• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Cardiff friday 1/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Van

Morning
We have advance tickets for the above, mid morning departure from Padd. Looking at the GWR Web it appears this won't be running and we can only go Padd-Bristol then Bristol to Cardiff but no timetable yet.
My wife is already stressing saying she doesn't want to stand etc, based on previous strike days what will the frequency be like, will the trains be rammed, no reservations etc?
I can drive if necessary, any advice gratefully received thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
I'm also interested in anyone's experience of travelling this route on previous strike days
In my experience, long distance routes on strike days tend to be rather empty in reality because most people don't want to travel. At least that's my experience using Avanti into or out of London.

The_Van

In my experience, long distance routes on strike days tend to be rather empty in reality because most people don't want to travel. At least that's my experience using Avanti into or out of London.
Thanks that was sort of my thinking, presumably our advance tickets Padd to Cardiff will be valid on any Padd to Bristol, Bristol to Cardiff trains?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
...presumably our advance tickets Padd to Cardiff will be valid on any Padd to Bristol, Bristol to Cardiff trains?
Not sure, unless specifically allowed, you can necessarily automatically assume that on advance tickets, especially so if the specific trains you're booked on, do actually run.

The_Van

Not sure you can necessarily automatically assume that on advance tickets, especially so if the specific trains you're booked on, do actually run.
There are no London to Cardiff services running, you have to go London-Bristol TM then from there to Cardiff

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Using the tickets via Bristol on a strike day won't be an issue. I can't comment on how busy the trains will be but when I've travelled on strike days (admitedely not London to Cardiff) I've generally not had any issues with the trains being busy.

The_Van

Using the tickets via Bristol on a strike day won't be an issue. I can't comment on how busy the trains will be but when I've travelled on strike days (admitedely not London to Cardiff) I've generally not had any issues with the trains being busy.
Thanks Hadders much appreciated

Pdf

I'm doing the same journey. I've also seen there are coaches from Bristol to Cardiff in case I reach Bristol only to end up stranded.

StarCrossing

My experiences of travelling between London and Bristol on strike days is that the trains are busy but not crush-loaded. As ever, the best approach is to arrive at Paddington early, wait on the bridge, and once the train is announced head to the very front of the train. The vast majority of passengers will pile on at the back of the train.

Unless there's an event on, I'd expect Bristol to Cardiff trains to be quiet.

The_Van

My experiences of travelling between London and Bristol on strike days is that the trains are busy but not crush-loaded. As ever, the best approach is to arrive at Paddington early, wait on the bridge, and once the train is announced head to the very front of the train. The vast majority of passengers will pile on at the back of the train.

Unless there's an event on, I'd expect Bristol to Cardiff trains to be quiet.
Thank you that's excellent advice, are the trains completely unreserved or do we need to head for specific coaches?

StarCrossing

Thank you that's excellent advice, are the trains completely unreserved or do we need to head for specific coaches?
When I've travelled between Bristol and London, it's been just like normal - there are reservations in place, but lots of unreserved seats too. I wouldn't expect reservations on the Bristol to Cardiff leg, but that's just an educated guess.

The_Van

When I've travelled between Bristol and London, it's been just like normal - there are reservations in place, but lots of unreserved seats too. I wouldn't expect reservations on the Bristol to Cardiff leg, but that's just an educated guess.
Thanks that's great

Status
Not open for further replies.