• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink (Non speculative discussion)

plugwash

Established Member
I believe the passive provision for the tram stop is on the west side of the Interchange building, in the location currently occupied by bus stand S on Swaine Street.
I can't see how you can cram a metrolink terminus in there and retain the access route into the bus station without taking land on the other side of what is currently swaine Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Northerngirl

It's for travel between the outer South Manchester boroughs without going through the city centre.
There's a lot of attractions/major traffic sources on the west side of Manchester that are easily accessed from the M60 and roads coming off it (Trafford Centre/both Old Trafford football and cricket stadiums/Salford Quays).

On the other hand, the shopping centre and entertainment + govt services in Stockport town centre are the closest hub for the large populations around Didsbury/Wythenshawe etc.

The M60 struggles with congestion every day and the buses are terminally slow - the new cheaper Bee Network Bus and Tram ticket is an improvement to incentivise people to use public transport to make the journey, but it isn't perfect.
Any serious improvement in travel time would mean an express bus on the M60, and even then the stops at each junction would be distant from most of the residential areas (unlike the tram - which goes right through Didsbury, Withington, Chorlton, Trafford etc).
Thanks for the explanation, shows how little I know about the area

daodao

Established Member
It's for travel between the outer South Manchester boroughs without going through the city centre.
Inter-suburban traffic is generally too thin and scattered, without any major traffic destinations, to warrant new rail lines, even light rail ones. New Metrolink lines are only justified if they provide additional suburbs and satellite towns within Greater Manchester with a direct rail link to Manchester city centre.

Even if the East Didsbury line is extended to Stockport, the quickest way to travel from Stockport to key destinations beyond Cornbrook (such as the Trafford Centre, Media City and the Old Trafford cricket and football grounds) will be to take a heavy rail service to Piccadilly (or ideally Deansgate) and change to Metrolink there. In my opinion, extending the East Didsbury line to Stockport, which is not straightforward as the previous alignment to Tiviot Dale has been destroyed, will have a poor business case and is being promoted primarily for political reasons.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Thanks for the explanation, shows how little I know about the area
It's OK, defo worth a visit to see the gap IRL too!
Inter-suburban traffic is generally too thin and scattered, without any major traffic destinations, to warrant new rail lines, even light rail ones. New Metrolink lines are only justified if they provide additional suburbs and satellite towns within Greater Manchester with a direct rail link to Manchester city centre.

Even if the East Didsbury line is extended to Stockport, the quickest way to travel from Stockport to key destinations beyond Cornbrook (such as the Trafford Centre, Media City and the Old Trafford cricket and football grounds) will be to take a heavy rail service to Piccadilly (or ideally Deansgate) and change to Metrolink there. In my opinion, extending the East Didsbury line to Stockport, which is not straightforward as the previous alignment to Tiviot Dale has been destroyed, will have a poor business case and is being promoted primarily for political reasons.
That's your opinion - given the hassle and abysmal reliability of changing between rail and tram anywhere on the Castlefield corridor means people will just choose the M60 the vast majority of the time, and that's only going to get worse as population grows on the fringes of GM less accessible by public transport.

The extension would make it much more viable to make that journey regularly and also start the GM loop that is dearly needed (next step Ashton to Stockport tram trains).

TheSmiths82

I live in a south Manchester suburb and work in at a place around 2 miles from Stockport town centre. I have to drive because getting there by bus involves a bus that takes nearly an hour, and then the 192. It takes 90 minutes to get to work on the bus compared to around 40 minutes driving (it can be 30 minutes if the traffic is light). If the Metrolink went to Stockport it would almost make it viable for me to give up my car which I mostly use just to get to work and back anyway.

I have seen a few comments about the line not being viable because of good public transport in the area. The bus is frankly while fairly frequent is far too slow and unreliable. My bus to Stockport is every 20 minutes and it is very common for them to bunch up meaning at times the 20 minute interval becomes 40 minutes. While the tram is not perfect, it is in my experience far more reliable.

Winthorpe

I live in a south Manchester suburb and work in at a place around 2 miles from Stockport town centre. I have to drive because getting there by bus involves a bus that takes nearly an hour, and then the 192. It takes 90 minutes to get to work on the bus compared to around 40 minutes driving (it can be 30 minutes if the traffic is light). If the Metrolink went to Stockport it would almost make it viable for me to give up my car which I mostly use just to get to work and back anyway.

I have seen a few comments about the line not being viable because of good public transport in the area. The bus is frankly while fairly frequent is far too slow and unreliable. My bus to Stockport is every 20 minutes and it is very common for them to bunch up meaning at times the 20 minute interval becomes 40 minutes. While the tram is not perfect, it is in my experience far more reliable.

