• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

leightonbd

Two excellent journeys yesterday, the 0830 EDB-KGX and return on the 1830. Only gripe, which did not affect my plans, was no power in the sockets on the return.

Pic attached for breakfast lovers
image.jpg

Sea bream on the way home was excellent and saved me from having to have about my sixth sausage roll (very good, but ...) in a month.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
And yet again no hot food on the 17:19 to Hull. This seems to be a continuing problem. Today's excuse - staff shortage.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sea bream on the way home was excellent and saved me from having to have about my sixth sausage roll (very good, but ...) in a month.

Oh yes that one is good! And I share your sentiments about the sausage rolls. Very good but there's only so many times... :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Two excellent journeys yesterday, the 0830 EDB-KGX and return on the 1830. Only gripe, which did not affect my plans, was no power in the sockets on the return.

Pic attached for breakfast lovers
View attachment 31898

That does look nice. Is one allowed to substitute the mushroom for something else ?

me123

Established Member
Oh yes that one is good! And I share your sentiments about the sausage rolls. Very good but there's only so many times... :lol:

Accidentally had a sausage roll just over a week ago on VTEC - they are brilliant, not the usual greasy mess that you normally expect. Although the pack of HP sauce most certainly was not advertised!

leightonbd

That does look nice. Is one allowed to substitute the mushroom for something else ?

Not to my understanding: you have the full breakfast, full stop. (Or one of the alternatives). If you asked them to, say, omit the egg and give you an extra sausage ( which I have never tried) I think that could be seen as over stretching the crew, who have quite a lot to juggle on the breakfast runs. Best just not to eat what you don't want: in my case, the white of the fried egg.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not to my understanding: you have the full breakfast, full stop. (Or one of the alternatives). If you asked them to, say, omit the egg and give you an extra sausage ( which I have never tried) I think that could be seen as over stretching the crew, who have quite a lot to juggle on the breakfast runs. Best just not to eat what you don't want: in my case, the white of the fried egg.

That's a shame, although I would never expect to substitute a sausage for a vegetable. Extra beans is my usual request (although obviously not in this case).

Chrism20

Established Member
I've seen someone ask for them just to leave the black pudding off the plate with no alternative/replacement and they were told just to shove it to the side of the plate and leave it.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've seen someone ask for them just to leave the black pudding off the plate with no alternative/replacement and they were told just to shove it to the side of the plate and leave it.

What a waste - they could have given it to me !!

We have spoken about variations to the standard format before and it would seem even if there were only a handful of Breakfasts to dish out (which is often the case) any deviation from the norm would send them into a tizzy.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I would have happily swapped with them.

misterredmist

Went P'boro to Berwick-upon-Tweed last Weds, lovely cooked breakfast, plenty of tea and coffee and a G&T later on.....the 'missus' followed on a later train and enjoyed the chicken and mushroom.

en-route back home yesterday, we were caught up in the 'Retford' chaos and all coaches were, understandably rammed, 1st Class was 'declassified' . But we were able to make our way to the buffet car for sarnies, snacks and drinks, which were being served efficiently by the staff whom I will be complimenting on the VTEC website later today....

Chrism20

Established Member
I've received a survey this morning from VTEC about future packages and offerings in both first and standard, although it's mainly focused on first class.

Some of the suggestions include

Three course menus from renowned chefs
Light bites menu with cash charge to upgrade to three course
Unlimited beers and wines
Privacy screens in first class
Abolishing the quiet coach and letting you choose to be seated with "likeminded people" when booking
Massages onboard
Pre-order platters for groups
Pre-order champagne cocktails
Door to door pick up service
Allocated prebooked parking
Onboard staff booking taxis
Hair styling onboard
Sparking reward club with free coffee and first class upgrade after ten standard journeys
Pre-order family feast picnics
Pre-order hangover cure
Complimentary chocolate before arrival
Azuma kids club

There was more but this is what I can remember off the top of my head

dave87016

Established Member
Massages?? really?? I cannot see that working at all , light bites I presume complimentary depending what they are the option to pay a upgrade to a three course meal assuming of course its a bit like Pullman and not similar to how it currently is - is something that VTEC first class has been crying out for and needs

Unlimited beer and wines surely sounds like something that Butts would be jumping up and down for joy with !! on the other hand its inviting possible trouble from people who tend to get rowdy after a few ( already been drinking in some cases)

Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Massages?? really?? I cannot see that working at all , light bites I presume complimentary depending what they are the option to pay a upgrade to a three course meal assuming of course its a bit like Pullman and not similar to how it currently is - is something that VTEC first class has been crying out for and needs

Unlimited beer and wines surely sounds like something that Butts would be jumping up and down for joy with !! on the other hand its inviting possible trouble from people who tend to get rowdy after a few ( already been drinking in some cases)

Yes definitely massages and hair styling, not sure what to make of that one myself yet.

The three course does sound good, however on the ticket options selector that they showed it would have been a £7 up charge on a ticket that was already £286 which I felt was ever so slightly extracting the urine.

