• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical for Conductor (intenal ScotRail)

Dispatcher1

Hi, I currently work as a dispatcher and have had an interview for conductor. My question is, would one have to go for a medical for the guards job whilst working as a dispatcher, for the same TOC. Another applicant asked and was told no at the interview, but im not 100% Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3C-

Hi, I currently work as a dispatcher and have had an interview for conductor. My question is, would one have to go for a medical for the guards job whilst working as a dispatcher, for the same TOC. Another applicant asked and was told no at the interview, but im not 100% Thanks in advance.
Hi - you would have to go for a medical - although it’s safety critical, it’s a new role so have to check everything is well

Kojo87

For a Dispatcher role do you need to have a medical ? I've been looking at a vacancy and thinking of applying it says I will need a safety critical medical ? And what's it like working as a dispatcher many thanks ? Good luck with the conductor role

scrapy

Established Member
For a Dispatcher role do you need to have a medical ? I've been looking at a vacancy and thinking of applying it says I will need a safety critical medical ? And what's it like working as a dispatcher many thanks ? Good luck with the conductor role
Yes as a dispatcher, they certainly do have a medical as they have to see that you meet eyesight (including not having colour blindness) requirements, hearing requirements. You also need to be assessed that you don't have any conditions that may stop you doing other aspects of the job such as working outside for long periods or using wheelchair ramps for example.

Kojo87

Yes as a dispatcher, they certainly do have a medical as they have to see that you meet eyesight (including not having colour blindness) requirements, hearing requirements. You also need to be assessed that you don't have any conditions that may stop you doing other aspects of the job such as working outside for long periods or using wheelchair ramps for example.
But it's a different level of medical , compared to say a driver I would imagine ?