Indeed. As has already been said in other threads, a big benefit will be quicker access to Stockport rail station to connect to rail heading south. For South Manc residents, travelling by bus or car to Stockport station is quicker than travelling to Piccadilly. With Metrolink it will be even easier and quicker.

Greybeard33

Established Member

The Metrolink Rochdale to Oldham line is well patronised even though heavy rail is much quicker between between Rochdale and central Manchester. Similarly East Didsbury Metrolink stop is well used even though the adjacent heavy rail station offers quicker journeys to much of Manchester.

Many people value the "turn up and go" frequency and simple connectivity of Metrolink, versus the complex timetables and large, multi-platform stations of heavy rail.

daodao

Established Member
big benefit will be quicker access to Stockport rail station to connect to rail heading south.
If the line just goes to Stockport bus station in the Mersey Valley, it won't be particularly useful to connect with heavy rail at Edgeley station, because it is a very steep climb with many steps between the bus and heavy rail stations.

There are other places which are more deserving of a Metrolink connection.

also start the GM loop that is dearly needed
What is the evidence that this "loop" is "clearly" needed and how strong is the business case?

Last edited:

Winthorpe

If the line just goes to Stockport bus station in the Mersey Valley, it won't be particularly useful to connect with heavy rail at Edgeley station, because it is a very steep climb with many steps between the bus and heavy rail stations.

I take your point, but I and many others do connect from the bus station now. From the 23 or 25 bus.

Going to the Piccadilly, from South Manchester also involves either a slow change of trams (or bus) or a tram then walk from St. Peter's Square / Deansgate.

daodao

Established Member
I take your point, but I and many others do connect from the bus station now. From the 23 or 25 bus.

Going to the Piccadilly, from South Manchester also involves either a slow change of trams (or bus) or a tram then walk from St. Peter's Square / Deansgate.
I used to do so too, usually using the 316 (previously 16) bus when returning to the family home in Chorlton-cum-Hardy in the period 1976-1984. At least it was a walk downhill from Edgeley station to Mersey Square; my father usually gave me a lift back to Stockport or Wilmslow for the return journey. I presume that you are referring to St Peter's Square in central Manchester, as this bus also ran via St. Peter's Square in Stockport.

Of course the most convenient and pleasantest way to go to London from South Manchester before 1967 was by direct restaurant car express from Didsbury to St Pancras, which I did once in 1964 as a child on my first trip to London.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Evidently you have not visited Stockport since the new Interchange opened. From Viaduct Park, atop the Interchange, there is a new, gently graded walk and cycle path up to the railway station. No steps or road crossings. There is the choice of lift or staircase to get from the bus station level to the park.

Furthermore, one of the options under consideration for a Metrolink tram-train route to East Didsbury would go up the hill from the Interchange, with a stop adjacent to the railway station, to join the Edgeley to Northenden rail line, then via a new curve on to Hazel Grove to Northenden freight line (former MML) through Cheadle Heath before crossing the M60 and Mersey and following the disused alignment from Heaton Mersey to East Didsbury.

daodao

Established Member
Furthermore, one of the options under consideration for a Metrolink tram-train route to East Didsbury would go up the hill from the Interchange, with a stop adjacent to the railway station, to join the Edgeley to Northenden rail line, then via a new curve on to Hazel Grove to Northenden freight line (former MML) through Cheadle Heath before crossing the M60 and Mersey and following the disused alignment from Heaton Mersey to East Didsbury.
Has this route been thoroughly investigated or is it merely a crayon on a map? It is roundabout, could involve significant street-running, would be subject to capacity constraints on the Edgeley-Northenden line, requires a big new bridge over the River Mersey (the old one on the Midland main line was removed many years ago) and follows an obliterated non-existing alignment through the former Heaton Mersey station.

Winthorpe

I used to do so too, usually using the 316 (previously 16) bus when returning to the family home in Chorlton-cum-Hardy in the period 1976-1984. At least it was a walk downhill from Edgeley station to Mersey Square; my father usually gave me a lift back to Stockport or Wilmslow for the return journey. I presume that you are referring to St Peter's Square in central Manchester, as this bus also ran via St. Peter's Square in Stockport.

Yes, sorry, I meant St Peter's Square tram stop in central Manchester. If I need to take the rail south, I would either take the 23/25 to Stockport then walk to Edgeley station. Or take the Metrolink to St Peter's Square Metrolink stop then walk to Piccadilly station.

Exact choice depends on the time of day, etc. The traffic on the 23/25 route can be very bad during rush hour / school run. This is why I think the Metro extension would be helpful.