Unlimited beer and wine - spirits were also mentioned on a couple of the options I think could be VERY messy.

dave87016

Established Member
Chrism20 , if they choose to charge for the three course option given your £7 up charge on already a whopping £286 ticket then I cant see much demand apart from Business folk , and if demand diminishes they may use that as a way and means of getting rid of first class service

Chrism20

Established Member
Chrism20 , if they choose to charge for the three course option given your £7 up charge on already a whopping £286 ticket then I cant see much demand apart from Business folk , and if demand diminishes they may use that as a way and means of getting rid of first class service

That was my thinking on it. On advances etc I'd happily pay a supplement of double that if it meant getting a decent two/three course dinner rather than light bites or a sausage roll.

On tickets of that price though imo it should be included.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member

It might be if I was not marooned in South Wales :p

This could get seriously messy if they have a hybrid gratis/pay system ?:p

me123

Established Member
I wonder why I'm not invited to comment? I'd be interested to see the proposals.

There's lots of really good ideas here I think. I quite like the idea of the light bites menu with a charge to upgrade to a three course meal. I think it will really strike the right balance between providing a good service as standard, and having something extra for those who want it. (Although perhaps it's worth include the full service with the Anytime tickets?). Staff booking taxis for onward travel is a simple and brilliant idea. And a little complimentary chocolate (or why not Love Hearts, like on Virgin Atlantic?) would not go amiss!

The massages and hair styling are completely non-sensical ideas. I don't think we should entertain them any further. I certainly don't want anyone with scissors going near my head on a train travelling at 125mph. Maybe there's an argument to have these in the first class lounges: this is again similar to Virgin Atlantic (apparently).

I'm not hugely keen on the whole "like-minded people" thing. KLM do this (Meet and Seat) - you upload your social media pages for the world to see and people choose whether or not to sit next to you based on that. It's a completely bizarre idea that I've never understood the point of. You can meet people without this, and they're probably statistically less likely to be creepy weirdos.

The pre-order selections (are these available throughout the train, or just First Class?) sound like good and workable ideas. Just don't tell William Hanson. The hangover cure is a bit odd. The reward club is great and I'd actively encourage this, and the kids club sounds like something worth exploring.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The massages and hair styling are completely non-sensical ideas. I don't think we should entertain them any further. I certainly don't want anyone with scissors going near my head on a train travelling at 125mph. Maybe there's an argument to have these in the first class lounges: this is again similar to Virgin Atlantic (apparently).

There's been shoulder massages available in the Kings X lounge for a while now.

dave87016

Established Member
Believe me you'd need a skinful of East Coast Freebie Scotch and a Bag <D

I am really missing my VWC/VEC 1st Class Jollies - First Great Western offer nothing anywhere near as cheap or good :cry:

No they don't but GWR serve the drinks very frequently both hot and cold beverages between Paddington and Exeter it came round around at least 8 times.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think a version of the EMT First class offering, suitably adapted for long distance is the way to go. For those not aquainted, free tea/coffee, juice, water and snacks and a good menu of food to order, cooked fresh, served nicely and in a timely way with payment taken by the TM or catering staff. On the east coast the freebies could include pre packaged sarnies and a fruit bowl as well a regular drinks rounds (I got 3 on a London Nottingham the other week) and the menu could be similar to EMT's with the option to pay for 2 or 3 courses as a package if wanted. If you want to add booz free or as part of a deal fare enough.

The system above would work well and be far nicer/better quality and would make me far more likely to upgrade or buy First tickets if I was getting a consitstantly good complimentary offering with the option to upgrade to something more substantial.

Staff ordering cabs particularly for weard and wonderful destinations such as Berwick or Avymore is a cracking idea, as are the kids club and loyalty scheme although I fail to see how the Nectar system couldnt be made to work harder.

leightonbd

Finally made the acquaintance of the lamb stew yesterday. (northbound Chieftain). Very tasty but gosh, the portion size is small. And, unless you have a sweet tooth (muffins, biscuits, apple) that was it for 4 hrs 40 mins. I usually take backup supplies so it wasn't an issue but if you are relying on the train to feed you, the risk of disappointment seems to be growing as the portion size, IMO, seems to be decreasing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 67

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think a version of the EMT First class offering, suitably adapted for long distance is the way to go. For those not aquainted, free tea/coffee, juice, water and snacks and a good menu of food to order, cooked fresh, served nicely and in a timely way with payment taken by the TM or catering staff. On the east coast the freebies could include pre packaged sarnies and a fruit bowl as well a regular drinks rounds (I got 3 on a London Nottingham the other week) and the menu could be similar to EMT's with the option to pay for 2 or 3 courses as a package if wanted. If you want to add booz free or as part of a deal fare enough.

The system above would work well and be far nicer/better quality and would make me far more likely to upgrade or buy First tickets if I was getting a consitstantly good complimentary offering with the option to upgrade to something more substantial.

Staff ordering cabs particularly for weard and wonderful destinations such as Berwick or Avymore is a cracking idea, as are the kids club and loyalty scheme although I fail to see how the Nectar system couldnt be made to work harder.

Yes, I've found the EMT 1st class offer very good. A meal at £5-6 is pretty decent.

Veteran Member
Yes, I've found the EMT 1st class offer very good. A meal at £5-6 is pretty decent.

Sampled it for the first time last week.

A bargain at £3-odd each way with Railcard, and frequent service.

I was a bit disappointed with the main meal - Mediterranean veg and rice, 90% rice plus a few cherry tomatoes to garnish - so it was a Simply Food job for the return.