• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and Eastern Scottish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Its displayed like this due to drivers hours regulations. Service 4 from Glasgow to Ayr is the same ' Kilmarnock for Ayr.
This was debunked a while ago; the relevant department confirmed that there is no need to show "x for y" on the destination equipment, it is allowed to just show "y". I will search for the post about it tomorrow and will link it if I find it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevenedin

Established Member
I noticed that all of the Eastern Scottish buses (that I saw today in Edinburgh) have the new font on the destination screens and they just either say Livingston or Edinburgh or St John’s Hospital (without the apostrophe).

Observer

I noticed that all of the Eastern Scottish buses (that I saw today in Edinburgh) have the new font on the destination screens and they just either say Livingston or Edinburgh or St John’s Hospital (without the apostrophe).
Because it was said in the official Facebook group a while ago that all McGills services were all going to be moved to one line destinations with no more via points.

Midland Bluebird will move to the same format once the new network changes take effect, as per their commercial officer who is dealing with all of this.
1691534428745.png
All the regions will now just have the route number and the main destinations only. I've recently just reprogrammed all of the Scotland East displays and I believe Livingston has updated them today! The rest of the Midland Bluebird depots will be updated prior to the network revision.

(again, as a reminder, you need to join to access, but they will accept you)

Mod note: Please copy and paste the text from the post you've linked to, rather than posting a screenshot. This makes your post more accessible. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Metal Mickey

Because it was said in the official Facebook group a while ago that all McGills services were all going to be moved to one line destinations with no more via points.
A retrograde step. Not very helpful for long distance routes which take in numerous locations like the 26 or X37.

Voyager lad

I’ve just seen a few of the new style destination screens in Edinburgh, and I’m not a huge fan. For example, on the X24, having ‘St John’s Hospital’ all squashed in small text in one line makes it harder to see from a distance. Also, wouldn’t it be better for it just to say Livingston? Many people from outwith Edinburgh and West Lothian won’t necessarily know where the hospital is. I agree with cutting down on unnecessary via points or scrolling text, but you surely still need some level of detail

stevenedin

Established Member
I’ve just seen a few of the new style destination screens in Edinburgh, and I’m not a huge fan. For example, on the X24, having ‘St John’s Hospital’ all squashed in small text in one line makes it harder to see from a distance. Also, wouldn’t it be better for it just to say Livingston? Many people from outwith Edinburgh and West Lothian won’t necessarily know where the hospital is. I agree with cutting down on unnecessary via points or scrolling text, but you surely still need some level of detail
I still think that it should say St John’s Hospital on one line then Livingston below it.

‘Livingston’ destination for the X22 is ok as it just goes to Livingston Centre although I preferred it when it said Livingston then Bus Terminal on a separate line.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
I still think that it should say St John’s Hospital on one line then Livingston below it.

‘Livingston’ destination for the X22 is ok as it just goes to Livingston Centre although I preferred it when it said Livingston then Bus Terminal on a separate line.
If you can't easily fit the whole text, how about "St John's H" or "St John's ['H' hospital logo]"?

overthewater

Established Member
Did anyone see the protest today? Its really Falkirk council they should be complaining to...

Falkirk travel: Residents protest outside McGill's depot over loss of Tamfourhill bus service​

A protest over the loss of a vital Falkirk bus service sparked a protest by angry residents – who said they wanted to highlight the impact the decision would have.

Around 80 people attended the peaceful demonstration on Friday morning, outside McGill’s bus depot in Larbert, to make their feelings known about the end of their local service – which is set to stop on Sunday.

Chanting “save our bus”, they left the bus company in no doubt about the impact that axing the service will have.

For a community with no doctor, chemist or supermarket, the number 6 bus service is a lifeline in an area – on a steep hill – where car ownership is lower than other areas and there is a large elderly population.

Janet Middleton, 82, had made her own placard for the demonstration, determined to get her message across.

She said: “This will leave me completely isolated. I won’t be able to go out. I have a half mile walk to the bus stop and that is okay when I’m feeling okay and in good weather, but if the weather is bad or I’m not feeling so good, I can’t walk half a mile.”

Another pensioner, Jean Anderson, 81, has to attend Falkirk Community Hospital regularly and says she doesn’t know how she’ll manage with no bus service.

“I stay right up the top of the hill so I have to get a bus even if I’m going to the hub. I will have to get a taxi which is expensive – my family all work so I can’t ask them.”

