• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER London - Leeds £220 single on Social Media/Yorkshire Evening Post

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As much as I am a strong advocate for disability access, why would there be a need for every duplicate to be accessible? Surely ensuring that sufficient coaches are accessible for those with mobility needs should be enough?

It's not a principle I agree with, but it is how the law is. For another thread, anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
As much as I am a strong advocate for disability access, why would there be a need for every duplicate to be accessible? Surely ensuring that sufficient coaches are accessible for those with mobility needs should be enough?
I think that in the scheduled coach market the additional coaches are already compliant because they also provide the maintenance and breakdown recovery margins. When there is a multiple duplicate coach situation what tends to happen is that for instance in the case of a London to Edinburgh service, one coach will go to Edinburgh non stop with only a driver change, one will go to Newcastle and then the scheduled stops to Edinburgh and one will do the normal stops all the way.
The General Hire coach firms manage the accessibility issue on the requirement of the hirers. The only customer they have where PSVAR compliance is mandatory is generally Rail Replacement where demand exceeds the supply of vehicles and qualified drivers. The rates for this type of work don't justify for most firms the additional costs. If the government were to mandate PSVAR compliant vehicles for the general hire sector it would mean that hire fees across the sector would have to increase significantly because the sector generally uses secondhand vehicles and casual labour. This is at a time when the sector is already hit by the costs of the Euro 6/ULEZ issues.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I believe that RRBs are now considered to be that same as trains, and all must be accessible. Similarly, road based public transport should also be universally accessible. It's the law.

thejuggler

I've suffered a late swap from 9 to a 10 car Azuma unit on a Leeds - KGX service. It wasn't a pleasant experience, largely because communication by staff explaining this was non existent.

Twingo37175

Looks like sense has prevailed with a 9 vice 5 swap. Normally this comes off the last Lincoln, but appears to now be coming off the Aberdeen service. Seemingly credit where it is due

Haywain

Veteran Member
Looks like sense has prevailed with a 9 vice 5 swap. Normally this comes off the last Lincoln, but appears to now be coming off the Aberdeen service. Seemingly credit where it is due
Planned, as per post #107.

sheff1

Established Member
The disquiet about pricing on the 2333 from KGX was actually mentioned by the ITV match commentator tonight. When the game looked to be going to extra time he also asked the rhetorical question "Will the train be held ?".

Established Member
And causing 2 services to be started short and 1 to terminate short tomorrow due to set imbalance.

robbeech

Established Member
And causing 2 services to be started short and 1 to terminate short tomorrow due to set imbalance.
It’s unhelpful. However at the start of the day there are easy and cost effective ways to get passengers where they need to be, all be it delayed. At the end of the day it’s absolute chaos and horrendously expensive for the tax payer.
Cancelling (or otherwise hindering) the last train of the day or cancelling (or otherwise hindering) one of the first ones the following day, it’s clear that you need to preserve the one that won’t leave hundreds in the cold overnight and this is the decision taken here.

Established Member
It’s unhelpful. However at the start of the day there are easy and cost effective ways to get passengers where they need to be, all be it delayed. At the end of the day it’s absolute chaos and horrendously expensive for the tax payer.
Cancelling (or otherwise hindering) the last train of the day or cancelling (or otherwise hindering) one of the first ones the following day, it’s clear that you need to preserve the one that won’t leave hundreds in the cold overnight and this is the decision taken here.
I never said it was unhelpful, mearly stating it’s not just an easy swap to do the night before.
The services terminating/starting short require additional moves on and off Neville Hill and require to use different platforms at Leeds, all of which needs planning and altering.
And it isn’t absolute chaos, it’s slight disruption to several people between Leeds/Harrogate.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Anyone know how it went? My other half was travelling earlier and there was disruption due to trespassers around 1800 with several services leaving Kings Cross around half an hour late.

It seems to have done well for time, but I was wondering how busy it was.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Anyone know how it went? My other half was travelling earlier and there was disruption due to trespassers around 1800 with several services leaving Kings Cross around half an hour late.

It seems to have done well for time, but I was wondering how busy it was.
Probably not as busy as my train back from Blackburn yesterday morning

robbeech

Established Member
And it isn’t absolute chaos, it’s slight disruption to several people between Leeds/Harrogate.
The chaos I refer to would be as a result of cancelling / short forming the evening service not the bits the following morning.