• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

roadierway77

I've only just noticed that the 25 is not returning to a 10 minute frequency on the 10th September. This service really needs this frequency during uni term time. There's also only one additional service towards the campus before 9am compared to the current timetable, meaning an overall reduction of three services to the campus between 8am and 9am (9 services before June timetable change, 6 services after September change). Considering how busy the 25 was at this time last semester (full and standing) I'm not looking forward to doing this commute. At least there's a roughly 10 minute frequency heading into the city between 4pm and 5pm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nathanchansc

I've only just noticed that the 25 is not returning to a 10 minute frequency on the 10th September. This service really needs this frequency during uni term time. There's also only one additional service towards the campus before 9am compared to the current timetable, meaning an overall reduction of three services to the campus between 8am and 9am (9 services before June timetable change, 6 services after September change). Considering how busy the 25 was at this time last semester (full and standing) I'm not looking forward to doing this commute. At least there's a roughly 10 minute frequency heading into the city between 4pm and 5pm.
I've noticed the same, and there are some services only going to Haymarket from Heriot-Watt in the afternoon, so the services to the city centre/Leith seems to be even less frequent than before. The 25 really needs a 10-minute frequency service given how busy it is, or bring back the X25 at least.

Similar for the 26, it might be just the festival making it worse but the current service is just not enough, especially when the 31 is not very consistent either. It can pick p a full load easily on Princes Street eastbound and westbound especially in the evening when it is reduced to every 15 minutes. It picked up 35+ passengers at Portobello Town Hall at 9pm last night. It deserves a 10-min service full day. Or even 7/8-min like it used to be during day time.

Lothianbus703

What company ran the "Tesco 57" bus that is covered on a few bus stops near Craiglockhart and Bonaly?
I do not know if Lothian ran this or another company there is very little information online.
image.png
imagine of a covered up tesco 57.

Darklord8899

Agreed that the frequency of some services need increased, but of course, that also means there needs to be an increase in drivers, which I'm pretty sure Lothian (or other operators) just don't have.

Also, until the council decide to seriously tackle bus priority measures and sort out the utter shambles of Edinburgh streets, buses are going to continue to bunch up and run 2, 3 or even 4 at time, with 20, 30, 40 (or more) minute gaps between them.

It is just a losing battle every way.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I've only just noticed that the 25 is not returning to a 10 minute frequency on the 10th September. This service really needs this frequency during uni term time. There's also only one additional service towards the campus before 9am compared to the current timetable
Bear in mind that there are more buses between the City Centre and Heriot Watt which aren't properly shown in the timetable. Instead it says 'a frequent service' so you can't tell when these are actually running. I know one of these comes off the second X29 arriving at Heriot-Watt for 8:51 - I am sure there will be a few more that will become clear once the timetables are put up on TravelLine and bustimes.org.

Auld reekie

Agreed that the frequency of some services need increased, but of course, that also means there needs to be an increase in drivers, which I'm pretty sure Lothian (or other operators) just don't have.

Also, until the council decide to seriously tackle bus priority measures and sort out the utter shambles of Edinburgh streets, buses are going to continue to bunch up and run 2, 3 or even 4 at time, with 20, 30, 40 (or more) minute gaps between them.

It is just a losing battle every way.
I can only comment on the 44.
Constantly running in 2's even at the weekends.
Can't always blame road works.
Very frustrating.

Lothianbus703

I can only comment on the 44.
Constantly running in 2's even at the weekends.
Can't always blame road works.
Very frustrating.
The 44 is a route I think would benefit from being cut into sections/in half as it would mean buses would have a shorter journeys before going the opposite direction instead of having to go all the way from Balerno to Wallyford, this would improve the timekeeping of the route but might affect anyone who crosses through the city centre on the route regularly.

Edirim

There are multiple additional services towards the campus as follows according to travelline
08:10 and 08:22, 08:32, 08:37, 08:53 from Shandwick Stop SF
08:10 from Foot of the Walk
09:20 from Haymarket HG

Auld reekie

The 44 is a route I think would benefit from being cut into sections/in half as it would mean buses would have a shorter journeys before going the opposite direction instead of having to go all the way from Balerno to Wallyford, this would improve the timekeeping of the route but might affect anyone who crosses through the city centre on the route regularly.
I think that idea would be quite successful.

What company ran the "Tesco 57" bus that is covered on a few bus stops near Craiglockhart and Bonaly?
I do not know if Lothian ran this or another company there is very little information online.
image.png
imagine of a covered up tesco 57.
I don't know for sure but going back a very long time - probably around the 1980s - LRT ran a few services to Tesco at Dumbryden. The route up to the Balerno area was 55 if I recall correctly, so it's possible this 57 ran to Craiglockhart & Bonaly. While the 55 number was displayed on flags I think it was listed under Lothian rather than Tesco at that time, but fares were free so a bit different to a normal service. Of course in more recent times there could have been buses to the new store in Colinton Mains by way of compensation to the affected community.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
On the Save Our Buses (West Lothian) Facebook page, there's a post (I think cross posted from a councillors page) stating that Lothian Country have been awarded a new 72 service to replace the McGill's 600 service.