Of course the most convenient and pleasantest way to go to London from South Manchester before 1967 was by direct restaurant car express from Didsbury to St Pancras, which I did once in 1964 as a child on my first trip to London.

Now you are talking! That would have been very enjoyable

Greybeard33

Established Member
Has this route been thoroughly investigated or is it merely a crayon on a map? It is roundabout, could involve significant street-running, would be subject to capacity constraints on the Edgeley-Northenden line, requires a big new bridge over the River Mersey (the old one on the Midland main line was removed many years ago) and follows an obliterated non-existing alignment through the former Heaton Mersey station.
The details of the route are not in the public domain, but from snippets that have dripped out in Stockport Masterplans and GMCA committee meetings it is clear that there has been substantial work behind the scenes. For example, Network Rail is renewing the life expired Stockholm Road bridge over the Northenden line in Edgeley, and TfGM is providing CRSTS funding for NR to change the design of the replacement bridge to allow room for an additional tram-train track.

Even if an alternative route along the Mersey valley is chosen for a Stockport to East Didsbury Metrolink line, the Edgeley route could still be required for a possible future Stockport to Airport tram-train line as per the TfGM 2040 Strategy.

The tramway through Heaton Mersey would not slavishly follow the former heavy rail alignment, where that has been obliterated.

Grimsby town

I've done journey time accessibility modelling on the Stockport Metrolink as part of a study. The Metrolink line will definitely be quicker to Trafford Bar and is pretty similar to rail and tram via Cornbrook.

The real game changer is the price. Currently Stockport to Media City at peak times is £4.30 for the tram and £7.70 for rail. So a total of £12. A direct tram would cost £4.70. Even if rail is fully intergrated into the Bee Network, it would still £7.10 to go via the city centre and it'd likely limit the number of trains frequency to around every 15 minutes.

The details of the route are not in the public domain, but from snippets that have dripped out in Stockport Masterplans and GMCA committee meetings it is clear that there has been substantial work behind the scenes. For example, Network Rail is renewing the life expired Stockholm Road bridge over the Northenden line in Edgeley, and TfGM is providing CRSTS funding for NR to change the design of the replacement bridge to allow room for an additional tram-train track.

Even if an alternative route along the Mersey valley is chosen for a Stockport to East Didsbury Metrolink line, the Edgeley route could still be required for a possible future Stockport to Airport tram-train line as per the TfGM 2040 Strategy.

The tramway through Heaton Mersey would not slavishly follow the former heavy rail alignment, where that has been obliterated.
Greek Street bridge over the main line just south of Edgeley station (built when the tunnels were opened out for electrification) will also have to replaced at some point - it has concrete cancer. NR's plans include passive provision for widening to incorporate Metrolink tracks.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Greek Street bridge over the main line just south of Edgeley station (built when the tunnels were opened out for electrification) will also have to replaced at some point - it has concrete cancer. NR's plans include passive provision for widening to incorporate Metrolink tracks.
Greek Street bridge is going to be replaced and there were discussions about widening it. However, the plan is now for the Metrolink tracks to go in a tunnel to the west of the existing cutting and TfGM has determined that the original Network Rail design for the replacement bridge is compatible. The tunnel will not compromise the bridge abutment.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Greek Street bridge is going to be replaced and there were discussions about widening it. However, the plan is now for the Metrolink tracks to go in a tunnel to the west of the existing cutting and TfGM has determined that the original Network Rail design for the replacement bridge is compatible. The tunnel will not compromise the bridge abutment.
That particular bridge has a large roundabout in its centre and carries traffic from a number of directions and I wonder what construction time scale has been envisaged for its completion.

daodao

Established Member
I've done journey time accessibility modelling on the Stockport Metrolink as part of a study. The Metrolink line will definitely be quicker to Trafford Bar and is pretty similar to rail and tram via Cornbrook.

The real game changer is the price. Currently Stockport to Media City at peak times is £4.30 for the tram and £7.70 for rail. So a total of £12. A direct tram would cost £4.70. Even if rail is fully integrated into the Bee Network, it would still £7.10 to go via the city centre and it'd likely limit the number of trains frequency to around every 15 minutes.
Trafford Bar is not a particularly useful destination in its own right. What I referred to is travel times to key destinations beyond Cornbrook (such as the Trafford Centre, Media City and the Old Trafford cricket and football grounds). If these are no quicker using a putative Metrolink line from Stockport compared to existing routes, it does not provide support to justify this new line.

