• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for information / timetables on Maun Coaches (Maun Motors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
When I was a child I used to visit my grandparents in Nottinghamshire. They lived near Maun Motors who rented out vans. I believe they were connected with Maun Coaches/Buses of Mansfield and occasionally I'd see their buses.

I've seen a couple of their timetables in old timetable books which seemed to show them running some very early and late services in the mid eighties, but I'd be interested in any history / list of routes or particularly timetables that might be out there - there seems to be very little (I've found a handful of photos of buses, seemingly each in their own livery).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncombec

Obviously it won't help with the immediate discovery, but it might be worth making contact with The Bus Archive.

I just tried their search function (under "Maun" - Maun Motors didn't return anything) and they have three files of material, and something labelled "unsuccessful offer for Maun" in the Wellglade files.

M803UYA

Not sure if you're on facebook or not, but there is a group there run by Stephen Read, who is the son of the founder of the business. Think it's set to public. I've messaged him to see if there's an email address I can forward onto you via pm.

Roger1973

It's worth searching on 'Maun International' and 'Maun Crusader' on Flickr. This (not mine) is one. The colouful scheme seems to have been fleet livery, but there's quite a few photos of 'as acquired / not yet repainted' buses out there as well.

I spent some time on the Notts / Derbys borders in the late 80s and my recollection is they mainly did tendered and schools services in those counties, rather than commercial routes, so the county councils' timetable books / leaflets of the era may be the best bet, as smaller operators tended not to produce their own publicity as well. I can't remember now whether either went in for timetable book/lets or individual route leaflets at the time.

I'm also not sure if they got as far as S Yorks or Lincolnshire other than just getting in to those counties on services from Notts / Derbys.

One group of routes was a small network that met at Crich, route numbers mostly somewhere round 140 (possibly the old Trent route numbers, although think they had historically been Midland General routes.) From memory, it was about 4 buses' worth, with route/s to Matlock, Ripley, Alfreton and Belper. I understand it was Derbyshire CC tendered. Vehicles ranged from ex SBG Leopard / Alexander Y type to a couple of Optare Star Riders (again, from memory of 30+ years ago, I think the latter were in a plainer livery - possibly red and green.) I don't know if the Star Riders were bought, leased, or possibly even owned by the county council and leased as part of the tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.