• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

777016 running today with one of the end-carriage doors out-of-use. You can definitely feel how slowing this is at busy stations when the entire front carriage has to go into the second car to get off.

I've been on a few now which have one of the end doors out of use, what isn't helping the matter is the train managers don't really announce that the door is out of use, and there are no large signs to suggest that it isn't in operation. The only indicator is that the ring around the button is illuminated red - how many people are realistically going to pay attention to that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The only indicator is that the ring around the button is illuminated red - how many people are realistically going to pay attention to that?
None at all if it's the same type of button we're getting on other new stock which lights up red if anyone even leans against it when it's not cut in.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
None at all if it's the same type of button we're getting on other new stock which lights up red if anyone even leans against it when it's not cut in.

The 777s have a feature common on other Stadlers which is that if you press it when the doors aren't activated they will open automatically next time they are released. To indicate this the door surround lights up white. I don't know if other UK Stadlers have this but it's near-universal on European ones.

If out of use there's also a "door out of use" indicator at about eye level, though I'd agree it's not very prominent. Lighting up the surround in red might make it clearer.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah... that's different from the ones I was thinking of, then. Most of the new stuff down here in London lights up red on every button for one set of doors if any one of them is touched or leaned on when not cut in, but doesn't automatically open - needs to be touched again when it lights up green.

I was thinking that if people were used to that, they might not realise that the red on the 777s means out of order; they might just think someone's leaning against one of the other buttons for the same doorway.

I was thinking that if people were used to that, they might not realise that the red on the 777s means out of order; they might just think someone's leaning against one of the other buttons for the same doorway.

Most aren't used to buttons at all on the existing stock. The guard opened all doors at each station. I've watched many people stood at the doors expecting them to open for them, without a clue they need to do it for themselves now.

If out of use there's also a "door out of use" indicator at about eye level, though I'd agree it's not very prominent. Lighting up the surround in red might make it clearer.

Can't say I've ever noticed the indicator. On the 50Xs, Merseyrail put large stickers on the windows if the doors that are out of use, perhaps they need to start doing that on the 777s too (even though people still stood at those doors expecting them to open despite the large signs).

Established Member
Not a complaint (for once), but an observation. I was on 777049 yesterday and at a few of the stations en-route to Chester, the doors nearest to where I was sitting opened without being prompted by a boarding or alighting passenger. Has anyone else encountered this before?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Not a complaint (for once), but an observation. I was on 777049 yesterday and at a few of the stations en-route to Chester, the doors nearest to where I was sitting opened without being prompted by a boarding or alighting passenger. Has anyone else encountered this before?
It is an option that is chosen by the driver, for all doors to open at once when they press the release.

Killingworth

Established Member
It is an option that is chosen by the driver, for all doors to open at once when they press the release.

Passengers can be excused for being confused if some doors on new stock open but without any action from them and others don't - and some may not open at all.

Rick1984

I'm surprised they're allowed to use a carriage with no working door. I do know on the continent there bare carriages with no doors though

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm surprised they're allowed to use a carriage with no working door. I do know on the continent there bare carriages with no doors though

It's allowed because locking it out doesn't lock the emergency release out. On stock where it does if all doors on one side of the coach are locked out then the coach has to be too.

karlbbb

I've been on a few now which have one of the end doors out of use, what isn't helping the matter is the train managers don't really announce that the door is out of use, and there are no large signs to suggest that it isn't in operation. The only indicator is that the ring around the button is illuminated red - how many people are realistically going to pay attention to that?
Luckily, at least in my experience this morning, the train manager did announce that the door was out of action on approach to Sandhills and Moorfields, the "Door not in use" light was illuminated (although this isn't exactly blinding), and further large stickers had been placed on the windows marking the door as "Out of use".

jamesst

Its allowed as the train is now classed as walk through so a second set of doors can be used.
On the 50x stock if all doors in one coach were locked out of use then the train was out of service.

8A Rail

Established Member
Since my previous post, both No 777032 and 034 arrived at Kirkdale Depot from WOJN MSC Sidings early this morning (Wed 10/01). Hauled by Power Cars No 43465 and No 43468 with Class 20's, No 20007 and 20142 at rear.

Updated Arrival List as follows:
Kirkdale C.S. = 001 to 028 inclusive, 030, 031, 032, 034, 036, 049, 140, 142, 144, 146, 148, 150 and 152.

At some stations where there's low patronage, it makes sense for drivers to not automatically open all doors. On the other hand, it is very odd that drivers aren't opening all doors at Central stations where most people will be getting on/off, as well as terminus stations.

karlbbb

Headbolt off again this morning.
Cancellation on the Ormskirk too.

I’d like to know who decided to send the replacement 0704 Ormskirk-Central service all the way up to Ormskirk instead of just turning back at Town Green. The replacement service would have been on time but now 5G22 is sat at a red before Ormskirk, and I’m assuming they’re having to manoeuvre 2G23 which was already sat at Ormskirk, backwards to accommodate 5G22/2G22 :s

prod_pep

Established Member
An atrocious start on the West Kirby line too today. The first train, 2W00, failed to start and a 507 has gone over to replace it, whilst 2W01 has a 507 covering from the word go. Now 2W02 (777012) has run into strife at Moreton and has been reset at least once. Still there now, visible from Bidston.

We're almost at the one-year anniversary of these heaps entering traffic and this is where we are.

Last edited:

Sam 76

I’m not sure the 777s like the cold … o_O
An atrocious start on the West Kirby line too today. The first train, 2W00, failed to start and a 507 has gone over to replace it, whilst 2W01 has a 507 covering from the word go. Now 2W02 (777012) has run into strife at Moreton and has been reset at least once. Still there now, visible from Bidston.

We're almost at the one-year anniversary of these heaps entering traffic and this is where we are.

L401CJF

Established Member

777023 just arrived into Chester with a particularly bad sounding wheel flat.

karlbbb

Cancellation on the Ormskirk too.

I’d like to know who decided to send the replacement 0704 Ormskirk-Central service all the way up to Ormskirk instead of just turning back at Town Green. The replacement service would have been on time but now 5G22 is sat at a red before Ormskirk, and I’m assuming they’re having to manoeuvre 2G23 which was already sat at Ormskirk, backwards to accommodate 5G22/2G22 :s
So 2G22 ran in between 2G23 and 2G24, then terminated at Walton. Why on earth couldn't it have just been started from Town Green like it normally would? Would have stopped the extra issues on the Ormskirk line this morning.

And an awful high pitched whining noise inside! Is it the heating?
If the high-pitched noise happens under braking it seems to be some kind of interference with the regen braking and the PA system. It happens on a good number of units.

Last edited:

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
So 2G22 ran in between 2G23 and 2G24, then terminated at Walton. Why on earth couldn't it have just been started from Town Green like it normally would? Would have stopped the extra issues on the Ormskirk line this morning.

If the high-pitched noise happens under braking it seems to be some kind of interference with the regen braking and the PA system. It happens on a good number of units.

I think it was the heating. It was whilst we were sat at Chester waiting to depart. It stopped when the fan speed of the heating reduced.

prod_pep

Established Member
Some bizarre decisions across the network this morning. The errant 2W02 was sent around the loop 25 minutes late, followed by the train it had delayed, a 507 on 2W03. This led to both services being cancelled at Birkenhead North on their way back and thus no service between North and West Kirby from 07.11 to 08.28. A considerable crowd of distinctly disgruntled passengers were present at Birkenhead North.

Absolutely mind-boggling the 507 wasn't turned back at Birkenhead North and its passengers passed to the following New Brighton - Liverpool train.