• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marston Vale rail replacement bus reliability

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hi all

Intending to use this route for a work excursion this coming Friday and wondering if the rail replacement service is generally reliable or should I build in tons of extra time for it to be late or not turn up all together? Also is there a non-stop fast service from end to end or do all services call at all stations?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spaceship323

Hi all

Intending to use this route for a work excursion this coming Friday and wondering if the rail replacement service is generally reliable or should I build in tons of extra time for it to be late or not turn up all together? Also is there a non-stop fast service from end to end or do all services call at all stations?

Thanks
There is a fast and a slow bus that both leave Bletchley at the same time so you need to be on the right one...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It shouldn't no show as it's dedicated vehicles. But it is a very poor quality operation just staffed by the bus drivers and it all seems to be cheapest possible with bad quality vehicles some of the time (though you may be lucky and get a nice coach).

I would arrive in good time and given your disability make yourself known at the booking office so they can assist, assuming it's open. Or if it's possible to avoid it by travelling another way (be that via the MML or the X5 from MKC) I would.

andythebrave

The semi fast is usually a coach, timekeeping is not too bad but there are occasions when it just doesn't show up, normally when it is especially cold or rainy.
The all stations is usually a minibus and the drivers have a habit of missing some intermediate stations and making out of course stops nowhere near stations.
You may, of course, be lucky and find yourself down here on one of the pot luck train operating days which is two morning and two afternoon round trips.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Thanks all, extremely helpful, I don't intend to avoid it and I don't have the same allergy to bus replacement so some on here do but the advice is much appreciated in indeed and allows me to plan accordingly, I wouldn't be so bothered if I wasn't doing it for work but as I am thought I would plan

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It runs fine - it just isn't the greatest quality of vehicle. The stopper service is tortuous mini bus but gives you a nice tour of the countryside. If going from Bedford to Bletchley or vice versa get the semi fast bus

However if you just need to make the journey between MK & Bedford get the X5. it is a double decker these days but still a decent enough service.

There are also a couple of trains running at various times: two morning and two afternoon round trips.
The all stations is usually a minibus and the drivers have a habit of missing some intermediate stations and making out of course stops nowhere near stations.
indeed! they make it up as a they go along. They tend to run a "regular friendly" service lets say LNWR simply wont hear it mind.

There is a fast and a slow bus that both leave Bletchley at the same time so you need to be on the right one...
Big bus fast, little bus slow. If in doubt ask driver if he stops at Kempston Hardwick ;)

sibbahz

I find the “fast” is usually a coach, stopper is a minibus or transit van with seats.
Generally fairly reliable although do have a habit of skipping stops late in the evening.
Also, they have a habit of just waiting in the car park at Bletchley and won’t always call at the actual rail replacement bus stop, so make yourself known if travelling from there.

I live along the route.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Also, they have a habit of just waiting in the car park at Bletchley and won’t always call at the actual rail replacement bus stop, so make yourself known if travelling from there.
absolutely: speak to any staff on site or you might get left behind! Arrangements can be a bit casual

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
absolutely: speak to any staff on site or you might get left behind! Arrangements can be a bit casual

Must admit it very much has the feel of public transport in places like Albania - it's there but it's sometimes a bit non obvious, but if you ask around you'll find out about it easily enough.

I must admit I see that as a rather poor show as it needn't be like that.

Spaceship323

Well it looks as if the natives are friendly anyway, thank you to at least two people who I know are local to the route for coming in here. Probably more as well come to that, appreciate it.
Shame you said you were going this Friday as the full time rail service restarts on Monday

Last edited:
Shame you said you were going this Friday as the rail service restarts on Monday

Fantastic News!
Having read the article I may well partake of the £1 single between stations offer. A cheap way of perhaps scratching off the Stops for My 'Shack Attack'...!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
With a quick note of thanks to the various people including several friendly locals who assisted when I was planning this trip, really rather enjoyable placement bus journey on Friday on a comfortable coach with a nice driver in the sunshine, in terms of passenger comfort coach beat cl150 hands down but could never compete on journey time

Whilst slower I found it a very cost effective way of coming out of Kent out of morning peak time but then spending very little in comparison to get from London to my workplace for the weekend on the outskirts of MK, quick shout out to the efficient operation that is Skyline Taxis who did a couple of really good transfers for me over the weekend as well