• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mb88

Is part time working with Lothian Buses a new thing?
Until fairly recently it was only really semi-retired drivers on part time hours, however at the height of the driver shortage they were advertising for part time positions. This has now ended I believe.

muffy

I believe they are still looking for part time drivers but only at 2 depots, Livingston being one of them but I can't remember the other depot involved.

zjsptgzxyspks

I don't understand why the 170-190 and 284-289 are mostly made reserve. The 7900s running long distance services like 46 and 48 would be a disaster.

Auld reekie

Until fairly recently it was only really semi-retired drivers on part time hours, however at the height of the driver shortage they were advertising for part time positions. This has now ended I believe.
Thanks for that.
Surprised they don’t continue with it.

Given the track record of 47/B's reliability, would the change of 41 work at all?
We'll find out soon enough. It's a bit worse than the arrangement for Granton because the 19 duplicates nearly all of the northern section of the present 47 route therefore few will complain about no-shows. In future the majority of former 41 passengers will still have the option of using the 43 but Cramond passengers will be reliant on the new 47 alone. There aren't vast number of these but they tend to be elderly and vocal.
But continuing with the 41 using George IV Bridge wasn't really viable, George St is closing soon and of course there's pressure to take buses off Princes St. With its 3 buses per hour frequency, the 47 seems quite a good choice for this. But time will tell.

zjsptgzxyspks

They should extend the Easter Bush 37s to Cammo from Silverknowes, and terminate the 47 in Cramond like the old 41s.

The 22 change giving the west side of the city connection to western general makes sense though

DunsBus

Established Member
If you’re suggesting using Lauriston Farm Road then that’s likely a non starter due to the restriction at the Barnton Gardens end.
Lauriston Farm Road was used by the old 80B during the nineties, and part of the old 24/29 route pre-deregulation. The restriction at the Barnton Gardens end is for lorries IIRC.

overthewater

Established Member
Lauriston Farm Road was used by the old 80B during the nineties, and part of the old 24/29 route pre-deregulation. The restriction at the Barnton Gardens end is for lorries IIRC.
If you’re suggesting using Lauriston Farm Road then that’s likely a non starter due to the restriction at the Barnton Gardens end.

It's also a rather busy junction so any chance of improved timekeeping isn't likely which is a shame.

DunsBus

Established Member
It's also a rather busy junction so any chance of improved timekeeping isn't likely which is a shame.
Here's the junction in question:

4 Lauriston Farm Rd

Whilst the restriction is for lorries the kerbs on Lauriston Farm Road where it meets Barnton Gardens have been built-out, with bollards installed on the west side of Barnton Gardens. I remember it being a tight squeeze exiting Lauriston Farm Road in a decker (no room for any error as otherwise you hit one of the bollards) and that was in a 10.3m Olympian. It would definitely be a no-go with a triaxle.

in any case, there is little demand for a bus service along Lauriston Farm Road which is why no buses have run along there since the early noughties.

Last edited:

Lothianbus703

41 Bus and Cramond/Gyle Link Bus​

9 May 2023
Lothian have announced a series of route changes, which will take effect from the end of May.

The 41 service is ending, but a new 47 service will run on the route of the current 41 between Cammo / Cramond / Davidson's Mains / Blackhall / Craigleith and then head on to the West End.

Also, Lothian has announced extra morning and evening services on the 43 to help with capacity levels at peak times.
You can read the full Lothian announcement here.

There has also been progress at last on a bus link between Cramond and the Gyle.
Local Lib Dem councillor Ed Thornley said, "We are delighted to be able to say that after years of work, Council officers have said they will tender for a new supported service running between Cramond and the Gyle.
"We hope this service will be up and running by the end of the year, though it's exact route and timings remain to be determined.
"We know many local people signed the Lib Dem team's petition years ago on this and have been keen to see the old 64 route restored. This is the first step, but hopefully this will get off the ground quickly. We'll do our best to keep folks updated."
It is understood that Lothian are interested in running this route, but the tender will be open to applications from other operators.

