• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marsh Barton Railway Station Exeter - Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolvercoter

Exeter St Davids to Plymouth is closed every weekend in February so it seems the opportunity has been taken to do some work at Marsh Barton station whilst the line is closed.

Developments include completed base of the up platform, concrete type stuff (screed perhaps?) being laid on the down platform (see below) and, out of view, foundations and concrete structures for the new foot/cycle bridge.

20220212_135743.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Exeter St Davids to Plymouth is closed every weekend in February so it seems the opportunity has been taken to do some work at Marsh Barton station whilst the line is closed.

Developments include completed base of the up platform, concrete type stuff (screed perhaps?) being laid on the down platform (see below) and, out of view, foundations and concrete structures for the new foot/cycle bridge.

View attachment 110078

That’s definitely looking like it’s moving along quickly now. Thanks for posting the photo @Wolvercoter.

Wolvercoter

Picture taken 25/02/2022

20220225_135014a.jpg

Picture taken 26/02/2022. The eagled eyed amongst you will notice that the foot/cycle bridge has been lifted into position. This removes the only decent vantage point of the station for the time being.

20220226_160424a.jpg

Wolvercoter

My train from Teignmouth to Exeter slowed down at Marsh Barton today enabling me to take these photos of the coast bound (down) platform. Platform largely complete (as least from my layperson perspective) - fencing still needs to be erected. Up platform similar although no lampposts on this platform yet. Works around the station are advancing too... the approaches to the footbridge are now in place, car parking area has been laid and cycle stores on both sides have been erected. Plenty still to do but it's taking shape! :)

20221016_143749_edited.jpg20221016_143803_edited.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My train from Teignmouth to Exeter slowed down at Marsh Barton today enabling me to take these photos of the coast bound (down) platform. Platform largely complete (as least from my layperson perspective) - fencing still needs to be erected. Up platform similar although no lampposts on this platform yet. Works around the station are advancing too... the approaches to the footbridge are now in place, car parking area has been laid and cycle stores on both sides have been erected. Plenty still to do but it's taking shape! :)

View attachment 122217View attachment 122218

Thanks for the update @Wolvercoter. It’s taking a while but we’re starting to get there now.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Looks like good progress. I may have missed it but is there an estimated opening date for the station?

pdeaves

Established Member
Looks like good progress. I may have missed it but is there an estimated opening date for the station?
I'm not aware one has been announced. At the last I heard, construction should be complete in November but there are other formalities to complete so December timetable change looks optimistic.

(edit: added missing word)

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Opening apparently delayed until 'early 2023'. Realtime Trains shows 'service stop unadvertised' well into the new year.

Link here to GWR page about the station.
Link here to Devon County page showing the schedule.

davetheguard

Established Member
Station name signage on the platforms was being installed when I went through on a train earlier this week.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
"Gateway to the Riverside Valley Park" if I remember correctly.
Glad to see that my eagle eyesight hasn’t deteriorated quite as much as opticians keep trying to suggest then ;) (I’m not wearing glasses for anyone!)

Does anyone even know what the Riverside Valley Park is, let alone if it’s significant enough to warrant a mention on the station nameboard?

Wolvercoter

Glad to see that my eagle eyesight hasn’t deteriorated quite as much as opticians keep trying to suggest then ;) (I’m not wearing glasses for anyone!)

Does anyone even know what the Riverside Valley Park is, let alone if it’s significant enough to warrant a mention on the station nameboard?

Yep... I live next to it. Large green area within the city boundary with riverside and canalside walks, cycle ways and The Double Locks pub.

Having access to that green space is what kept me sane during lockdowns!

As well as signage, work continues on access. Ramps to the foot/cycle bridge are largely complete. Work around the road entrance on the Marsh Barton side has started. Lots of fencing has been erected too. When I cycled nearby last week, I could see that the electric supply is working as the station lights were on. Pic below also shows PIS equipment.

P1160560.JPG

Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Well I suppose’Gateway to the Riverside Valley Park’ sounds better than ‘Welcome to the Industrial Estate’ of which it was generally built to serve. Excellent views of the waste incinerator too!

ExRes

Established Member
Any news on the progress towards opening the station? I saw something on one of the ad infested news sites about possibly the spring, also the proposed station near Torquay Hospital, the name escapes me though, thanks

REVUpminster

I thought it had been renamed during the planning process to the rather unattractive "Torquay Gateway"?
It appeared in one magazine as Torquay Gateway so someone changed the wikipedia entry. The council still call it Edginswell https://www.torbay.gov.uk/news/pr8239/ and the new station for which plans have still not been submitted, with lifts instead of ramps, so when approved the money set aside for it will not be enough. The previous plans approval 2016 expired November 2019

If it did have another name I would call it Torquay Riviera Way for Torbay Hospital and The Riviera Stadium if Torquay United ever relocate to a nearby site part of which is now earmarked for a solar farm.

davetheguard

Established Member
I thought it had been renamed during the planning process to the rather unattractive "Torquay Gateway"?

This the first I've heard of that idea, but I've googled it and sure enough as mentioned by REVUpminster above, a wikipedia entry comes up.

Torquay Gateway sounds pretty meaningless to me, but I admit I don't know the area that well.

Still, I'm sure there's plenty of time to change the name yet again between now and opening if required!

REVUpminster

This the first I've heard of that idea, but I've googled it and sure enough as mentioned by REVUpminster above, a wikipedia entry comes up.

Torquay Gateway sounds pretty meaningless to me, but I admit I don't know the area that well.

Still, I'm sure there's plenty of time to change the name yet again between now and opening if required!
It is on the edge of Torbay Council's area and the council has and will be building housing right up to the border with Teignbridge Council.

Status
Not open for further replies.