And it is not just the elderly and disabled who will be affected – many people also rely on the bus to get to work.
Mum of four Beth Wotherspoon attended the demo with seven-month-old son Albie, as she’s worried about how she and her family will be able to get out and about with no bus service.
“It will be a nightmare for us, but I’m also worried about my elderly mum and my sister, who is disabled. The bus is their way of getting out and doing stuff.”
Lynne Boslem, one of the organisers, said it was vital to make people understand just how isolated people will be without any bus service

She said: “For an able-bodied person it’s a 20 minute walk to the nearest bus stop but for someone with mobility issues it’s a 40-minute walk.
“It’s also important to understand that services like Dial-a-Journey (transport service for those with mobility problems) are already over-subscribed, while many people aren’t eligible.
“They’re not taking away a bus service – they’re taking away the only bus service.”

Several children and young people also attended the protest, including members of the local Youth Action Group, who made colourful posters.

Leo Cierpikowski, 13, Alba Coventry, 9, Ailie Boslem, 11, and Daisy Carmichael, 13, all spoke about how the cut would affect them.

Leo said: “We have our Young Scot cards but there is no bus so we are losing our right to free travel.”

There are also concerns that the Tamfourhill school bus is currently under threat as part of the council’s review of school transport.

“We were told that they could use the service bus – now there won’t be a service bus,” said Lynne.
She also spoke on behalf of one of the members of a Recovery Group that meets regularly at Tamfourhill Community Hub.
One recovering addict, who now helps out regularly in the Hub, told Lynne that the stress of being cut-off with no bus service has led to her thinking about drinking again.
“She feels completely isolated – she won’t be able to go anywhere or see anyone.” said Lynne.

The community feels badly let down by the bus company McGill’s, which took over services last year, and say they don’t understand why the service is not commercially viable.
“They’re putting buses every fifteen minutes in Grangemouth but we won’t have anything all,” said Lynne.
Community councillor Shona Craig said: “We’re not asking them to give us a deluxe bus service. We just want a service that will allow people to get their work and to the doctor and shops. Do they not know what this will do to our community?”
Many people believe that McGill’s expected Falkirk Council to pick up the £130,000 bill to subsidise the service – but the council has been clear that it does not have the budget to step in.

Local councillors Lorna Binnie and Euan Stainbank both attended to show their support for the community as did the Green MSP for Central Scotland, Gillian Mackay.
They are all hopeful that some sort of solution can be found and say they are continuing to work with Falkirk Council and Scottish Canals.
Previously replying to the criticism on social media of the decision to change the route, Alex Hornby, McGill’s group managing director, said: “We have liaised well in advance with the council and the community at large. Not shying away from the issue but this route in this case can’t survive without funding to support them given low patronage and accelerating costs.”

stevenedin

Established Member
Alex Hornby has posted a couple of photos on twitter today confirm these buses will enter service on Friday
View attachment 141065
View attachment 141064
Looks very smart. I’m not sure about the over 60s part. It sort of singles people out.

https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/79089/Subsidised-bus-network-changes-agreed Changes to the West Lothian Council-funded bus services have been agreed.
16 August
WLC Logo Placeholder image

Following a review of local bus services and competitive tendering process, Council Executive have approved proposals to significantly revise the bus services for the first time since 2016, after a three-year delay due to covid.

This will see the majority of the current 18 council-subsided services continue to operate, with some revisions. This includes maintaining the service 21 Blackridge to Armadale and continuing the funding for the 23 Greenrigg to Whitburn service put in place after commercial changes left Blackridge and Greenrigg without bus services.

Six services will no longer be provided from October 2023 and these are: Service 449 Bo'ness to Bathgate; Service 50 Boghall to Harthill; Service 7 Livingston to South Queensferry; Service 31S Bathgate to Linlithgow (Sundays only); and Service 8 Boghall to Bathgate. Funding for Service F45 Linlithgow to Bo'ness service, which is contracted by Falkirk Council, will also end at this time.
Bus fares will also rise for the first time since 2016 in line with rising costs, with an increase of between 10p and 30p per journey and a flat fare of £2 for town centre services. The majority of bus travellers use concessionary cards, so would not be affected.

Full details of all changes will be published on the council's website shortly, once the contract process has been concluded with the bus operators.

Executive councillor for the environment and sustainability Tom Conn said: "The West Lothian bus network has changed hugely since 2016, and the changes to our subsidised services reflect what is happening with commercial services across Scotland.

"Less bus users, increasing costs and driver shortages has led to West Lothian's commercial bus network being reduced significantly in recent years.

"The council has maintained funding for bus services despite a predicted £39 million budget gap over the next five years to keep our communities.

"However, we do not have the resources to backfill commercial service reductions, and it would cost an additional £500,000 per year just to maintain the current like-for-like services.

"We believe the redesigned contracts are sustainable, prioritises key services and ensures the majority of local residents have access bus services for work, leisure and access essential services. It also offers scope for future contract changes, if all the tenders can be agreed within the existing budget."

Currently around 80% of the bus network in West Lothian is commercial, with 20% of services subsidised by the council.

