• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

cammyeaston

I remember when I was a child in the 90s, up until the major service changes in 2000, a 22B and 25B. If I remember correctly, the 22B was a Saturdays only extension to Currie?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
I remember when I was a child in the 90s, up until the major service changes in 2000, a 22B and 25B. If I remember correctly, the 22B was a Saturdays only extension to Currie?
22B and 25B were the morning and afternoon peak journeys that ran via Sighthill Industrial Estate, instead of staying on Calder Road.

Lothianbus703

Those ones are correct yes. There was a school journey 44A as well which I think ran one way from Macmerry to Tranent. I thought all 4 variations (44/B/C/D) went to Balerno as some-point but never all at one time. There might have even been a 44E for a while too and of course the Sunday only 66 which went via Portobello as well.

Lothian I think have only ever gone up to C, maybe D at a push. Not 100% sure though.
Did the 66 not run all through the week?

DunsBus

Established Member
Did the 66 not run all through the week?
66 during the week and 66A on Sundays. The 66 was Balerno to Wallyford, the 66A Balerno to Seton Sands. LRT was the only one to run to Wallyford terminus all through the week.

Last edited:

cammyeaston

Perhaps at First it did, but I thought it was later changed to be Sunday only running Balerno to Seton Sands via Portobello as a 66. This was in place of the 129 which didn’t run on a Sunday.
Yes that's correct. Eventually the 66 ceased entirely and wasn't replaced so First didn't operate a Balerno route on a Sunday.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
It’s a mess apparently the app is showing buses stop at Leith Walk going down but they actually go down Easter Road
The app shows the map of bus stops along the timetabled route, rather than the route with diversions considered, and I don't think there's a way to change it. When the diversion first changed (before the 20th, when the timetable change occured) the app still showed the map going via Easter road for those diverted via McDonald road leading to lots of complaints.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
That's odd, hope the next service change comes soon to fix the issue, maybe it will fix on the festive changes.
There is no issue to fix, Lothian would have to rework their whole system to show diversions on the map. Leith walk reopens 19th December I believe.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
They should maybe put a notice at the top of the screen about it for those travellers then, it's a big blow.
How is it a big blow? The diversion is still clearly listed and only the stops on Leith Walk that are open are included. The closed ones are not included, but the way it’s been set up means it won’t take long at all to add them. The change was legally registered to take affect on November 20th. This means the diversions now are considered a temporary one, just like any normal road closure. Until then they had been registered as a permanent change, which is why the app listed it as such.

The app and it’s supporting technology has been long overdue a major upgrade, but money and these new locators not being installed yet probably means it can’t happen for a while.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The diverted 16 is a complete shambles on wheels. The diversion is not showing on a lot of bus stop signs there and so you get the countdown followed by nothing and then about once an hour it flashes up diverted. I had completely forgotten about the latest lot of alterations and stood at Great Junction Street for 45 minutes yesterday before finally getting on a 21 and changing again additionally at Drylaw police station. Had I remembered this and had it been more clearly displayed on various platforms I would have stayed on the 21 that I'd initially boarded at Portobello Bridge Street.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Lothian Country repaint & fleet changes progress (doesn't include 579-590):

571/5/6/7 - Away at Ferrymill Motors
574 - Moving to Livingston from Marine as we speak after paint, took a wrong turn and found itself in Old Town
572/3/8 - Out and about in service
1037/43/8/9 - Away at Bustec in Bellshill (1037) or Ferrymill motors (the rest)
1045 - Back out after repaint at Bustec in Bellshill, not yet spotted.
The rest are yet to be painted.
All of 171, 176-190 are at Newbridge now bar 183 which is at Longstone for an MOT.

Note, 931 moved to Marine this evening.
Also, 1126 returned from paint last week but still no indication as of yet on the livery its in.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Also, 1126 returned from paint last week but still no indication as of yet on the livery its in.

Travelled on 931 Saturday afternoon , didn't realise it was it's last day or I'd have tried to get a better picture.

(photo of 931 with a McGill's vehicle in the background)

20221129_212310.jpg

I’m still not 100% sure it is. The repainting of 936 raises more questions than answers.
Maybe it will be a spare bus for East Coast Buses and Lothian Country whilst the others are being withdrawn? This could be a repaint cover bus for East Coast Buses for the moment as well then being a floating spare for both companies. Just a suggestion.

cammyeaston

Maybe it will be a spare bus for East Coast Buses and Lothian Country whilst the others are being withdrawn? This could be a repaint cover bus for East Coast Buses for the moment as well then being a floating spare for both companies. Just a suggestion.
All fine and well but seems a waste of money to completely repaint a bus just for it to be a paint float?

There must be a more long term future in mind for it in order for the accounts to justify repainting the vehicle.

All fine and well but seems a waste of money to completely repaint a bus just for it to be a paint float?

There must be a more long term future in mind for it in order for the accounts to justify repainting the vehicle.
That's a fair point, but maybe it will be a spare vehicle after being a paint float, e.g. 901 and Airlink, I know that's a poor comparison but if there is something which means a certain batch will be getting a mechanical thing etc, or something like that, it was just an example, the point is it will not only be a paint float and be a spare too.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
To be fair, Lothian has had situations were buses have been painted and didn't last more than a few months. In this scenario though, I don't think 935 and 936 will be gone anywhere until there are replacements available, as I still think both are required to meet peak vehicle requirements (with 928/9 being the two paint floats).

To be fair, Lothian has had situations were buses have been painted and didn't last more than a few months. In this scenario though, I don't think 935 and 936 will be gone anywhere until there are replacements available, as I still think both are required to meet peak vehicle requirements (with 928/9 being the two paint floats).
A valid example of that is of course 942, which had a repaint and didn't actually go into service before being repainted again, into the old East Coast Buses livery. I think 942 will be the last bus out of the Ex-Airlink Gemini 2 batch to be repainted into the East Coast Buses livery because of this.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Pretty sure it's the end of them all now, wonder if they'll all be disposed to Ensign or if they'll be directly sold to independents.
probably via ensign as usual

Lothian Country repaint & fleet changes progress (doesn't include 579-590):

571/5/6/7 - Away at Ferrymill Motors
574 - Moving to Livingston from Marine as we speak after paint, took a wrong turn and found itself in Old Town
572/3/8 - Out and about in service
1037/43/8/9 - Away at Bustec in Bellshill (1037) or Ferrymill motors (the rest)
1045 - Back out after repaint at Bustec in Bellshill, not yet spotted.
The rest are yet to be painted.
All of 171, 176-190 are at Newbridge now bar 183 which is at Longstone for an MOT.

what do bustec in Bellshill actually do?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Just gonna say, Summer 2019 Lothian Country was peak for me, I hope in a few years they can return to something like they had.

One can only hope, just wanted to share the optimism before someone else shuts it down and wishes the end of LCB forever! :lol:

(just kidding!) ;)