revitalised with new businesses, then it would really do something big for the walk all the way to the clock tower.

BeijingDave

What is the scope for more platforms? Has Leicester Midland ever had more than 4? Does it need more than 4?

I am not familiar with the MML compare to the WCML but it seems to me 4 is very few compared to Derby, Sheffield and Nottingham.

Roast Veg

Established Member
What is the scope for more platforms? Has Leicester Midland ever had more than 4? Does it need more than 4?

I am not familiar with the MML compare to the WCML but it seems to me 4 is very few compared to Derby, Sheffield and Nottingham.
A 5th (bay?) platform has been proposed variously as part of a capacity expansion, but I'm uncertain what exactly it unlocks.

InTheEastMids

A 5th (bay?) platform has been proposed variously as part of a capacity expansion, but I'm uncertain what exactly it unlocks.
A couple of options have been bounced around as part of a wider Wigston-Syston capacity upgrade.

First option is a Platform 0 adjacent to the car park, second a new island Platform P5/6 on what are currently sidings. There's a document called something like "Leicester Area Strategic Advice" from 2020 which has the detail and should be easily found by the search engine of your choice.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

I don't think it's ever had more than four. When it was last expanded (probably Midland Railway days - where is @Senex when you need him?) I assume these could handle all the passenger traffic - including the infrequent Coalville line and Midland expresses and locals. In the late 60s, the Midland trains changed to 2 TPH, but they both arrived and departed in a 20 minute slot, so that left 40 minutes to handle the Brum - East Anglias, Brum terminators and Nottingham - Coventries/Ivanhoes.

But with the vastly improved MML frequency of today, I suspect things are significantly more tricky regarding platform capacity, and squeezing in, say, an extra Burton-on-Trent terminator (should it every happen) could well be problematic, and a north & south facing bay could then help a lot (unless,say, you ran the Burton trains as extension of the Lincoln-Leicesters).

One other idea might be to open a 'North Leicester' station around MP 102 - 102 1/2 to act as a metro station and run the terminators there to get them out of Leicester (London Rd), but a) I don't think that will happen and b) that's getting into speculative territory, so before I'm wrapped over the knuckles, I'll stop there.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sounds interesting - i have always been surprised how poor Leicester station is facilities wise both on the platforms and on the main station concourse.

Established Member
A quick summary:

Read more here

The existing upper concourse will be opened up, with a new entrance created on Station Street, by demolishing the existing ‘The Parcel Yard’ building.

Some new pictures have surfaced today of an artist’s impression of what the concourse is set to look like.

Some pictures below:

View attachment 130941View attachment 130942View attachment 130943View attachment 130944View attachment 130945

This looks very promising and, as others have noted, is sorely needed!

HOOVER29

Arguably, Derby has too many!
Was at Derby the other day.
At times the station was deserted.
Then 1-6 were all occupied.

Even the oddball platform 7 had a turbostar in it but that had just come off the depot.

Either way the Derby layout seems a lot more sorted now.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
From the pictures it looks jolly good. It's a grand old station that deserves a bit of a facelift !

Been through it many times on the train, but only got off there (in the non-biblical sense) once.

cle

Established Member
As has been stated on other threads, north of Leicester and of course south will get electrified first. Station remodel of Leicester then it too will be electrified.
Has a decision been made on which side the extra platform will be?

Flying Phil

Established Member
According to the local paper (Leicester Mercury) The work has now started with the demolition of 48 London Road (?) which is part of the station complex. The cost of the revamp is stated as £17.5M.

InTheEastMids

According to the local paper (Leicester Mercury) The work has now started with the demolition of 48 London Road (?) which is part of the station complex. The cost of the revamp is stated as £17.5M.
Thread reopened for @InTheEastMids to update.
Thank you @Cowley , however @Flying Phil has got there first

Edit: here's a link to the Leicester Council media release:

Flying Phil

Established Member
I went past the station on Monday and they have now fenced off around the corner of the outside of the station (48 London Road). Work has started!

Snow1964

Established Member
City Council has released plans (news article with photos)

New visuals have been released showing how the multi-million-pound project will transform the landmark station building with improved facilities for passengers and a new public plaza to create a more accessible and attractive gateway into the city.

The railway station redevelopment is led by Leicester City Council in partnership with Network Rail and East Midlands Railway (EMR). The project is backed by £17.6 million from the Government’s Levelling Up Fund which aims to invest in infrastructure that improves everyday life across the UK.

Final development proposals detailing the ambitious plans have been submitted by the city council for approval.

Under the plans, the station’s main entrance will be moved from London Road to Station Street, which will be closed to traffic and replaced with a new pedestrianised public plaza.

Work is now under way to prepare for the demolition of 48a London Road, which stands immediately next to the railway station. This will be complete by late-summer and will create the space needed for the redevelopment to go ahead.

It will also reveal the original façade of the historic Grade-II listed building. This will be carefully restored to its Victorian glory and form the new entrance, facing directly towards Granby Street and into the city centre.

Pick up and drop off points, including for hackney cabs. will be relocated from inside the station’s existing covered entrance hall – or porte-cochere – to a new location at the rear of the station, off Fox Street and close to the new entrance.

The glass-roofed porte-cochère will be completely overhauled to provide an attractive and welcoming place for cafes, bars or retail.

A new curved ramp, steps and lift will provide easy access to the new entrance and main concourse ticket hall, which will also be remodelled including a wider ticket barrier, to provide more space for passengers. Secure bike storage will be provided underneath the new entrance ramp.