• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lewes to Liverpool valid routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi, in addition to a fairly obv lewes victoria,Euston,lime street route, what other routes are valid with an off peak ticket lewes to Liverpool lime street?

specifically, would it be possible to go
lewes, gatwick, reading, Oxford, Birmingham new street, new street to lime street?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi, in addition to a fairly obv lewes victoria,Euston,lime street route, what other routes are valid with an off peak ticket lewes to Liverpool lime street?

specifically, would it be possible to go
lewes, gatwick, reading, Oxford, Birmingham new street, new street to lime street?

Thanks in advance
Yes, that would be permitted. Broadly speaking, you can go via Brighton or Plumpton to Gatwick, then either via Guildford to Reading and up to Birmingham as you say, or up to London on the Brighton Main Line.

From London you can get to the Birmingham area via Reading, via the Chiltern line, or via the WCML.

From the Birmingham area you can get to Liverpool via Crewe then via Runcorn or Chester, or via Shrewsbury and Chester.

Generally most 'branches' of the WCML are permitted, i.e. via Northampton, via the Trent Valley as well as via Birmingham and all of the interconnecting lines, such as Birmingham-Rugeley/Lichfield/Tamworth/Nuneaton (in either direction).

plugwash

Established Member
According to the routing point calculator the appropriate routing points are Lewes and Liverpool Group.

Valid map combinations

LONDON
LB+EB+ME
LB+EJ+CH
LB+EV
LB+LC+NO
LB+LC+NR
XB+BM+NO
XB+BM+NR
XB+BV
XB+ME

Regarding your particular question, taking a quick look at the routing maps.

XB seems to cover the Lewes->Gatwick->Redhill->Reading->Oxford->Birmingham part of your journey.
BM+NO seems to cover Birmingham to Manchester or Warrington, then to Liverpool via Newton Le willows.
BM+NR seems to cover Birmingham to Manchester or Warringtoon.then to Liverpool via Hunts Cross.
BV seems to cover Birmingham to Liverpool via Crewe (with a few optional loops)

I did not look at the routes starting with LB.

I have not checked for easements.

WesternLancer

Established Member
According to the routing point calculator the appropriate routing points are Lewes and Liverpool Group.

Valid map combinations

LONDON
LB+EB+ME
LB+EJ+CH
LB+EV
LB+LC+NO
LB+LC+NR
XB+BM+NO
XB+BM+NR
XB+BV
XB+ME

Regarding your particular question, taking a quick look at the routing maps.

XB seems to cover the Lewes->Gatwick->Redhill->Reading->Oxford->Birmingham part of your journey.
BM+NO seems to cover Birmingham to Manchester or Warrington, then to Liverpool via Newton Le willows.
BM+NR seems to cover Birmingham to Manchester or Warringtoon.then to Liverpool via Hunts Cross.
BV seems to cover Birmingham to Liverpool via Crewe (with a few optional loops)

I did not look at the routes starting with LB.

I have not checked for easements.
Many thanks and also to @Watershed for this helpful and detailed advice, which is much appreciated. I was unable to get on line after I posted the query (on a ship!) to thank you for taking the trouble to respond so promptly.
Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.