• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maximum Journey Times now on Oysterfares Fare Finder

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks to a very persistent user of my forum, TfL have released the data for maximum journey times for all PAYG journeys. I have incorporated these into the results for the fare finder.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rob.rjt

Interesting - when I requested the journey time data about 12 months ago under FOI, TfL rejected the request under S43(2) as it would "prejudice their commercial interests", then on review, that it would also be rejected under S31(1)(a) "prevention and detection of crime". I wonder what has changed in the mean time.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Thanks to a very persistent user of my forum, TfL have released the data for maximum journey times for all PAYG journeys. I have incorporated these into the results for the fare finder.
Really helpful, particularly for journeys outside the Zonal structure, where there wasn't any real guidance.

akm

What do you reckon Mike, extension fares outside London next?

redreni

Jolly good!

The tremendous amount of work you put into your site (much of which is work TfL ought to do, frankly, ideally with some of the costs defrayed to other participating operators who are responsible for much of the complexity) doesn't go unnoticed and is greatly appreciated.

Fenchurch SP

Thanks, I've always thought this information would be useful.
Does it not make any difference whether you are using the Default or Not Via Zone 1 route?

redreni

I think everything is easier to use than TfL's own systems.
The fact you have to navigate through about 4 or 5 pages of menus, scroll down, download and then wade through a massively long PDF to find out the daily and weekly caps beyond zone 9 on the TfL website is absolutely appalling.

Personally I don't think contactless PAYG should be allowed to operate without considerably greater transparency around fares. If I had my way they'd have little option but to bring Mike in as a consultant and pay him to incorporate his fare finder's functionality into their website and app, in order to satisfy the requirements of a reasonable and competent regulator in relation to transparency over pricing. The other participating operators should also be required to provide comprehensive fares and capping information for PAYG journeys undertaken wholly or partly on their services.

blueberry11

Generally, if I were to have fun on the underground system, I would limit myself to 90 minutes as a safe measure. I think some of those having fun on the underground didn't realise that additional costs apply for staying too long.

Those using the system normally generally don't even know this exists, but luckily, would only occur in exceptional cases.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Interesting - when I requested the journey time data about 12 months ago under FOI, TfL rejected the request under S43(2) as it would "prejudice their commercial interests", then on review, that it would also be rejected under S31(1)(a) "prevention and detection of crime". I wonder what has changed in the mean time.
The case was referred to the ICO with some compelling reasons. In particular that condition 3.15 of the conditions of travel said that full information was available on the TfL website.
3.15 Your pay as you go journey must be completed by touching out at the end of your journey
within a time limit from when you touched in at the start of your journey. The time limit varies
between 70 minutes for a Monday to Friday daytime journey within a single fare zone, up to 5
hours and 15 minutes for a longer distance journey on a Sunday or public holiday. Full
information is provided at tfl.gov.uk. If the time between touching in at the start and touching
out at the end of your journey is more than the applicable time limit you will be charged more
than the pay as you go fare for your journey. If this happens, you will need to call TfL
Customer Services so that they may, depending on the explanation given for the journey
having taken longer than the appropriate time limit, refund any over-payment

What do you reckon Mike, extension fares outside London next?
That's certainly a very opaque factor at present.
Does it not make any difference whether you are using the Default or Not Via Zone 1 route?
As mentioned, the time limit is for the journey irrespective of route. There's a latest news article on my site giving further details about how it all works.
For most of us, more than 90 minutes on the underground has long since ceased to be fun.
Indeed. I avoid unless necessary.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. They are appreciated.

Somewhere

For most of us, more than 90 minutes on the underground has long since ceased to be fun.
I would rather walk. I pick the appropriate terminal from the Southern Region from where I travel, and walk to Euston, Kings Cross or wherever.
The Elizabeth Line means I can even get to Paddington by changing at Farringdon. Before Elizabeth Line, I would walk to Paddington from Victoria

Haywain

Veteran Member
I would rather walk. I pick the appropriate terminal from the Southern Region from where I travel, and walk to Euston, Kings Cross or wherever.
The Elizabeth Line means I can even get to Paddington by changing at Farringdon. Before Elizabeth Line, I would walk to Paddington from Victoria
Well, that's fine if all your journeys are cross London journeys. But people have other reasons for using the underground.

Somewhere

Well, that's fine if all your journeys are cross London journeys. But people have other reasons for using the underground.
When you're further out its perhaps not so much of an issue. I normally try to avoid Central London to Central London. If you know your way around, nine times out of ten you can avoid the Underground

redreni

Yeah, that's a nice walk.

If the walk is pleasant and I've got the time I like to avoid the tube too.

etr221

The case was referred to the ICO with some compelling reasons. In particular that condition 3.15 of the conditions of travel said that full information was available on the TfL website.

3.15 Your pay as you go journey must be completed by touching out at the end of your journey within a time limit from when you touched in at the start of your journey. The time limit varies between 70 minutes for a Monday to Friday daytime journey within a single fare zone, up to 5 hours and 15 minutes for a longer distance journey on a Sunday or public holiday.
I'm wondering what journey(s) have the highest time limit - reaching the 5 hours 15 minutes quoted. The highest I've found from the Fares Finder are 4 hours 50 minutes, from the Thames Valley Branch termini (Henley-on-Thames or Marlow) to the other side of London)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't think any get that high now. Originally Amersham to Shenfield was quoted as the longest being 9-1-12 or 20 zones, but that is now 16 zones. The highest value in the dataset is 18 zones, which includes those you've found.