The matter of prices is artificial and merely reflects the fact that use of more than 1 transit mode (heavy rail and tram) is generally more expensive than use of just a single mode. Paradoxically, if passengers could make the journey using the proposed alternative route more cheaply, it actually detracts from the business case as there would be less revenue.

Last edited:

Roger B

Trafford Bar is not a particularly useful destination in its own right. What I referred to is travel times to key destinations beyond Cornbrook (such as the Trafford Centre, Media City and the Old Trafford cricket and football grounds). If these are no quicker using a putative Metrolink line from Stockport compared to existing routes, it does not provide support to justify this new line.

The matter of prices is artificial and merely reflects the fact that use of more than 1 transit mode (heavy rail and tram) is generally more expensive than use of just a single mode. Paradoxically, if passengers could make the journey using the proposed alternative route more cheaply, it actually detracts from the business case as there would be less revenue.
It's suggested that one of the justifications for the line is to relieve congestion from the M60 - ie to seek modal shift from cars to public transport - with associated environmental benefits as well. During peak hours journey times could be quicker by Metrolink than by car along the congested M60.

Whilst there may be a slight decrease in revenue from a minority switching from heavy rail + Metrolink to Metrolink only, wouldn't there also be significant revenue increase from people swapping from their cars, and isn't it this which supports the business case?

daodao

Established Member
It's suggested that one of the justifications for the line is to relieve congestion from the M60 - ie to seek modal shift from cars to public transport - with associated environmental benefits as well. During peak hours journey times could be quicker by Metrolink than by car along the congested M60.
Which particular journeys that currently use the M60 could be made by this new line? I can't think of many, as there is limited access to the M60 from places in South Manchester north of the River Mersey. This proposed extension to Stockport is a Burnham vanity project as a sop to Stockport Borough because they contribute to Metrolink but have no Metrolink lines serving the borough. It is not needed to link Stockport to Manchester.

There is very little left in Stockport town centre to attract traffic. The major department store in Stockport Borough is John Lewis at Cheadle Royal and the largest M&S store serving Stockport Borough is at Handforth Dean. The main hospital serving Stockport is at Stepping Hill, several miles south along the A6. The biggest cinema complex is at Parrs Wood. There are few museums or other tourist attractions in Stockport town centre and it doesn't have much in the way of nightlife, concert venues, theatres or restaurants. Stockport County's ground is situated outside the town centre at Edgeley and even though it has just been promoted [to English football's 3rd tier], doesn't attract the crowds that go to Old Trafford or the Etihad Stadium; it would only be served if the new line ran via Edgeley, which would be a more roundabout route.

Conversion of the line via Reddish to Rose Hill would resolve the issue of no Metrolink services running within Stockport Borough and have many more benefits. It would enable more journeys to be made by Metrolink to the primary destination of Manchester city centre, cost less to run than the current heavy rail dmu service on this route and provide a more frequent service that uses electric traction. No additional construction would be needed in the city centre as trams currently terminating at Piccadllly could be extended along this line, and other than a separate tram line from Ashburys to Piccadilly undercroft the line already exists. This route was part of the original Metrolink proposals but somehow got shelved. Heavy rail links to New Mills Central and beyond would be retained via Guide Bridge.

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
The Trafford Bar and Firswood stops are within walking distance of the football and cricket grounds, and are already used by fans from the East Didsbury and Airport lines. The post match queuing time is much less than to get to Piccadilly from the Old Trafford stop.

Although the time to Cornbrook may be similar to the existing route, it will be a simple cross platform change there for Media City and the Trafford Centre, versus the trek between concourse and undercroft at Piccadilly.

The new line would serve not only Stockport town centre but intermediate communities between Stockport and East Didsbury, who would have a much quicker journey to all those key destinations than going via Stockport station.

There is very little left in Stockport town centre to attract traffic. The major department store in Stockport Borough is John Lewis at Cheadle Royal and the largest M&S store serving Stockport Borough is at Handforth Dean. The main hospital serving Stockport is at Stepping Hill, several miles south along the A6. The biggest cinema complex is at Parrs Wood. There are few museums or other tourist attractions in Stockport town centre and it doesn't have much in the way of nightlife, concert venues, theatres or restaurants. Stockport County's ground is situated outside the town centre at Edgeley and even though it has just been promoted [to English football's 3rd tier], doesn't attract the crowds that go to Old Trafford or the Etihad Stadium; it would only be served if the new line ran via Edgeley, which would be a more roundabout route.
The Merseyway shopping centre, right next to the Interchange, seems well patronised when I visit it. And there is substantial commuting to businesses in the town centre. The new line would stimulate commuting and shopping trips to Stockport from Didsbury and Chorlton, as well as alleviating traffic congestion through modal shift of existing commuters and shoppers. This would provide wider economic benefits beyond those included in a traditional BCR calculation.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There are few museums or other tourist attractions in Stockport town centre and it doesn't have much in the way of nightlife, concert venues, theatres or restaurants.
I believe the Hat Museum in Stockport, since reopening in March 2024, has attracted a large number of visitors, according to the weekly online news issued by the council. What does the large new building in the town centre next to the M60 cater for? What does the Plaza in the town centre usually offer?

