• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Malaysian Airlines MH017 lost near Ukraine / Russia border

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrymarkb

Established Member
A Malaysian airliner reportedly with 295 people on board has crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border, on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia Airlines said it had lost contact with Flight MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukraine, it said in a tweet.

An aviation source in Moscow told Reuters the plane had been found burning on the ground in east Ukraine.

It had failed to enter Russian airspace, the source said.

The UK Foreign Office said it was aware of the reports of the crash and was "urgently working to establish what has happened"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28354856

Given recent events in the area I have to wonder if it may have been shot down accidentally.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Mod Note - Split from this thread.

Beeb said:
Malaysia airliner crashes in east Ukraine near Russia border

A Malaysian airliner reportedly with 295 people on board has crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border, on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia Airlines said it had lost contact with Flight MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukraine, it said in a tweet.

An aviation source in Moscow told Reuters the plane had been found burning on the ground in east Ukraine.

Separatist rebels have been fighting government forces in the region.

Current reports is a rebel force with a Buk launcher has shot down a Boeing 777. For those that don't know a Buk launcher is a very advanced radar guided ground-to-air missile. So if thats true well done Russia...

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Current reports is a rebel force with a Buk launcher has shot down a Boeing 777. For those that don't know a Buk launcher is a very advanced radar guided ground-to-air missile. So if thats true well done Russia...

I can well imagine how badly this news will be received in Malaysia.

Whilst this is said to be the result of a missile strike, I will never forget in 1983 incident of the Korean Air Lines flight 007, which was shot down by a fighter plane.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Exactly echoing my thoughts Paul.

That's utterly disgraceful, shooting down an innocent passenger plane that has had no involvement recent events. I could perhaps understand a bit more if it was a Ukranian envoy; they clearly have no contempt (whomever caused it).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Whilst this is said to be the result of a missile strike, I will never forget in 1983 incident of the Korean Air Lines flight 007, which was shot down by a fighter plane.

The crew of KAL007 had a lot to answer for in that incident. It is still too early to say what had happened to MH017. Thoughts to all caught up in it.

Edit: I have split this from the main discussion of the Ukrainian conflicts as I gauge this would develop into its own conversation.

CC 72100

Established Member

And the Iran Air Airbus which was shot down by accident by the USS Vincennes warship too. Can't remember exact date/more details.

user15681

Established Member
Last known position was over Snizhne, in eastern Ukraine, 50km east of Donetsk at 33,000 feet.

So very sad, 295 deaths.

starrymarkb

Established Member
And the Iran Air Airbus which was shot down by accident by the USS Vincennes warship too. Can't remember exact date/more details.

And the Tu154 (IIRC) in 2001 in the same region

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Current reports is a rebel force with a Buk launcher has shot down a Boeing 777.

I can't think of many 'rebels' that would a) have access to something as sophisticated as a Buk and b) would be able to use/maintain one even if they did. It's one thing to make use of a Strela 2, Igla or even a Stinger man-portable system for instance as the Mujahideen did during the Soviet war in Afghanistan but a Buk is a completely different kettle of fish.

If true this would have the finger prints of regular forces all over it...

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I caught briefly on the radio that the rebel leader had issued a statement along the lines of they were aming to target a Ukrainian transporter. If this is true, it could be they thought they were aiming at their target, but the missile went past it to the 777.

Speculations… speculations…

Darandio

Established Member

There are also reports that it was the Ukrainian Air Force that have brought it down. So if thats true well done Ukraine...

As we should know, all of these reports are bollocks until we know exactly what has happened.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Thoughts with all involved. Let's wait until we know more facts before apportioning blame.

What we must remember is that it is about 1am in Kuala Lumpur. A lot of people are going to be waking up soon expecting to head to the airport to meet their loved ones.

A lot of focus on what caused the crash, and little has actually been mentioned about those on board.

It's distressing to think about.

Haydn1971

Established Member
I'm a little surprised that commercial flights are being allowed by their insurance to actually fly over such a volatile airspace !

Established Member
I'm in Kuala Lumpur next week, two Malaysian flights lost in a relatively short space of time.. Getting nervous as I don't do flying that well.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
What we must remember is that it is about 1am in Kuala Lumpur. A lot of people are going to be waking up soon expecting to head to the airport to meet their loved ones.

A lot of focus on what caused the crash, and little has actually been mentioned about those on board.

It's distressing to think about.
It is. My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased... it's a horrible thing, I can only imagine waking up to hear this news...

Strathclyder

Established Member
Truly horrible. My thoughts are with the victims and their families and friends. Must be horrifying getting this kind of news.

R.I.P

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Russia and Ukraine are now both denying responsibility. At 33000ft it will take a sophisticated weapon they are saying rebels wont have access to an appropriate missile.

muz379

Established Member
Sad news , thoughts go out to the family and loved ones of the passengers and crew

if it was shot down which is the assumption everybody is running with there is a lot of questions to be asked of either Ukraine or Russia depending on whose weapons have been used to do this .

If there are any American citizens on board there is going to be some tense diplomats right now

Monty

Established Member
Russia and Ukraine are now both denying responsibility. At 33000ft it will take a sophisticated weapon they are saying rebels wont have access to an appropriate missile.

There are several photos of rebels posing with captured Ukrainian Buk launchers, however as someone has already stated its an advanced piece of kit and well above something your average rebel could operate unless they have been trained..

muz379

Established Member
There are several photos of rebels posing with captured Ukrainian Buk launchers, however as someone has already stated its an advanced piece of kit and well above something your average rebel could operate unless they have been trained..
Merely speculation but

Some rebels on either sides will be defectors from the military . All rebel forces have elements with military experience so perhaps that's how rebel forces on one side have come to operate a piece of kit like this .

That being said would Pro Ukraine rebels dare shoot down a Russian plane knowing the use of force that would illicit from Russia .

starrymarkb

Established Member
I wonder if some of the rebels have worked out how to fire a buk, but not identify the target properly

Jonny

Established Member

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Again, we still don't actually know yet whether (a) a missile was fired, or (b) that missile struck the aircraft.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Merely speculation but

Some rebels on either sides will be defectors from the military . All rebel forces have elements with military experience so perhaps that's how rebel forces on one side have come to operate a piece of kit like this .

That being said would Pro Ukraine rebels dare shoot down a Russian plane knowing the use of force that would illicit from Russia .

Many of the rebels are former military ( and may have help from active Russian servicemen too...) don't forget they have already downed many Ukrainian planes already.

The RT links blaming Ukraine are their usual crud. No reason for the Ukraine to be manning SAMs unless Russian planes were intruding as the rebels have no airpower and certainly no transports.

I would wager an accidental shoot down by rebels perhaps unaware that airliners were still overflying the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.