• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long turn-rounds at quiet terminus stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
40 minutes at Hazel Grove for the Blackpool North services
I think it's similar for the Alderley Edge terminators, they sit in one of the turnback sidings for a good 40 minutes.

Better to have a long turn around time than too little.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John C

In the early 1980s turnaround at Scarborough on summer Sundays was around 5 hours. Services from Sheffield, Bradford and other places would arrive by midday(ish) then depart at tea time. Same loco, coaches and crew. The punters would have a day out at the seaside. Possibly the crew too?
Up until recently before it was cancelled the EMR service was an example of this arriving Scarborough (York in Winter) late morning and returning to St Pancras early evening.

Sunil_P

Does this ever happen? i.e. a train terminates at either a dead-end terminus or a very quiet junction station as part of the regular hourly clockface service, and has a long turn around time of more than 30 minutes, due to timetable constraints. I'm thinking of any occurrence in modern times, post-Beeching, i.e. from approximately 1970 onwards - but I am thinking of the regular off-peak pattern, not exceptions around the peaks or late at night.

I wonder what drivers and guards do if there is a long wait at such a terminus station as part of the hourly pattern. I'd imagine that it might help if there is a station cafe...

To give an example of the sort of stations I'm thinking of, they would include - but not be restricted to - Alton, East Grinstead, Uckfield, Henley and Marlow.
Marlow? No I had only 10 minutes to take pics last Sunday! Henley? Only 3 minutes on Sunday 23rd, so I had to get the next departure!

m4tt

Over the summer I spent 45 minutes on a 158 at Milford Haven awaiting the return service to Cardiff. I remember the guard cracked a joke about how I must be crazy to have come all this way to visit!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
|Windsor & Eton Central? No, only 5 minutes or so when I went there on Oct 12th!
Riverside. There isn't scope to have trains hang around at any of Henley, Marlow and Windsor & Eton Central given they are all single line routes.

John C

Clitheroe is another example (ish) where the service arrives generally at :56 departing at :23 minutes past the next hour, however the ish part is the unit is not sat the whole dwell time in the station as it reverses from platform 2 to platform 1 via Horrocksford Junction, this ECS move more often than not takes around 5 minutes platform to platform rather than the allotted 17 minutes allowed for the move thus spending more dwell time on the station.

D6130

Established Member
and a decent spoons, but are train crews allowed to visit while on duty?
No....they're most definitely not. That didn't stop crews making surreptitious pub visits on long layover jobs - known to diagrammers as 'temptation turns' - in the past....but things have very much been tightened-up nowadays - especially since the Eltham Well Hall and Morpeth accidents.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
We had a turn Bristol to Frome with a 40 min turnaround at Frome. The phone number of the Chinese outside the station was written on the turn card. Prior to leaving Westbury one would place an order and collect upon arrival.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Some long turnrounds (e.g. Kyle, Mallaig, Oban, Wick) are specifically timed to allow the traincrew to have their break. But in most cases it's just a function of how the paths work out.

Saltburn will see long ~53 minute turnrounds for Manchester Airport services from December, with trains booked to pass each other at the single lead junction to the west of the station.

I wonder whether this might be the winner for a regular clockface hourly service?

I suppose the staff could use it as an official break - as long as the train has a toilet. Mind you, I have no idea how these things work.
It depends on the agreements that are in place. TOCs often have agreements that instead of a shift having one long break, it can have two shorter breaks if that makes it more efficient (bearing in mind you can't go more than 6 hours without a break, but the maximum shift length is typically between 9-10.5 hours).

And sometimes the shorter breaks can be taken onboard trains, as long as there is a toilet available.

Ex-controller

There are also one or two turnarounds at Gourock that are 4-6 hours. The unit basically stables there during the day.
There’s usually 2-3 trains an hour off peak at Gourock, not sure it fits the example the OP was looking for.

Alloa used to be one such example, roughly 40 minutes turn around when it was an hourly service. Traincrew used to go to the cafe at Asda next to the station.

Also, others suggesting whetherspoons in certain locations, not sure that’s a wise option for an on duty traincrew.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Saltburn will see long ~53 minute turnrounds for Manchester Airport services from December, with trains booked to pass each other at the single lead junction to the west of the station.

I wonder whether this might be the winner for a regular clockface hourly service?
Not meeting the OP's criteria of being at a quiet terminus and admittedly including a shunt between platforms, trains from Ebbw Vale spend 60 mins at Cardiff Central before returning.

Class800

Established Member
We had a turn Bristol to Frome with a 40 min turnaround at Frome. The phone number of the Chinese outside the station was written on the turn card. Prior to leaving Westbury one would place an order and collect upon arrival.
that's the sort of fun story I love

Snow1964

Established Member
Since Op asked for since 1970s, when HSTs were first introduced they were at Kings Cross long enough for end panels to be raised and plugged into shore power.

Can’t remember if it happened at Paddington too

Western 52

Back in the 1980s some of the holiday trains from Derby and Leicester used to spend the whole day at Skegness. I wondered how they arranged the crews.

Iskra

Established Member
Back in the 1980s some of the holiday trains from Derby and Leicester used to spend the whole day at Skegness. I wondered how they arranged the crews.
The Skegness EMR summer IC extras still sit for a good couple of hours (although the crews may not).

The Brigg service (remember that) also sits there a long time, possibly also a couple of hours from memory.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Buxton. The timetable on that line is quite silly; it's apparently so tight that trains can't serve both Middlewood and Dove Holes in the same hour
I think the alternate hours calls at Middlewood and Dove Holes are more about lack of demand rather than tight timetabling - and it does make the slow journey to Buxton marginally less slow.

I suppose the staff could use it as an official break - as long as the train has a toilet. Mind you, I have no idea how these things work.
There are no Mess Room Facilites for Traincrew at Hazel Grove, and even if there were the train is parked in a siding for most of the turnround.

nw1

Established Member
Four minutes for most of the day, apart from the third-to-last and second-to-last that have nineteen minutes and seventeen minutes respectively.

Interesting, I always had the idea that five minutes was the minimum for a turnaround (for reliability reasons).

SteveM70

Established Member
When the push-pull 73 powered Gatwick Express was launched, was it not the case that they deliberately planned it with excessive layovers so that there’d always be a train sat at both Victoria and Gatwick?

dk1

Veteran Member
When the push-pull 73 powered Gatwick Express was launched, was it not the case that they deliberately planned it with excessive layovers so that there’d always be a train sat at both Victoria and Gatwick?

Yes, should always be a service boarding was one of the advertising claims.

Established Member

And exactly how the 15 minute frequency Stansted Express was planned too, not that either end could be described as quiet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.