The mention of car use on the M60 needs to take into account where the drivers have come from and where they are going to, with many journeys starting and finishing well outside the boders of Greater Manchester.. That pemutation when mathematically calculated means the it would be impossible to provide Metrolink as a replacement.

Last edited:

Grimsby town

But Trafford Bar servers Old Trafford football stadium. So the journeys will be quicker.

I doubt many people use public transport when it costs £13 to get from Stockport to Media City so I'm the loss or revenue isn't a worry.

Its artificial in a sense but as pointed out, there's always going to be issues that a zonal fare makes orbital trips expensive when they have to travel through the city centre.

TheSmiths82

Indeed. As has already been said in other threads, a big benefit will be quicker access to Stockport rail station to connect to rail heading south. For South Manc residents, travelling by bus or car to Stockport station is quicker than travelling to Piccadilly. With Metrolink it will be even easier and quicker.

It would depend where I think,

To where I work Google tells me to get the tram to East Didsbury, then get the 42/23 to Stockport and then the 192 to my place of work. That is three different vehicles and the cost would be huge. I would have to buy a bus and tram all day ticket at peak times. A tram direct to Stockport would avoid all that faff and if it did go to Hazel Grove depending on where the tram stops are I could even get the tram the entire way.

Those that keep saying they don't need the tram have probably not got the 23 in rush hour, it can take nearly half an hour just to get from Chorlton to Didsbury. The 23 is also quite unreliable because it is such a long route there is usually road works some where along the way. I think Cheadle does need a tram service but I remember a quote from a resident there "The reason Cheadle doesn't have a good bus service is because everybody can afford cars here".

But Trafford Bar servers Old Trafford football stadium. So the journeys will be quicker.

I doubt many people use public transport when it costs £13 to get from Stockport to Media City so I'm the loss or revenue isn't a worry.

Its artificial in a sense but as pointed out, there's always going to be issues that a zonal fare makes orbital trips expensive when they have to travel through the city centre.
I have a friend that does that journey, I think she gets the train to Piccadilly then gets the tram to Media City. It must be very expensive.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Eh? Where have you got that fare from? It's £9.20 for an Anytime Day Return or £7.20 for the Off Peak Day Return from Stockport to Media City (Metrolink Zone 1-2). Even 2 x £5.80 singles for the journey doesn't get you to £13.

Grimsby town

Eh? Where have you got that fare from? It's £9.20 for an Anytime Day Return or £7.20 for the Off Peak Day Return from Stockport to Media City (Metrolink Zone 1-2). Even 2 x £5.80 singles for the journey doesn't get you to £13.
It's £7.70 from Stockport to Piccadilly and £4.30 for anytime Metrolink Zone 1-2 fare. £13 was a typo. Its £12. As far as I'm aware, joint Metrolink and rail tickets are off-peak only unless things have changed over the past couple of years.

jfollows

Established Member
It's £7.70 from Stockport to Piccadilly and £4.30 for anytime Metrolink Zone 1-2 fare. £13 was a typo. Its £12. As far as I'm aware, joint Metrolink and rail tickets are off-peak only unless things have changed over the past couple of years.
It’s always been possible to buy peak-time joint tickets, I used them from Wilmslow to Sale in 1996 but today’s tickets from Stockport to zones 1-2 can be seen at https://www.brfares.com/!expert?orig=SPT&dest=QMH&period=20240401
£9.20 anytime but £7.20 CDR with ND restriction (the stupid afternoon peak one). As stated above.

EDIT In 1996 I had the options of
  • AM9 to Piccadilly and tram to Sale
  • 86 + stock to Piccadilly via Styal and tram to Sale
  • AM9 to Stockport, DMU to Navigation Road and tram to Sale

Last edited:

Grimsby town

I have a friend that does that journey, I think she gets the train to Piccadilly then gets the tram to Media City. It must be very expensive.
Yes any multi modal journey is awful for price currently. My partner sometimes gets the train from Old Trafford to Birchwood and it costs £15. It definitely needs sorting out. When it is improved, it will lead to increases in demand. I think there's valid questions whether the Stockport rail corridor could cope with usage at peak times in that scenario.