• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER guard asking for ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[.n]

That is fascinating. As noted, I can well imagine someone in that position would be challenged and heavily scrutinised every day, but the comfort of knowing that it was fully legitimate would make it worthwhile.
not at all in my experience - guards do tend to know about railcards and validity - I've never had a problem with using mine (other than it been checked for being in date / minimum fare rule applied when using it before 10am).

as noted by other posters - the eligibility checking for railcards is separate from validity verification

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1Q18

Because a Railcard could be lent to/borrowed by/stolen by/found by and used by another person, including someone not entitled to it at all, ie too old in this case!
If the photo matches the passenger presenting the railcard, and it doesn’t show any signs of being false, what business does the member of staff checking it have digging any further?

Falcon1200

Established Member
If the photo matches the passenger presenting the railcard, and it doesn’t show any signs of being false, what business does the member of staff checking it have digging any further?

I would generally agree none, but what if the photo does not appear to match the passenger? Maybe unlikely, but OTOH I recall cases of men picking up their wife's passport by mistake yet still being able to travel, internationally, regardless! But overall, on reflection, I concur that in most cases there would be no need for any further check.

Jim Jehosofat

The eligibility for railcards is determined during purchase and staff are well aware that mature students qualify for the 16-25. I don’t “look disabled” but have never had an issue using my DSB railcard.
Why are you using a Danske Statsbaner card:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.