• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 & CSA2 (2022 & 2023 applications)

boiledbeans2

I have a question, I didn't get a CSA role, but an office role, but I think it might be relevant to this thread too.

One of the benefits at TfL is the "Private healthcare discounted scheme". How does this work? I've asked multiple people and I get different answers.

The 2024/2025 employee-only cover is £962 per annum, but the document says we do not need to pay it. Instead, we are subject to extra tax of £14.80 every 4 weeks.

So am I right to say that if you join the scheme, you lose £14.80 from your salary (every 4 weeks), compared to someone who didn't join the scheme?

And then when you do visit a private clinic, you will have to pay upfront, and the cost will be reimbursed later, subject to tax? Therefore, you do not get 100% reimbursement?

Is the above right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TFLtalk

Thanks , I did call them and they say to just wait for a phone call.
Hey, even I am waiting for TFL to call me for booking the health test. I send an email to them yesterday and they replied today saying that they don’t have any dates available for occupational health test currently and that they will contact me after it becomes available.

gabsy

Please I will like to know, after completing your Reed's screening, will you get an email first with your employment contract before you receive a call to book medicals or will you get the call for medical first???

When did you complete your reeds screening, how long have you waited now since it's completed?
Hey, even I am waiting for TFL to call me for booking the health test. I send an email to them yesterday and they replied today saying that they don’t have any dates available for occupational health test currently and that they will contact me after it becomes available.

TFLtalk

Please I will like to know, after completing your Reed's screening, will you get an email first with your employment contract before you receive a call to book medicals or will you get the call for medical first???

When did you complete your reeds screening, how long have you waited now since it's completed?
I didn’t get both contract and call for health test booking. I only booked my training date.

My Reed screening took a lot of time, a bit over a month. It got over only a few days back. They did call me for booking the training date before Reed screening got completed though.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have a question, I didn't get a CSA role, but an office role, but I think it might be relevant to this thread too.

One of the benefits at TfL is the "Private healthcare discounted scheme". How does this work? I've asked multiple people and I get different answers.
I’m not sure this is relavent in this thread, the private medical benefit is only for TfL staff as well as certain LU managers. As CSAs are employed on LUL as opposed to TfL contracts they are not eligible for private medical benefit.

The 2024/2025 employee-only cover is £962 per annum, but the document says we do not need to pay it. Instead, we are subject to extra tax of £14.80 every 4 weeks.

So am I right to say that if you join the scheme, you lose £14.80 from your salary (every 4 weeks), compared to someone who didn't join the scheme?
Membership to a private medical scheme is considered as a benefit in kind, accordingly you will have to pay tax on the cost to the employer. As TfL is paying £962, you will have to pay tax on it, so either £14.80 per payday if you are a standard rate taxpayer or £29.60 if you are a higher rate taxpayer.

And then when you do visit a private clinic, you will have to pay upfront, and the cost will be reimbursed later, subject to tax? Therefore, you do not get 100% reimbursement?

Is the above right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
This bit is not right. If you wish to make use of the policy, you telephone the number on the documentation who make arrangements to directly reimburse the hospital, subject to an excess which you pay.

kinkywinpat

I didn’t get both contract and call for health test booking. I only booked my training date.

My Reed screening took a lot of time, a bit over a month. It got over only a few days back. They did call me for booking the training date before Reed screening got completed though.
I think it's standard practice to book training date before reed checks but the training date you booked is not certain until you have been booked for your medicals. I chose 27th as my start date before the reed checks , but I have not gotten a call for medicals yet so not sure I would start on the 27th like I chose.

Tobes1994

I think it's standard practice to book training date before reed checks but the training date you booked is not certain until you have been booked for your medicals. I chose 27th as my start date before the reed checks , but I have not gotten a call for medicals yet so not sure I would start on the 27th like I chose.
How long did you wait from passing the Role play/SBI before getting an email to confirm and to do the onboarding documents etc/REED checks? I know you are told straight away if you pass.

Kay_M

Seeing the comments about how long Reed takes usually depends on how quickly the information is given to them. So to answer your question, a friend of mine who applied for a role in tfl told me they do ask for a multiple of things AS LONG AS it has your START DATE and END DATE.

kinkywinpat

How long did you wait from passing the Role play/SBI before getting an email to confirm and to do the onboarding documents etc/REED checks? I know you are told straight away if you pass.
No they didn't tell me right away I got the job I had to wait 10 working days meanwhile a friend was told same day that she got the job. A week later reed contacted me for checks and it took two weeks to get back. So basically I have not heard back since April 22nd when reed completed the checks, I did my SBI interview march 25th.

Tobes1994

No they didn't tell me right away I got the job I had to wait 10 working days meanwhile a friend was told same day that she got the job. A week later reed contacted me for checks and it took two weeks to get back. So basically I have not heard back since April 22nd when reed completed the checks, I did my SBI interview march 25th.
Phew! As I have my documents ready to send off, but have to wait for the confirmation email first.

TFLtalk

I booked June 10th as my start date. Hopefully TFL gets slots available soon for occupational health test so that we can start training on time.

Wakky

I booked June 10th as my start date. Hopefully TFL gets slots available soon for occupational health test so that we can start training on time.
Same here. I called up and managed to speak to the person dealing with my onboarding and got confirmed for 10th June training start with an email confirming this (subject to passing occ health obvs, so I could tender my resignation at my current job) but still waiting for occ health test booking. I believe they're prioritising the candidates with start dates before us. We should be getting a call in the next week hopefully.

kinkywinpat

Same here. I called up and managed to speak to the person dealing with my onboarding and got confirmed for 10th June training start with an email confirming this (subject to passing occ health obvs, so I could tender my resignation at my current job) but still waiting for occ health test booking. I believe they're prioritising the candidates with start dates before us. We should be getting a call in the next week hopefully.
Well my start date is 27th and I have not heard from anyone yet

Which number did you call please ?

Wakky

Which number did you call please ?
I called the usual onboarding number 020 3005 1680. The advisor forwarded me on to the recruitment officer (who's name has been on most of my onboarding emails) who booked me onto a course, I asked the same question about the medical and she confirmed there weren't a lot of dates but every batch that's released they book candidates who are due to start soonest. Was your 27th start date confirmed with them or was that the date on your reed Xms portal? I think the reed one is just a provisional date as mine was 13th may start date for reed, but ended up being booked into 10th June as training courses were booked up.

CSANewbie2024

I am pretty furious - TFL took 2 weeks to respond to Reed's question about my screening, and consequently all the start dates have been filled. Now I'm back in limbo and pretty certain that when the next bout of start dates come up I'll get caught in Limbo again.

It's coming up to 2 years now since I applied for TFL, and I'm still yet to start :(

kinkywinpat

I called the usual onboarding number 020 3005 1680. The advisor forwarded me on to the recruitment officer (who's name has been on most of my onboarding emails) who booked me onto a course, I asked the same question about the medical and she confirmed there weren't a lot of dates but every batch that's released they book candidates who are due to start soonest. Was your 27th start date confirmed with them or was that the date on your reed Xms portal? I think the reed one is just a provisional date as mine was 13th may start date for reed, but ended up being booked into 10th June as training courses were booked up.
They sent me a list of start dates and told me which one i wanted and I picked 27th

TFLtalk

Did you choose your start date in the onboarding form or did TFL call you and confirm the training date? I had chosen a completely different date in the onboarding form but when they called me that date wasn’t available.

Regarding the medical, I send an email to TFL onboarding and then they called me and booked a slot for it.

It’s nice to see you got the same training date. See you there!

Veeky

They sent me a list of start dates and told me which one i wanted and I picked 27th
Im afraid that date does not count. I picked April 22nd and when I called closer to the date, they said they had to call to confirm the start date which they did and I started yesterday, May 20th.

kinkywinpat

Did you choose your start date in the onboarding form or did TFL call you and confirm the training date? I had chosen a completely different date in the onboarding form but when they called me that date wasn’t available.

Regarding the medical, I send an email to TFL onboarding and then they called me and booked a slot for it.