The council aims to support public transport where possible to ensure 90% of local residents have access to an hourly or better service daytime service Monday to Saturday. However, the council is legally not allowed to take action that would inhibit competition in the internal market.
It looks like the Sunday 31 & F45 are being withdrawn.

Also the extensions to the 21 and 23 have been renewed.

overthewater

Established Member
Service F45 isn't being withdrawn, it just West Lothian council will no longer help pay for the service.

Stan Drews

Established Member
470 has been sold back to First along with another. Apparently there are more to come.
Just to follow up on this, a total of 7 Streetlites have been recorded by the company as returned to First Bus. They are 0405/14/7 (47449/59/48) and Max variants 0419/24/70/4 (63220/187/272/6)

WestieBus

Could McGill's consider at one point commencing routes into rural Stirling in partnership with Stirling Council. Currently, villages like Fintry and Tyndrum lack a proper bus services and other villages like Drymen only have a bus route to the town they're not culturally related to. Argyll and Bute tenders the hell out of their routes and almost every hamlet is covered there, so I don't see why Stirling Council can't in rural Stirlingshire with larger villages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw 06 Plate Dundee Gemini’s in Larbert depot yesterday, whilst passing by around lunchtime.

Highland050261

On Moderation
Just to follow up on this, a total of 7 Streetlites have been recorded by the company as returned to First Bus. They are 0405/14/7 (47449/59/48) and Max variants 0419/24/70/4 (63220/187/272/6)
I see 115-119 have been sold aswell.

Voyager lad

Could McGill's consider at one point commencing routes into rural Stirling in partnership with Stirling Council. Currently, villages like Fintry and Tyndrum lack a proper bus services and other villages like Drymen only have a bus route to the town they're not culturally related to. Argyll and Bute tenders the hell out of their routes and almost every hamlet is covered there, so I don't see why Stirling Council can't in rural Stirlingshire with larger villages.
I’ve always thought Fintry really could use a bus. It’s a lovely little village with a growing population. As a minimum you could run it to Balfron but it would be good to actually run it right through to Kirkintilloch (via Lennoxtown) at the other end to really connect it to a proper town with more shops and facilities. In some ways it could even be branded up as a scenic route to mirror what Stagecoach do with routes in the Lake District - as it would pass the infamous ‘Car Park in the Sky’ which has fantastic views and lots of nearby walking routes.

I always feel Drymen really needs a proper link to Glasgow and Stirling - it’s another major gateway to lots of walking routes and outdoor activities

InOban

Established Member
Tyndrum now has a daily service to Edinburgh via Stirling. (978 citylink from Oban ) And has 5 buses a day to Glasgow. The question is, why is it in Stirling?

trei2k

Tyndrum now has a daily service to Edinburgh via Stirling. (978 citylink from Oban ) And has 5 buses a day to Glasgow. The question is, why is it in Stirling?

Plus the difficult to find 160/S60 route on 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month. https://www.mcgillsscotlandeast.co.uk/services/MBLB/160

It is a shame that a couple of the 59 services from Stirling to Callander can't be extended. It they could connect with some ScotRail services help avoid the need to go via Glasgow.

overthewater

Established Member

Was the last proper route not the 507? Must be around 10 years ago now?

WestieBus

Still not frequent enough. They can connect with the 913 at Lix Toll for the C60 to Callander, but thats still only 2 journeys per day

Was the last proper route not the 507? Must be around 10 years ago now?
McGills renumbered it and the 513 to fit with the rest of the Balfron school routes. There used to be the 313 from Balloch to Balfron via Drymen as well as the 8 from Glasgow to Stirling via Drymen. Royal Mail used to operate route 7 from Balfron to Fintry. Tbf I do think the 309 could be extended to Balfron and Fintry to give Drymen and Fintry proper services

The village has always culturally been part of Perthshire and later Stirlingshire, considering how the village falls in the River Tay basin, as well as Callander being the closest town to Tyndrum.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

From 1975-96, Tyndrum (and Crianlarich) were part of Central Regional Council, which that covered all of the FK postcode area.

The Blane Valley (G63 postcode) has always to the best of my knowledge has been in Stirlingshire due to being on that side of the Campsie Hills, but unsure if it was part of Strathclyde RC or Central RC.

InOban

Established Member
The fact is that most residents necessary journeys (supermarket , Dentist, bank, hospital etc, ) will be to either Oban, Dumbarton or Glasgow

alphabravo43

From 1975-96, Tyndrum (and Crianlarich) were part of Central Regional Council, which that covered all of the FK postcode area.

The Blane Valley (G63 postcode) has always to the best of my knowledge has been in Stirlingshire due to being on that side of the Campsie Hills, but unsure if it was part of Strathclyde RC or Central RC.
G63 was Central RC, but it’s not specifically just Blane Valley, it’s also the Endrick Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.