• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

stevenedin

Established Member
When I tried the service, it did pick up passengers around Wester hailes. It will take a while for everyone to know about it.
What I noticed at the stops is that the Council (or Lothian) have just put Lothian Country on the flags but no service number X40 when all of the other service numbers are on there so it’s not obvious unless people look at the timetables or see the bus there or see it on the tracker.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

muffy

When I tried the service, it did pick up passengers around Wester hailes. It will take a while for everyone to know about it.
The other X27 user at my work is aware of it already and is aware it's better at keeping time heading west in the evening peak. Also when I went from East Calder Tesco to Livingston Centre last weekend, it went non-stop through lack of users yet picked up 7 of us at Tesco's, once folk are aware it's straight from Lizzy Brice Roundabout to Livingston Centre it will see an increase in usage certainly during the week in my opinion.
Going to take my transportation mad toddler to the Royal Infirmary on it the next chance I get on a day off.

bobdoe

What I noticed at the stops is that the Council (or Lothian) have just put Lothian Country on the flags but no service number X40 when all of the other service numbers are on there so it’s not obvious unless people look at the timetables or see the bus there or see it on the tracker.
Especially with the X40 they should put up posters about the service in the bus shelters.

oldman

The bus stop screens in Morningside Road are showing the correct destinations now. Swanston no more.

stevenedin

Established Member
The one at St John’s Hospital that I saw yesterday is all wrong. It has routes saying Edinburgh as the destination when they don’t even go to Edinburgh.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
I had typed a better post but it's now deleted itself.
Has vehicle 183 moved to East Coast? It's currently tracking on the X7.
But the move from Lothian to East Coast isn't coming up on the History page on bustimes?

What if 466-495 were electrified like everyone is suggesting for the tour buses? If that’s possible, then perhaps they could get new branding, like “Get to the zoo without any emissions!”
That will not happen for ages, the tour buses are being completed first with 18 tour buses confirmed to be converted into electric, that will be priority for the moment, and is it just me or "Get to the zoo without any emissions" feels a bit cliche?

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The above linked article says Lothian has 30 open toppers, this isn't right surely?
Technically more. 221-250 are the Gemini 3 B5TL open toppers the article refers to, but they also have two open top Trident vehicles 219 and 220 (unless something has since changed and these have departed the fleet?) and an open top Routemaster or two.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Technically more. 221-250 are the Gemini 3 B5TL open toppers the article refers to and they also have two open top Trident vehicles 219 and 220 (unless something has since changed and these have departed the fleet?) and an open top Routemaster or two.

The Tridents are still with the company.

Technically more. 221-250 are the Gemini 3 B5TL open toppers the article refers to, but they also have two open top Trident vehicles 219 and 220 (unless something has since changed and these have departed the fleet?) and an open top Routemaster or two.
220 is still at the back of Marine. 219 has likely went elsewhere (I would assume Newbridge or Seafield?) I would be able to find out rather easily if this is the case or not, though.

Lothianbus703

Do 905/906, the last two remaining B9TL Gemini 1's with the blue interior run alongside 232/233 (the 3 Bridges Tour open top B5TLs) on the 3BT or did 905 only return whilst the Gemini 3s were off the road?

Last edited by a moderator:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Do 905/906, the last two remaining B9TL Gemini 1's with the blue interior run alongside 232/233 (the 3BT open top b5tl's) on the 3BT or did 905 only return whilst the G3's were off the road?

905 only made a handful of appearances during the summer season, presumably just covering or providing an extra bus on any busy trips.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
905 only made a handful of appearances during the summer season, presumably just covering or providing an extra bus on any busy trips.
Given 233 being the only one in use for the majority of the time with 232 being away, and 249/50 regularly also needing use on the other tours, 905 was indeed just covering.

stevenedin

Established Member
847 finally at Livingston. Out on the X40
It’s been there nearly a week now. I saw it last week when I was through.

It’s nice to see all of these move here but the seats are so uncomfortable above the back wheel arch downstairs and the cushion on the seats at the back are so hard that they don’t feel like they are supporting your back properly.

bobdoe

South end of Bankhead Roundabout is closed, it can’t turn onto Wester Hailes Road
I'm not suggesting it goes down Wester Hailes Road. Running on Calder Road eastbound to Saughton Roundabout then Murrayburn Road is much quicker than going on the slip road, past Edinburgh Park and back down Broomhouse Road to Calder Road (Saughton).

buslad1988

I'm not suggesting it goes down Wester Hailes Road. Running on Calder Road eastbound to Saughton Roundabout then Murrayburn Road is much quicker than going on the slip road, past Edinburgh Park and back down Broomhouse Road to Calder Road (Saughton).
I’m sure Lothian will have ensured they are using the most sufficient routing and will have reasoning behind it.