I have called the onboarding team so many times and they kept saying I have to wait to get a call to go for medicals and nobody has called me to confirm dates. It was the one I chose on the onboarding form. I am very sad about this. They kept telling me to wait and it's been over a month now

I have called the onboarding team so many times and they kept saying I have to wait to get a call to go for medicals and nobody has called me to confirm dates. It was the one I chose on the onboarding form. I am very sad about this. They kept telling me to wait and it's been over a month now
I have just called now again and they have said there is no start date for me and I should wait. I will be given a call. Please anyone got their email that I can use to send a message? Is it the high onboarding email?

Wakky

Yeah I remember picking most of May dates on that form, but by the time my screening had completed the next available training date was 10th June

I chose most of May on the onboarding form but called to get a confirmed date for 10th June. For the medical they must have had a new batch when you emailed because I'm still waiting for the call to book it.

TFLtalk

I know, it’s really frustrating to call TFL and not get any response. They will anyway have to book you in so hopefully you will get a call soon. They do respond to emails so that’s an option to try.

kinkywinpat

I know, it’s really frustrating to call TFL and not get any response. They will anyway have to book you in so hopefully you will get a call soon. They do respond to emails so that’s an option to try.
I have just called now again and they have said there is no start date for me and I should wait. I will be given a call. Please anyone got their email that I can use to send a message? Is it the high onboarding email?

Wakky

i Think there's no start date because your medical hasn't been booked yet and it's only 6 days left. I called at the beginning of may and was given a June start when my provisional start date was 13th May so I reckon you'd be getting a June training date also?

kinkywinpat

i Think there's no start date because your medical hasn't been booked yet and it's only 6 days left. I called at the beginning of may and was given a June start when my provisional start date was 13th May so I reckon you'd be getting a June training date also?
Well hopefully

Have you done your medicals now ?

Wakky

I was told yesterday when I called that I should be contacted soon to book medical. Apparently the recruitment officer dealing with it was on annual leave last week and just got back yesterday

kinkywinpat

The
I was told yesterday when I called that I should be contacted soon to book medical. Apparently the recruitment officer dealing with it was on annual leave last week and just got back yesterday
The guy I spoke to on the phone now didn't sound promising, he said you will be contacted in few weeks, that's what he says anytime I call , it's been more than a month now.

Wakky

The

The guy I spoke to on the phone now didn't sound promising, he said you will be contacted in few weeks, that's what he says anytime I call , it's been more than a month now.
There's a lot of chasing up with TfL I've noticed, probably because of the high volume they deal with... even with the screening I had to chase up once it had been completed for them to confirm using HMRC tax records for one of my references who wasn't using an 'official email'. If I hadn't, I think I would still be stuck at the screening stage lol

kinkywinpat

Wow I need to start chasing up then. If not I might be stuck for one year without a start date. Someone here said she is still stuck after two years
There's a lot of chasing up with TfL I've noticed, probably because of the high volume they deal with... even with the screening I had to chase up once it had been completed for them to confirm using HMRC tax records for one of my references who wasn't using an 'official email'. If I hadn't, I think I would still be stuck at the screening stage lol

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I think a lot of people need to learn the art of patience - trust me, it’s a key skill for a future career with any part of LU.

I get it’s frustrating not knowing but these things move as fast as they move. Every time you chase up you’re only taking someone away from their job of actually onboarding things. It isn’t unknown to wait a year to start railway jobs, although I would suggest that the person who is speaking of a two year wait is at the abnormal end due to waiting specifically for CSA1 Night Tube and/or part time roles - these will only get filled as and when those vacancies become available, and there are usually significant internal waiting lists for any PT role that isn’t Night Tube. Other internal changes and happenings won’t have helped any of the recruitment processes.

Sit tight, get your documents filled in as promptly as possible and TfL will get back to you.

FWIW I had to wait 6 months from getting offered a job to starting, and the referencing and medical aspects took the longest. Once they were done things started to move more quickly, although I also acknowledge I was in a position of not needing to give a notice period.

It is worth also noting that should you ever apply for any internal promotional opportunities such as Supervisor or Train Operator it isn’t unknown to wait in excess of a year…