• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Heathrow T5 to Hurst Green Station

ukteo66

Hello friends,

I arrive at Heathrow terminal 5 on a Saturday morning. I would like to make my way to Hurst Green station which is on Southern Rail and it is 3 stations beyond zone 6.

I searched trainline and I can buy a through ticket from Heathrow all the way to Hurst Green. I have a few questions:
1. Can I get this ticket printed out at T5?
2. Once printed, I need to insert this ticket into the ticket gate, collect it out the other end and presumably do this again at Victoria to get onto Southern Rail?
3. Alternatively, could I just use contactless to get onto the underground and get a Southern rail ticket at Victoria to Hurst Green? I think it would only be a few p more.

Thanks very much in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Babybirdrobin

1. Can I get this ticket printed out at T5?
According to trainline, yes, although would check
2. Once printed, I need to insert this ticket into the ticket gate, collect it out the other end and presumably do this again at Victoria to get onto Southern Rail?
Yes:
You would need to:
Use barriers at Heathrow
Use Barriers at Victoria
Potentially (unlikely) use barriers at Hurst Green
3. Alternatively, could I just use contactless to get onto the underground and get a Southern rail ticket at Victoria to Hurst Green? I think it would only be a few p more.
Yes, if your card is signed up to the TFL system, feel free to use contactless and get a ticket at Victoria, always check the price beforehand though

Edit: wrong info

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, if your card is signed up to the TFL system, feel free to use contactless and get a ticket at Victoria, always check the price beforehand though
The contactless card does not need to be registered before use (although if it is an overseas card doing so might establish whether it will be accepted).

Last edited:

Pushpit

Yes, tickets can be collected at T5, when ordered in advance, there is an easy to spot set of machines for this on the arrivals level of Heathrow, between M&S and Costa Coffee. There are similar machines at T4 and T2-T3.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I searched trainline and I can buy a through ticket from Heathrow all the way to Hurst Green. I have a few questions:
Have you compared the price with a travelcard issued from Hurst Green depending on what you want to do?

£21.10 for an off-peak travelcard which would be valid to use the Elizabeth Line or the Piccadilly Line

£20.30 for a single from Underground Zone 1-6 to Hurst Green valid on the Piccadilly Line

£5.60 plus £13.90 for a Contactless single on the Piccadilly Line / District Line to Victoria and off-peak day single to Hurst Green.

Is the middle figure what Trainline is offering?

DavyCrocket

Or buy a Hurst Green to Victoria super off peak Return for £12.50 or a travelcard for £21.

This is only possible if you are making a journey out of London as you cannot use the outward without the return.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Or buy a Hurst Green to Victoria super off peak Return for £12.50 or a travelcard for £21.

This is only possible if you are making a journey out of London as you cannot use the outward without the return.

I'm not sure where the restriction is here. You can't use an outward portion *after* the return portion, but you can use either one on its own.

MrJeeves

Established Member
I'm not sure where the restriction is here. You can't use an outward portion *after* the return portion, but you can use either one on its own.
I think it was simply stating it's fine to do this leaving London but cautioning not to try it for a return journey from and back to London.

redreni

You may not want to do this if you're arriving with luggage but:

This journey could be done fairly efficiently on a £1.75 bus fare plus two single train tickets totalling £11.20:

• Bus 490 to Feltham station (or take the Piccadilly Line to Hatton Cross, which is a free transfer, and change there for a choice of buses to Feltham station which is a short distance away). (This part is a pain but doesn't take anywhere near as long as getting to central London and allows you to avoid central London).
  • Train from Feltham to Clapham Junction
  • Train from Clapham Junction to Hurst Green.
Fares
For the bus you just tap a contactless payment card and it'll be £1.75. You shouldn't need to change buses but if you do, transfers are free within 1 hour of the first tap in.

The train tickets you'll want are:
  • Off-peak single Ashford (Surrey) to Sanderstead (£5.70). (You would be starting your journey at Feltham when the ticket starts from the previous stop, which is Ashford (Surrey) - this is allowed and is slightly cheaper than buying a ticket from Feltham).
  • Anytime single Sanderstead to Hurst Green (£5.50).
You can buy those tickets online and collect at Terminal 5. For some reason I don't fully understand, the forum's ticketing site is not offering these as e-tickets. Maybe somebody could shed light on why that is?

MrJeeves

Established Member
You can buy those tickets online and collect at Terminal 5. For some reason I don't fully understand, the forum's ticketing site is not offering these as e-tickets. Maybe somebody could shed light on why that is?
The CDS from Ashford to Sanderstead is E-Ticketable.

For Sanderstead to Hurst Green, while the standard returns and 1st singles/returns are E-Ticketable, for some reason the standard single isn't.

As a result, the whole basket will only be fulfilled as ToD on the forum's site.

redreni

The CDS from Ashford to Sanderstead is E-Ticketable.

For Sanderstead to Hurst Green, while the standard returns and 1st singles/returns are E-Ticketable, for some reason the standard single isn't.

As a result, the whole basket will only be fulfilled as ToD on the forum's site.
Thanks. That's odd, isn't it?

If averse to relying on the ticket machines at Terminal 5 (which doesn't have a ticket office), the OP could opt to buy the ticket Ashford (Surrey) to Sanderstead as an e-ticket.

He could then get the remaining ticket at Clapham Junction when changing trains there, by simply buying it from the ticket office or by using the "tickets from other stations" facility on the ticket machines.

Alternatively he could buy it online (as a separate transaction) for ToD and would then have three opportunities to collect it; either at Terminal 5, or at Feltham, or at Clapham Junction when changing trains there. In the unlikely event of problems, at Clapham Junction there is some reassurance that staff will be able to assist and advise, and in some circumstances even print out ToD tickets at the ticket office (though they do expect people to try the machines first).

paul1609

Established Member
Thanks. That's odd, isn't it?

If averse to relying on the ticket machines at Terminal 5 (which doesn't have a ticket office), the OP could opt to buy the ticket Ashford (Surrey) to Sanderstead as an e-ticket.

He could then get the remaining ticket at Clapham Junction when changing trains there, by simply buying it from the ticket office or by using the "tickets from other stations" facility on the ticket machines.

Alternatively he could buy it online (as a separate transaction) for ToD and would then have three opportunities to collect it; either at Terminal 5, or at Feltham, or at Clapham Junction when changing trains there. In the unlikely event of problems, at Clapham Junction there is some reassurance that staff will be able to assist and advise, and in some circumstances even print out ToD tickets at the ticket office (though they do expect people to try the machines first).
My experience of Southern conductors/obs is that if you approach them with a TOD code they will print out the tickets for you.