Screenshot attached stating it'll run hourly between 0600-2200.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1692131747218.jpg
    FB_IMG_1692131747218.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 103

Bus9120UK

Established Member
On the Save Our Buses (West Lothian) Facebook page, there's a post (I think cross posted from a councillors page) stating that Lothian Country have been awarded a new 72 service to replace the McGill's 600 service.

It will start 15th October according to the Councillor's public Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/angela.dor...ihydpy3gmR6BcAkUGEa3hZovAtGLeDQxUGZSbhtQav2yl
Delighted that Winchburgh bus service has been reinstated, I have worked tirelessly with officers to achieve this positive outcome.
Massive thank you to West Lothian Council Transport Officers for all their hard work
This service will commence on 15th October 2023.

scosutsut

It will start 15th October according to the Councillor's public Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/angela.dor...ihydpy3gmR6BcAkUGEa3hZovAtGLeDQxUGZSbhtQav2yl

The ex Lothian/Motorcoach/LCB/ECB B9 / Geminis moved over will be put to use then!

On a side note, are ECB repaints still ongoing? Still Gemini 2s in old colours lingering around, I want to celebrate the death of that horrible livery when it's finally gone!

Bus9120UK

Established Member
On a side note, are ECB repaints still ongoing? Still Gemini 2s in old colours lingering around, I want to celebrate the death of that horrible livery when it's finally gone!
939 was moved to Musselburgh this evening having been repainted and is now ready for service while 937 is now at Seafield for repaint preparation. This leaves 942, 944-945 and 948 left in service in the older colour scheme and it won't be long till they're painted so not long left! 195-198 still have it in the original East Coast Buses livery but of course are in long term reserve.

scosutsut

939 was moved to Marine this morning having been repainted and is now ready for service while 937 is now at Seafield for repaint preparation. This leaves 942, 944-945 and 948 left in service in the older colour scheme. 195-198 still have it in the original East Coast Buses livery but of course are in long term reserve.
Magic, thanks. I'll prepare my dance :lol:

I would've loved for it to be the 272, that has really annoyed me. The only positives for this are Lothian Country are expanding again and the customers get a new service.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I would've loved for it to be the 272, that has really annoyed me. The only positives for this are Lothian Country are expanding again and the customers get a new service.

I'm led to believe there's more to come, but this is the first official confirmation of one of the "rumours" i've heard... hoping for more good news to come.

I'm led to believe there's more to come, but this is the first official confirmation of one of the "rumours" i've heard... hoping for more good news to come.
I believe Lothian Country could pick up another tendered route, 841-846 are surely have more business in Livingston. Also I spotted 850 in Musselburgh today, I am unsure if it is back at Musselburgh Depot But I saw it just before turning in and I was behind it too at about 21:15, I have a bad photo, it is so bad I'd be embarrassed to send it, if you would like it then message me privately and I'll be sure to show you it.

I believe Lothian Country could pick up another tendered route, 841-846 are surely have more business in Livingston. Also I spotted 850 in Musselburgh today, I am unsure if it is back at Musselburgh Depot But I saw it just before turning in and I was behind it too at about 21:15, I have a bad photo, it is so bad I'd be embarrassed to send it, if you would like it then message me privately and I'll be sure to show you it.
Those Ex Motorcoach Geminis are still in pristine condition. Lothian will get years more service out of those yet, and they're Euro 6 too which is a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Those Ex Motorcoach Geminis are still in pristine condition. Lothian will get years more service out of those yet, and they're Euro 6 too which is a bonus.

The remaining 09 plate B9TLs are also Euro 6, seems a shame for them to be sitting idle while the festival is going on.

Of course they are! If even more go to Livingston then it is almost guaranteed that there will be more good news but the fact that they've already transferred 6 does suggest something else is happening.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
939 was moved to Musselburgh this evening having been repainted and is now ready for service
Its gained an advert for new drivers on its lower deck rear window. Likewise 1046 has an advert for drivers for LC in its rear advert frame. This would certainly corroborate the other posts here to do with a Lothian Country expansion

buslad1988

Its gained an advert for new drivers on its lower deck rear window. Likewise 1046 has an advert for drivers for LC in its rear advert frame. This would certainly corroborate the other posts here to do with a Lothian Country expansion
Don’t forget the Lothian “family” in general are still suffering driver shortages across the board - so new adverts appearing doesn’t necessarily mean expansion.

Unless i've misunderstood, looks like Lothian Country and East Coast Buses will be raising their wages up to £15.55 per hour in April 2024 - https://twitter.com/LothianCountry/status/1690045801278451714 https://twitter.com/EastCoastBuses/status/1690045812984754193
And a two-year pay deal was agreed on this year; so all drivers will know what their increases will be from April 2024. So that’s not just a Country/East Coast thing.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
1150 has the same vinyl on the window for Lothian.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Don’t forget the Lothian “family” in general are still suffering driver shortages across the board - so new adverts appearing doesn’t necessarily mean expansion.

And a two-year pay deal was agreed on this year; so all drivers will know what their increases will be from April 2024. So that’s not just a Country/East Coast thing.

One year for Lothian drivers.

Out of curiosity what were the other rumours you heard?

X40 has been awarded to Lothian Country was one of them, which is confirmed now.

Last edited: