• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
a few of the route colours on the tfe app have changed today, including the 14, 21 and 38. I don't understand why that was necessary but I assume there's a reason.
On Apple products they changed them yesterday, but have now changed them all (in error) to the Pre-September 2022 network and as such former routes such as the 42 and 300 resurrected themselves on the app. This also includes changed routes such as the 16 only going to Colinton as well.

On Apple only some colours were changed. This includes the ones you’ve listed plus a few others, but a few weren’t changed such as the 22.

EDIT: Apple update has now corrected itself and is as it was yesterday.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cam22

a few of the route colours on the tfe app have changed today, including the 14, 21 and 38. I don't understand why that was necessary but I assume there's a reason.
Apparently bus stop flags have been changed as well ie the 41 has been changed already to 47. That might confuse a few looking for a 41 the next few days!

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Apparently bus stop flags have been changed as well ie the 41 has been changed already to 47. That might confuse a few looking for a 41 the next few days!
Confusingly on the 9’s route some flags have been changed but not all have and some stops have had timetables changed, but not all. I have yet to see any stops with both the new number and the new timetable added.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
On Apple products they changed them yesterday, but have now changed them all (in error) to the Pre-September 2022 network and as such former routes such as the 42 and 300 resurrected themselves on the app. This also includes changed routes such as the 16 only going to Colinton as well.

On Apple only some colours were changed. This includes the ones you’ve listed plus a few others, but a few weren’t changed such as the 22.

EDIT: Apple update has now corrected itself and is as it was yesterday.
These colour changes are a bit extreme and confusing, I was a bit thrown off seeing the 21 at my local stop on Gilmerton road this morning. There was no need to change the colour of the 29 from Orange to Lavender its all just unneeded. Theres been colour changes before but i dont think they’ve chnaged more than one or two at a time

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Theres been colour changes before but i dont think they’ve chnaged more than one or two at a time
The last time the colours changed en masse I think was when the Trams were launched back in 2014. The previous style map (the geographically accurate one) also had changes over the years. Using the 14 as an example I think it previously used cream but when they changed the route colours within the geographic map, the 14 was given a shade of pink and then got its current dark grey in 2014. That of course has now been changed in favour of a light grey.

I myself think it’s probably time for another full reset as in that time bits such as Skylink, East Lothian and West Lothian have been gradually added into the network and as a result of these latest changes as well some colours are probably too close to each other. The 37 and the Skylinks for example, and now the 14 and 44.

There’s obviously only so many colours to choose from but I do think they’re not being used in the best way. In my view the 8 and 9 should be having broadly similar colours instead of complete opposites. It’s bits like that that I feel they need redone.

Last edited:

stevenedin

Established Member
The last time the colours changed en masse I think was when the Trams were launched back in 2014. The previous style map (the geographically accurate one) also had changes over the years. Using the 14 as an example I think it previously used cream but when they changed the route colours within the geographic map, the 14 was given a shade of pink and then got its current dark grey in 2014. That of course has now been changed in favour of a light grey.

I myself think it’s probably time for another full reset as in that time bits such as Skylink, East Lothian and West Lothian have been gradually added into the network and as a result of these latest changes as well some colours are probably too close to each other. The 37 and the Skylinks for example, and now the 14 and 44.

There’s obviously only so many colours to choose from but I do think they’re not being used in the best way. In my view the 8 and 9 should be having broadly similar colours instead of complete opposites. It’s bits like that that I feel they need redone.
The 22 is becoming a brown colour after the changes if the new route maps are correct.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
When does the Network Map on the website usually get updated, just on the day of the change?

I do think they could do something creative with the new route colours, for example have all the high-frequency routes in bright colours and all the low-frequency ones in pastel?
That said, I'd rather they just kept the current colours.

stevenedin

Established Member
The 22 is becoming a brown colour after the changes if the new route maps are correct.
It’s actually purple not brown.

Full Network Map

computerSaysNo

Established Member
It’s actually purple not brown.
I don't like that new map at all. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. I think there's too many bold colours which are all competing for attention. At least with the old one some of the colours were dulled down a bit.

Edirim

I think the colours changed in apps due to the timetables for the service changes going in.
If you for example click on Dalkeith South Street and then Timetable you will see 46 and 48 but no 49.

stevenedin

Established Member
I don't like that new map at all. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. I think there's too many bold colours which are all competing for attention. At least with the old one some of the colours where dulled down a bit.
It’s not the best especially when all of the East Coast buses and Lothian Country routes are the same colour.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I think the colours changed in apps due to the timetables for the service changes going in.
The timetables were added in about 2 weeks ago, with the generic gold being used for any new routes until now. The termini were also listed as the area they’re in rather than what the bus will display. Yesterday they started to add in the bus display names replacing the areas but only the timetables are complete and the addition of the new numbers hasn’t yet happened and continue to show as gold. Other bits and pieces such as the 22 still being pink are still to be done.

stevenedin

Established Member
The following link opens a full quality image of the map, I've not added a preview due to the high quality but there already is one in your post. https://www.lothianbuses.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Network_Map_230528.jpg
Thanks for posting the link. The more I look at it, some isn’t too bad, for people complaining about losing the 49 from Old Dalkeith Road there is still the 7 and 33 to the city centre and from Danderhall there is still the 33.

I do understand people’s frustration from Rosewell as they previously had a service to Edinburgh city centre and now they only have the X31 which is very limited. I’m surprised that they haven’t extended the 31 that goes to Polton Mill to Rosewell maybe once an hour or something.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I’m surprised that they haven’t extended the 31 that goes to Polton Mill to Rosewell maybe once an hour or something.

Timekeeping is bad enough on the 31 as it is, that'd just make it more unreliable. It's the only good solution I can think of too but can't see it happening.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Anybody has an idea when the 11reg buses will be scrapped? Some of them are a bit run down
Maybe 10-15 years from now. Perfectly good buses that I suspect will be snapped up quickly when they are sold - which could well be within the next 2-3 years. Plenty of life left within them and they all should last a long while yet.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
28 seems to have been repainted
It was given a lower panel repaint late last year after an accident.

So far, 179/88 have moved to Marine as has 1005. 1142/3 are at Longstone now. 184 has arrived at Marine now as well so that leaves just 178 which is still at Central.

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Anybody has an idea when the 11reg buses will be scrapped? Some of them are a bit run down
Not even Lothian fleet managers know. They’ve still got a while before they’ll even be sold on and they’ll be sold on not scrapped due to the well kept condition of Lothian vehicles mechanically

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Not even Lothian fleet managers know. They’ve still got a while before they’ll even be sold on and they’ll be sold on not scrapped due to the well kept condition of Lothian vehicles mechanically
Does the gearbox of a vehicle have an effect on how hard the engine has to work (in an urban environment)? I feel like the native B9s (which all have a Voith gearbox) are much louder than the ex-London's (which are all ZF(?)).

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Does the gearbox of a vehicle have an effect on how hard the engine has to work (in an urban environment)? I feel like the native B9s (which all have a Voith gearbox) are much louder than the ex-London's (which are all ZF(?)).
In an urban environment no. Voiths sound louder but thats just the noise they make, voith boxes aren’t really audible until they get into 3rd gear

computerSaysNo

Established Member
The new Network Map is now online and can be accessed here: https://www.lothianbuses.com/maps-and-times/network-maps/

I've typed a summary of non-route changes, because I can.
RouteOld colourNew colourNew HEXText
1Light blue-#98C8EDDark
2Green-#4DA32FDark
3Yellow-ishYellow#DECE00Dark
4BlueLight purple#D7B5CEDark
5Light orange-#F9B233Dark
7PinkLight pink#F49F95Dark
8Green-#117032Dark
9-Red-brown#BC8B89Dark
10BrownDark purple#6A2655Light
11Red-#B11A23Light
12Light greenPale green#9CC872Dark
14Light grey-#A69DADDark
15Dark greyDark brown#794E34Light
16Pale Brown-#AE9A64Dark
19Brown-#C57F00Dark
21Light purpleLight brown#D7B27BDark
22Bright pinkDark purple#7C3F61Light
23Dark blue-#27348BLight
24Bright pinkLight pink#E7657FDark
25Purple-#951B81Light
26Bright red-#E30613Light
27Dark orange-#ED6F30Dark
29RedLight purple#AC8ABFDark
30BrownLight brown#CA8C16Dark
31Grey-brown-#7B6A58Light
33Dark red-#901426Light
34Dark blue-#2B2171Light
35Red-#BA313DLight
36Light greenDark turquoise#327775Light
37Dark blue-#355FAALight
38Dark yellowLight turquoise#9AB9AFDark
41Dark red--
44Grey-#9D9D9CDark
45Turquoise-#51B8BBDark
46-Green#93AF24Dark
47Pale blue-#7B9CC0Dark
48GreenDark grey-purple#52516ELight
49Blue-#16A0BBDark

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I've typed a summary of non-route changes, because I can.
The 14 has changed from a dark grey to a light grey. I’m not sure if the 3 or 24 have changed, if they have it must be very minimal. I believe 11 has changed slightly too. I’d also say the 21 is more beige than anything. A nice addition I think is the 46 reusing the former 42’s colour.

paul47B

We have a separate thread for ideas and speculation about services. Please keep this one for discussing what's actually happening.

Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know.

I see that the 4 wont be going to Queen Margaret University for now as the slip road is to have a safety check

Last edited: