• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail 507's/508's

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
The path on Real Time Trains is only from Kirkdale to Seaforth Container Terminal. Given how damaged it is, would it have been wise to attempt to move it hundreds of miles by rail? Perhaps if this damage is contained within a shipping container, it can go for scrap without causing any more.
I would agree it's not a wise idea to move it by rail, although I'd have thought a road movement would have been more likely than a ship movement. How long has it been since a UK train was last moved for scrap by ship?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D821

I would agree it's not a wise idea to move it by rail, although I'd have thought a road movement would have been more likely than a ship movement. How long has it been since a UK train was last moved for scrap by ship?
There is a scrap terminal at the docks, so it might be headed there.

Established Member
When was the last time an accident damaged train which was going for scrap happened to be located where it could be transported to a shipping terminal within a very short distance?
There is a scrap terminal at the docks, so it might be headed there.
Even more likely then. Regardless of how likely it is, it’s happening.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When was the last time an accident damaged train which was going for scrap happened to be located where it could be transported to a shipping terminal within a very short distance?

Even more likely then. Regardless of how likely it is, it’s happening.

There always used to be a big scrapper just the other side of the fence at Kirkdale, I don't think it's there any more but they could otherwise have just craned it over the fence! :)

MR-507508

A relative of mine saw the damaged carriage of 507006 being transported around 16:15 today on the M57 motorway. Any ideas of where it is heading?

DBS92042

Established Member
A relative of mine saw the damaged carriage of 507006 being transported around 16:15 today on the M57 motorway. Any ideas of where it is heading?
Reported as going to Sims Newport for scrapping

Established Member
Are the following still with Merseyrail, or have been withdrawn/sent for scrap?

507020 (I believe this had fire damage a while ago)

I am doing an audit of what former BR stock I require for haulage.
All 507s except 507022 and 507006 are still in service with Merseyrail. 507006 could be seen at Kirkdale until yesterday. 508104 is also still in service.

Liverpool 507

508125 is the recent victim to be tagged, having been done overnight. Currently running ECS from Southport to Kirkdale as VSTP 5X04. Will most likely go over to Birkenhead North tonight.

prod_pep

Established Member
507004 has had the vinyls on its yellow side replaced following its severe graffiti attack of a few months ago. It looks much better and it's nice to see care being taken over the 507/8 exteriors despite impending withdrawal.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Was on one of these for the short journey from Bidston to Liverpool yesterday. They're definitely feeling their age and need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

karlbbb

Was on one of these for the short journey from Bidston to Liverpool yesterday. They're definitely feeling their age and need to be replaced sooner rather than later.
It's certainly a shame going past the lovely new 777s sat in Kirkdale every morning! Hopefully Merseyrail are close to ending the DOO/guard issue and getting the 777s out there.

Vinnym

It's certainly a shame going past the lovely new 777s sat in Kirkdale every morning! Hopefully Merseyrail are close to ending the DOO/guard issue and getting the 777s out there.
Spoke to a Merseyrail driver recently. He said that apart from the guard issues there has been very little driver training to date. Looks like it will be a long wait for the new trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Spoke to a Merseyrail driver recently. He said that apart from the guard issues there has been very little driver training to date. Looks like it will be a long wait for the new trains.

It's probably more to do with COVID than DOO, I reckon. Without COVID I'd be surprised if they hadn't just fitted guard controls.

karlbbb

Getting back on topic slightly, I've noticed when I've been in a 6-car train (2 x 3-car) that acceleration in particular is a little.. "bumpy", almost as though the two sets are having a little fight until the speed picks up. Are the units just not that great at syncing their power output or am I just expecting too much of 40 year old trains? :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Getting back on topic slightly, I've noticed when I've been in a 6-car train (2 x 3-car) that acceleration in particular is a little.. "bumpy", almost as though the two sets are having a little fight until the speed picks up. Are the units just not that great at syncing their power output or am I just expecting too much of 40 year old trains? :D

They've always done that to some extent, even 3 car sets.

Bow Fell

Sometimes there are 6 cars marshalled together to ‘bury’ a power fault, especially if the traction motors are completely dead, so it might be noticeable the other feels like it’s getting shoved or pulled.

507 001

Established Member
A lot of the time it’s just the cam shaft control gear switching out resistances, each time it does you get a small increase in power at the rail, hence the ‘jolt’.

andytriv

A lot of the time it’s just the cam shaft control gear switching out resistances, each time it does you get a small increase in power at the rail, hence the ‘jolt’.
I always thought the 508's where Thyristor controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.