Last edited by a moderator:

overthewater

Established Member
If Lothian does not win this tender, its very likely the route will just fall apart just like last time. E&M got hold of the tender last time, anyone remember No64? They run it into the ground.

Gareth1980

If Lothian does not win this tender, its very likely the route will just fall apart just like last time. E&M got hold of the tender last time, anyone remember No64? They run it into the ground.

I would like to see Lothian pick back up the tenders to be honest. Think they would be far more reliable

Run the 20 every 30 Minutes Slateford Asda - Gyle - Crammond

Leave the 63 as is but running every 30 minutes

Extend the 12 to Ratho

Lothianbus703

I would like to see Lothian pick back up the tenders to be honest. Think they would be far more reliable

Run the 20 every 30 Minutes Slateford Asda - Gyle - Crammond

Leave the 63 as is but running every 30 minutes

Extend the 12 to Ratho
The 63's frequency could be increased but I think every 30 minutes would be too much, maybe every 45 or hourly could work.
The Balerno - Gyle section of the 63 is not as busy as the Gyle - Queensferry part but still get passengers.

roadierway77

41 Bus and Cramond/Gyle Link Bus​

It'll be interesting to see how this route takes shape - whether as a simple recreation of the former 64, or as an extension to the 47, or combined with another service such as one of the other council tenders - if Lothian win them, that is.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
MX22LFZ Sigma 10 (whatever that is) SD electric demonstrator is at Central.

paul47B

How about a bus doing Cramond, Cammo, East Craigs, Maybury, Gyle, Ingliston, Ratho, Wilkieston and out to Livingston. The 20 could do that.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
We have a separate thread for ideas and speculation about services. Please keep this one for discussing what's actually happening.

InOban

Established Member
They're going to need a bus lane on the approach to Maybury from Barnton. Last time I went there the queue stretched most of the way to the East Craig's roundabout.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
MX22LFZ Sigma 10 (whatever that is) SD electric demonstrator is at Central.
It appears to be a Mellor product.

The Mellor Sigma is a bus manufactured by Mellor Coachcraft since 2021. It is available in various lengths, from 6.99 – 11.97 metres, with the shortest being marketed as the Mellor Sigma 7 and the longest as the Mellor Sigma 12.
Logically this variant is the 10m version?

They're going to need a bus lane on the approach to Maybury from Barnton. Last time I went there the queue stretched most of the way to the East Craig's roundabout.
Yeah, that must be rather awkward for running the present day 31 service. Buses leave East Craigs on time then immediately become delayed in traffic congestion. Maybury Road has always been poor and I'm not convinced the traffic lights are much improvement over the old double roundabout.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Aye, can't think of a route it wouldn't be too small for to be honest! Maybe the evening service 12?
They’ll surely end up throwing it on the 1, just like the BZL has done for a while now? You’d have to think this was the largest variant available and that the 11m and 12m versions currently do not exist? At least that’s my logic anyway.

I’d hazard a guess that this has been taken on just for comparison purposes (it probably hasn’t cost much if anything either). I’d be shocked if an order of any kind came from it, similar to the incredibly unreliable Metrodecker.

pgfb1306

They’ll surely end up throwing it on the 1, just like the BZL has done for a while now? You’d have to think this was the largest variant available and that the 11m and 12m versions currently do not exist? At least that’s my logic anyway.

I’d hazard a guess that this has been taken on just for comparison purposes (it probably hasn’t cost much if anything either). I’d be shocked if an order of any kind came from it, similar to the incredibly unreliable Metrodecker.
There's 12m Sigmas on their way.... (but not to Lothian)

VioletEclipse

a few of the route colours on the tfe app have changed today, including the 14, 21 and 38. I don't understand why that was necessary but I assume there's a reason.